Does 3M make anyhing sub-par?

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Some of their paint polishes and waxes are pretty meh. I know they have better stuff for commercial use in body shops but I'd rather buy Mother's or Meguiars.

3M acquired Meguiars a number of years ago.

Wasn't really impressed with the quality of their "Bair Hugger" perioperative body warmer when I was in the hospital recently. Nurse had to keep fighting with the machine, and the fittings didn't seem to fit well.

Im amazed to this day that 3-M hasn't self destroyed itself by making cheap junk as sooooo many other companies have done.

Man, if its got the 3M name on it, you know its one of the best.

What is "Defender Spray Film"?

I surely haven't used each of their products but I did come across one huge blunder.

I found a "new in box" (blister pack) safety knife designed for cutting articles / coupons out of the paper or a magazine.
It's a smooth, featureless handle with a shielded, non-replaceable blade.
This tool could be blindly reached for in any purse or pocket with no chance of being cut.
The problem was that they decided to make the user push it through the paper rather than draw it toward the user rendering it all but unusable.

3M makes many fine good quality products but earplugs are not of good quality.The 3M earplugs allegedly resulted in hearing loss, tinnitus and loss of balance in those who used 3M's trademarked, dual-ended Combat Arms earplugs during their military service between 2003 and 2015. They had a military contract for thes eear plugs so most servicepeople used those plugs at one time or another. I remember being issued the 3m plugs but i always used the disposable foam plugs that i got from the supply section,3M has several lawsuits ongoing over this by the dept of justice.

my friend told me to get a 3M shipping packing tape holder. the one i got was pateded no. 5-641-377. is way better than the OTHER brand

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Their earplugs are getting them sued from some vets.

What is the allegation ?

Basically 3M with knowledge made and sold faulty earplugs to the DOD. The plugs were too short to be effective.

Probably every one who has been in the military has been issued some version of the 3M ear plugs. I always preferred the disposable yellow foam plugs that I could get from supply. In the motor pool they had big boxes of the yellow foam plugs hung up on the shop floors and the same thing at range fire. I dont recall wearing the 3m plugs much, maybe in boot camp,but that was way back in 1977 for me. seems like we wore orange rubber ear plugs not sure if they were 3m or not. Came in a little green case that clipped into our shirt pocket. I remember losing mine and the drills got angry and had me doing 100 push ups and 100 squat thrusts.We did not have the yellow foam plugs back in 1977 at ft Gordon Ga. In Iraq some some guys did prefer the rubber 3m plugs. I was issued them but never wore them I liked the disposable foam ones much better. Tried the rubber 3m and they did not really fit well or stop noise or they would stop all noise which is bad as well. I cannot say i know of anyone whose hearing was damaged as a direct result of wearing the 3 m earplus. Most vets I know have hearing problems whether they wore ear plugs or not. Kind of hard to not be around very loud noises while in military. I often get e mails about a class action law suit for 3m. no thank, probably get a check for $1.38 that wouldnt even buy a cup of decent coffee. But i think most 3m products are of good quality and most are made in America in the twin cities.

I was parts and production manager for six years at one of the largest body shops in central WI. We used a lot of different 3M products. Anytime that we tried something similar from a different brand, the 3M was always better quality, every time. You get what you pay for. Someone made a comment that it is surprising that they haven't cheapened their quality yet like so many other companies have. How true! I'm very thankful that they haven't. Like someone else said, if you are looking to buy something and 3M makes it, you know that you are going to get a quality product.

Originally Posted by wemay
Same here. Even their double sided tape is second to none.

This.

I work in medical manufacturing. We use 3M double sided tape in our processes, and I've...requisitioned.. quite a bit of it over the years to hang signs and such in the plant.

Try to get something attached with 3M tape off after 10 or 15 years.

It ain't happening.

Originally Posted by mr_boring
Originally Posted by wemay
Same here. Even their double sided tape is second to none.

This.

I work in medical manufacturing. We use 3M double sided tape in our processes, and I've...requisitioned.. quite a bit of it over the years to hang signs and such in the plant.

Try to get something attached with 3M tape off after 10 or 15 years.

It ain't happening.

I was just telling my wife the same thing. Excellent quality

I'm a 3M distributor and its hard to come across sub-par 3M products.

The ONLY item I've noticed a degrade in quality is their roloc conditioning discs. They're thinner and more flimsy compared to ones I had on the shelf from over a year ago.

Their tapes are above all, IPG can't even come close to 3M quality on the tapes and adhesives side of things and IPG is priced just the same as 3M!

Last edited:
I love 3M products, but was disappointed in their General Purpose 45 Spray Adhesive. I bought it to replace a headliner in my son's Olds. It failed miserably. On everything else I've used, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing rocks!

My father worked for 3M for 25 years. Custom order tape department in London, Ontario - the headquarters of 3M Canada. I grew up with all their products from video cassettes, audio cassettes, every adhesive tape imaginable, glues, diskettes, waxes & polishes, Scotchbrite pads, Post-it-notes, etc. I even worked there one summer as a student. The factory was spotless - you could eat off the floor. I remember at one time they made 35,000 different products. Just a fantastic company.
I too worked for 3M for over 21 years here in my hometown. Although we didn't make consumer products(we made medical imaging products), our products were held in high regard. Our facility closed in '97 due to a changing market(going digital). But, I still buy 3M products over many others. Is every product that 3M makes the absolute best in category? I don't think so. However, they are very good at most.

Some of the double sided body tapes I've bought weren't special (barely worked for the price)

They have an induction service in a box kit that's a rip-off considering they don't include the tool

I bought their rearview mirror attachment kit, didn't hold

So far, I've got a Permatex 5 minute epoxy that's holding pretty well

Their 3M and Scotch brand blank cassette tapes made in the 70's. I just couldn't get good recording results or longevity out of them compared to other brands.

Other than those, I've been very impressed with most of their products I have used.

Back