Dodge caravan - blend door actuator

JC1

Blend door on the caravan would get stuck in the hot position on the passenger side. Once you want the AC running this is a pain. A temp fix is to tap the actuator motor with a big screwdriver or small hammer to get the gear to spin.

Ordered the part from Rockauto since the blower motor resistor was acting up. I dislike the way these HVAC systems are designed.

Today I decided to change the blend door actuator. Location was in the passenger footwell. removal of the two screws is a total pain in the neck, especially the top screw. The ratcheting screw driver along with being a contortionist would allow me to only go 2-3 rotations before the torx bit would come off the screw. Wanted to take my time and not bugger up the plastic holes since I'm sure this won't be the only time I'll have to do this repair.

Pics of the old on the left and new on the right. After I installed it, I went to start the van to get test the blower and actuator. I was getting no air coming out of the vents. Checked the fuse box etc and then realized I had to remove the wires for the blower motor resistor to get access with my hands.

Working like a champ now! Let's see how long this part lasts, they are a known weak point in these vehicles.

I opened up the old actuator and the gears are not missing any teeth. I'll keep the parts for the next time I need to repair it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_114848.jpg
    IMG_20210110_114848.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210110_114855.jpg
    IMG_20210110_114855.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20210110_161807.jpg
    IMG_20210110_161807.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210110_161801.jpg
    IMG_20210110_161801.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210110_162505.jpg
    IMG_20210110_162505.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 107
My 2009 Ford Flex has had 2 replacements of the hardest-to-access blend door actuator in the last 5 years. The parts are cheap, but what a PITA to replace. Naturally, the easy ones (there are 3 in total) never fail.

ugh my neck already hurts.

Another downside to start stop.. everytime it activates it changes the air from fresh to recirculate then back to fresh.. theoretically many times a day 50?+ for a commute with lots of lights and stopsigns.
(I usually keep my start/stop deactivated 90% of the time)

Reactions: JC1
ugh my neck already hurts.

Another downside to start stop.. everytime it activates it changes the air from fresh to recirculate.. theoretically many times a day 50?+ for a commute with lots of lights and stopsigns.
(I usually keep my start/stop deactivated 90% of the time)
I wouldn't want to be a big guy and try these repairs I'm average size 5'10".

I'm not overly big for an American 6'2" 190 and usually i grab some kind of cushion and lay half in and half out of the car.. total pita.. esp if your ribs are sore.. or you have a stiff neck from sleeping badly.. although if you have the right tools it makes this kind of job go from awful to annoying.

I'm not overly big for an American 6'2" 190 and usually i grab some kind of cushion and lay half in and half out of the car.. total pita.. esp if your ribs are sore.. or you have a stiff neck from sleeping badly.. although if you have the right tools it makes this kind of job go from awful to annoying.
I didn't need a cushion it was ok. Was a pain because I couldn't get two arms in the opening at a time and only get about two rotations of the screw with screwdriver at a time.

The actuators I’ve known to fail either quit due a a position sensor losing contact or the motor brushes wearing down. Sometimes the motor (maybe mabuchi?) can be sourced and the little worm gear moved over. I did that with a caravan to save some money years ago for door locks.

Im 6 foot and north of 300 pounds. HVAC and electrical repairs are 2 areas that I specialize in so I do a lot of dash work. You get used to it. Many of my friends in the business (most of whom are smaller than me) have seen me do dash work and are in awe of it because I usually beat them time wise. I've always been big and I have always done a lot of dash work.

Back