Dodge Grand Caravan trans service or not?

I don’t know if I’d buy one now or later, but if I were you I’d buy a cheap mighty vac. Something to suck the transmission fluid up through that dipstick tube.

I wouldn’t want to do a pan drop and filter replace every 40,000 miles. Transmission filters just don’t get that dirty...honestly some vehicles the filter is not even replaceable and I’ve personally driven one of those cars 300,000 without transmission trouble. I’ve never seen a tranny filter clogged or even really dirty (to be honest).

So I’d maybe drop that pan once, change that filter for piece of mind, clean that break in metal off those magnets for piece of mind...then seal it up good and simple do a fluid exchange yearly through that dipstick tube. Easy. Thing will probably be the cleanest Dodge Caravan transmission on the planet.

I did mine around 80k miles. Dropped the pan and measured what came out. Put that back in as new fluid. It was just over a gallon of ATF+4. I used the fancy dipstick mentioned above to measure the level right before I drained it, after sitting over night. I'll do it again at 100k miles. Since I had ordered 6 quarts of ATf+4, I used a turkey baster to empty out my power steering pump and added new oil until it looked fresh. I was able to do a couple basters full on PS pump on the Jeep as well with my leftovers.

Some folks have marked their engine oil dipstick and use it the way I used the purchased dipstick.

I have a new to me, 2019 Grand Caravan with 33k miles. It was an ex rental.

I called the dealership to inquire about a trans drain and fill. Advisor said it was a sealed unit, and they don't service them. The fluid is lifetime or 100k....

I know there is a dipstick port and that the transmission can be serviced.

Since then, I've acquired a new trans filter, trans pan with a drain plug, and gasket.

I am looking for ATF +4 fluid as I type this.

My thought is to do a drain and fill every 40k as it would be super easy not having to drop the fan. I'd also like to clean the magnet off of junk it's acquired over it's previous life as a rental unit. The Dodge dealer seemed to think I'm crazy and was uninterested.

Am I being unreasonable? $40 worth of fluid to do exchanges every 40k seems like peace of mind to me...
It was a rental....DO IT. CHANGE THE ATF.
Most people are not kind to rentals.

my T&C was a rental. I did a pump via dipstick tube at 50k miles and replaced in same (about 6qts). at 100k I had the dealer drop the pan and replace the filter. I will do another pump via dipstick tube exchange at 150k and then have the dealer drop the pan and replace the filter again at 200k.

My goal is to get to 250k with this van before moving on. This ATX has shifted wonderfully for me so I don't foresee any problems with it.

my T&C was a rental. I did a pump via dipstick tube at 50k miles and replaced in same (about 6qts). at 100k I had the dealer drop the pan and replace the filter. I will do another pump via dipstick tube exchange at 150k and then have the dealer drop the pan and replace the filter again at 200k.

My goal is to get to 250k with this van before moving on. This ATX has shifted wonderfully for me so I don't foresee any problems with it.

Get an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug, so you won't have to take it to the dealer to replace the filter :)

That van has a 62TE, which is a pretty solid transmission.

My Wife has a 2010 T&C, which the manual says "Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing" at 60K and 120K.

Get an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug, so you won't have to take it to the dealer to replace the filter :)
how does that impact replacing the filter You have to remove the pan to get to the filter either way.

I'll take it to the dealer for the filter replacement so they can add the correct amount of ATF. When I do a pump extraction it is super easy to measure how much fluid comes out and I dont need to get under the van.

how does that impact replacing the filter You have to remove the pan to get to the filter either way.

I'll take it to the dealer for the filter replacement so they can add the correct amount of ATF. When I do a pump extraction it is super easy to measure how much fluid comes out and I dont need to get under the van.

You don't actually have to replace the filter, and even if you want to replace it anyway, it's still easier to drop the pan after draining the fluid out first. Much less messy to use the drain plug first and then drop the pan after it's drained :)

Transmission service means new filter. There isn't an extractor out there that can change a filter in a pan. Buy a pan with a drain plug. Drain, clean and transfer magnet to new pan. Install new filter/pan and gasket to correct torque in the correct sequence. Purchase a graduated cm/in dipstick and laser thermometer. Add approximate needed oil, run to temperature required for measurement. Shift and hold in each gear a couple times. Read level and add until the dipstick and chart merge. Re-check over the next few days.

For a 2019 vehicle that is most likely now even 2 years old with 33K I'd say changing the fluid now will only make your wallet lighter. The modern Chrysler 6 speed auto's and synthetic ATF+4 is much more durable than the older FWD 4 speed's and ATF +3.

Did my 2016 at 49K with a dropped pan (replaced with the Doorman) and I freshen it up every other oil change. I changed the filter and cleaned the magnet @ 49K and I'll probably do it again at 100K because it really wasn't that difficult. The transmission has poor shift quality but it has been like that from the beginning. It is cheap transportation though and my wife doesn't even notice the shift quality.

Did my 2016 at 49K with a dropped pan (replaced with the Doorman) and I freshen it up every other oil change. I changed the filter and cleaned the magnet @ 49K and I'll probably do it again at 100K because it really wasn't that difficult. The transmission has poor shift quality but it has been like that from the beginning. It is cheap transportation though and my wife doesn't even notice the shift quality.

I'm sure you are aware but the shift quality with the "eco mode" on is terrible but for most the shift quality is excellent when eco mode is not enabled.

I'm sure you are aware but the shift quality with the "eco mode" on is terrible but for most the shift quality is excellent when eco mode is not enabled.
Yea.... that button is masked-over in our van. Must have been luck of the draw because ours shifts poorly. As long as it staying in one-piece I don't care.

Back