Documentation for warranty purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 spiral notebooks. One for my F150 and one for my wifes Escape. Anything done to either vehicle gets written down with the date, mileage, and part numbers. All receipts are put in an expanding file that I have. Not hard to do and better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

But have you ever had a failure of an item that required maintenance.

Yes..many times

Quote:

I have personally asked for maintenance records in a handful of instances either at the direction of a Technician, SM or DSM. In each case we had a pretty good idea the records could not be produced based on the condition of the engine. In one case the customer produced a notebook full or hand written records. The note book was pristine and new, there were no greasy fingerprints and it was all written in the same color pen (in fact it appeared to be the exact same pen). In another the car had something like 20,000 miles on it and had the factory installed filter on it. Those are two I remember.

So you assume that people that don't keep mega receipts take poor care of their car? Have you ever read the Magnuson–Moss Act? It doesn't require records. If the dealer asks for records..that's fine..but its not required. The question is can the dealer prove that lack of maintenance caused the defect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

But have you ever had a failure of an item that required maintenance.

Yes..many times

For example

Originally Posted By: Al

I have personally asked for maintenance records in a handful of instances either at the direction of a Technician, SM or DSM. In each case we had a pretty good idea the records could not be produced based on the condition of the engine. In one case the customer produced a notebook full or hand written records. The note book was pristine and new, there were no greasy fingerprints and it was all written in the same color pen (in fact it appeared to be the exact same pen). In another the car had something like 20,000 miles on it and had the factory installed filter on it. Those are two I remember.

So you assume that people that don't keep mega receipts take poor care of their car? Have you ever read the Magnuson–Moss Act? It doesn't require records. If the dealer asks for records..that's fine..but its not required. The question is can the dealer prove that lack of maintenance caused the defect.

I'm not sure how you managed to get that out of what I wrote. I don't assume anything about records until something calls them into question. When we asked for records, we knew they couldn't produce them because of the components condition. If you had read the entire post you would understand this.

And yes I've read the MM act and am familiar with both it and the terms of a new car warranty, neither one operates in a vaccum.

BTW in both cases above the new car warranty coverage was successfully denied on the neglected component.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back