dodge dakota 4.7 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the day I have bought this truck used, it has had a rough idle and rich smelling exhaust. Finally tracked the problem down to the well known pcv valve location, which has a tendency to pull oil vapors our of the filler neck and allow them to flow straight into the air plenum, where the map sensor gets a nice coating of it. I have tried the home made catch can for the pcv line with little luck, I have tried cleaning everything several times, I have changed the pcv valve, even tried running engine restore to thicken up the oil thinking it might be blow by causing the vapor...but nothing has worked. As of right now, I have Rotella T-5 10w-30 with about one quart of marvel mystery oil in case I might have a stuck oil ring somewhere. I see they do have a pcv upgrade kit to relocate the lines, but not many people seem to have the same exact problem I have. While watching the engine idle, I noticed right away with the oil fill cap off the oil vapors were coming out slow but steady. I dont recall seeing this on many engines, unless they were old and bad off. I don't have any coolant in the oil, and the vapors never stop, so its not like its just burning off moisture from overnight. If I switch to a full synthetic, would the vaporing stop? I just want the engine to run like it should without oil migrating into the intake. When the map sensor is clean, the engine runs perfect...even did a power balance test and every cylinder is hitting the same. Just wondering if I am missing something cause of the oil I am using. Castrol has done it, valvoline and supertech have as well...so I need advice!!!!

Doubt it's PCV problem. My 4.7 in my Jeep has is smoooooth. Any codes? Check your plugs and coils, crank sensor too. I made a catch can out of an air compressor air/water separator. Works great, I also modified my stock PCV valve.

If you're worried about the MAP sensor getting coated and can't resolve the issue with upgraded parts, why not relocate the MAP? Do a remote mount.

If you want lower oil vaporization, stop adding MMO! It's a very light weight oil.

For your oil selection, try something with a low Noack rating. See PQI's charts in your unstated oil weight for the testing Noack values.

Since you live in Louisiana, you might consider ditching the Winter rating side of your oil choice. For example, instead of using 5w-30 you could go to a 10w-30 or even an SAE30W, which could also lower your Noack even more. (Verify on PQI's charts).

Also, what The_Eric said.

Here's to owning the [censored] 4.7! I have a Jeep GC with the 4.7, actually this is my 2nd Jeep 4.7 and I have learned to live with this thing running rough. The only positive thing that has helped so far is to take off the throttle body and completely clean it off with carb cleaner or seafoam. This usually does the trick but now I am tired of doing it. When it starts to idle rough I just pretend it has a lumpy cam!

The engine has about 160,000 miles and no codes. You guys with the 4.7 engine, what modifications have you done to make it stop? The home made catch can caught some oil but still did not solve the problem. According to dodge, the 4.7 has small oil passages and a heavy oil is not recommended...otherwise I would have tried the 15w-40. Trying to rule out any oil problem before changing parts.

Restore is utter garbage and will clog oil passages as well as oil filters in a very short time. The only oil additives I know work and cause no harm are liqui-moly products n
Let's hope you didn't clog any of the smaller oil passages using that garbage.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Restore is utter garbage and will clog oil passages as well as oil filters in a very short time. The only oil additives I know work and cause no harm are liqui-moly products n
Let's hope you didn't clog any of the smaller oil passages using that garbage.

I never thought of that. I used Restore on a Camaro when I was in high school and lost the engine 6 months later when I spun a main bearing. I don't recall any warning of losing oil pressure either. I wasn't an oil junky then but I never used anything but Mobil 1 5w30 in it. I can't remember why I bought the can of restore either. I don't recall that car using more than a quart of oil every 3k miles. I just remember thinking the engine loss was some weird fluke.

I used restore in my 89 t-bird when it had about 125k on it.

After another 75k I finally quit driving it.

When I pulled the heads at 165k to fix the head gaskets, you could see the crosshatching in the cylinder bores.

I think the worst thing restore will do is lighten your wallet.

Originally Posted By: meborder

When I pulled the heads at 165k to fix the head gaskets, you could see the crosshatching in the cylinder bores.

Why did you add it in the first place?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why did you add it in the first place?

Because it "guaranteed" that if the car had more than 75,000(?) miles that you'd "notice the difference, or your money back"

Shoulda pursued getting my money back, but I'm not really wired that way. I'm more of a fool me once kind of guy.

I'd say it did nothing. No good but no harm.

We did have a guy that used it every oil change in his crown Vic, but he had something like 300,000 miles on it and smoked like a chimney. He said it helped, but I always felt bad taking his money for it, even though he was a satisfied customer and thought it helped. (I think he used it on some kind of livery or taxi service)

Another former coworker was using it to try and help with his oil consumption on his sierra. There again, after using for a couple oci's he has since stopped buying it.

I just think the stuff doesn't do anything, but I've never seen any harm come from it.

Originally Posted By: meborder

That's what you get for thinking.

I too used that junk. The metals found in the can immediately clog the oil filter,so the filter runs open,hence no actual oil being filtered.
It coats parts,but hen that coating comes off in rather larger pieces,so the filter is clogged so those chunks clog oil passages and eventually turn to cake.
Having completely disassembled the engine I used restore in and seeing the results of its use I not only wouldn't use it again I try to inform those who are ignorant on its effects.
But you keep on thinking. I've seen,and it ain't pretty.

Originally Posted By: mech_tech
The engine has about 160,000 miles and no codes. You guys with the 4.7 engine, what modifications have you done to make it stop? The home made catch can caught some oil but still did not solve the problem. According to dodge, the 4.7 has small oil passages and a heavy oil is not recommended...otherwise I would have tried the 15w-40. Trying to rule out any oil problem before changing parts.

Run a mopar PCV, Clean the AIS motor by taking the TB off, might want to replace the AIS with a new mopar one if it has 160K.

There are two crankcase breathers, they have small openings in them, might want to replace those since they could be restricted.

My 02 runs perfectly smooth.

Any info on this home-made catch can?

The effectiveness of a catch can is directly linked to its design. There are plenty of cans out there that just allow oil vapors to run through a large open chamber before entering the intake, effectively doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back