Do you use a reminder sticker when you do your own oil change?

I've always kept a spreadsheet/clipboard in the garage. I once ran my previous Ram longer than I had wished (8k). Since then, I too started using the eBay clings.

I never realized it, but my shop keeps the old oil change sticker, when they remove it to put a new oil change sticker on. They take the old one (assumedly as "evidence" as to who did the last change and when) and staple it to their paper copy of the new oil change work order.

How I discovered this was I had the oil changed a few changes back, and the mechanic forgot to put a new sticker on the windshield. So I grabbed an O'Reilly's one (the shop uses stickers from Advance), made it up with the correct date and miles for the next change, and put it on the windshield. Problem solved.

The next time my truck was in the shop, I got the question "Who changed your oil last?", in a borderline rude way. I responded with "It got changed HERE.... where else would it get changed?" I then had the oil change sticker that *I* had made, shoved in my face, and was told "This isn't from here".

I then told them that was MINE, in MY handwriting, as I had gotten home from the last oil change and there was NO STICKER on my windshield. I then told them to check the date and miles on it, as they'd be correct from the last change.

That shut 'em up really quickly.

I write the mileage when I changed the oil on blue masking tape and tape it on the radiator support. I also monitor the transmission fluid and write down the mileage. My Honda is so easy to change the fluid and I do a drain and fill about every 15,000 miles or once a year.

I never realized it, but my shop keeps the old oil change sticker, when they remove it to put a new oil change sticker on. They take the old one (assumedly as "evidence" as to who did the last change and when) and staple it to their paper copy of the new oil change work order.

How I discovered this was I had the oil changed a few changes back, and the mechanic forgot to put a new sticker on the windshield. So I grabbed an O'Reilly's one (the shop uses stickers from Advance), made it up with the correct date and miles for the next change, and put it on the windshield. Problem solved.

The next time my truck was in the shop, I got the question "Who changed your oil last?", in a borderline rude way. I responded with "It got changed HERE.... where else would it get changed?" I then had the oil change sticker that *I* had made, shoved in my face, and was told "This isn't from here".

I then told them that was MINE, in MY handwriting, as I had gotten home from the last oil change and there was NO STICKER on my windshield. I then told them to check the date and miles on it, as they'd be correct from the last change.

That shut 'em up really quickly.
Do they pay you to change your oil? Rude? Seriously?

I use printed labels ( I print myself) and tape them to the valve cover or nearby plastic, everthing from oil changes to air filters, to coolant changes, transmission fluid etc. Lots of labels on my 2013 Elantra. When a tech opens my hood he should be able to see when items were done last.

I keep a maintenance log for the cars that I maintain that I can easily reference. I do however, still use oil change reminder stickers to keep the due date fresh on my mind.

What I’d like to do is find an app that tracks my Mileage where I can enter maintenance items and the app will tick off the mileage As I drive.

Right now I enter all my maintenance into my note app on my iPhone.

I do use an oil change sticker, but it usually half falls off or fades in a month.

What I’d like to do is find an app that tracks my Mileage where I can enter maintenance items and the app will tick off the mileage As I drive.

I do use an oil change sticker, but it usually half falls off or fades in a month.
You don't need an app if you're using Mycarfax. You put in the mileage when you do the work. You can set the change interval so it can send you an email when it's overdue. Then you don't have to worry about the app not working or losing the data as it's all online and tied to your vin.

You don't need an app if you're using Mycarfax. You put in the mileage when you do the work. You can set the change interval so it can send you an email when it's overdue. Then you don't have to worry about the app not working or losing the data as it's all online and tied to your vin.
I have that, but it doesn’t really know how much I drive, and can’t count down the mileage as I go.

So basically you asking for Google Fit Automotive Version. Tin foils will sue you for suggesting Google tracks you even more than they already do😁

So basically you asking for Google Fit Automotive Version. Tin foils will sue you for suggesting Google tracks you even more than they already do😁
Yeah basically. Lol.

My last car had a screen that had maintenance items on it...oil change, coolant, transmission, tires, oil, etc. You could click on each item and it would tell you how many miles you had before the next service. It was pretty cool. I’d do an oil change, reset it, and I could click on the oil icon and it would show me how many miles I had left till my next change, same with all the other categories/items. Thought that was really cool - would like to find an app or device where I could do that again.

I write everything in a notebook i keep in the glove box. I have one notebook for car maintenance and another one to keep records of my fuel consumption.

I have a file card hanging on the work bench for each vehicle, where I keep needed info. Oil change with type used, filter brand, cabin filter, last tire rotation, plugs etc. I update it as I make any changes. Cheap, easy and effective. I don't care for the little window stickers.

I don't use any stickers. I just put the information in the notes app (Google Keep) on my phone.

I also reset the OLM if the vehicle has it and the Trip B.

For my Mustang I also log the maintenance in the FordPass app.

Finally, most of the time I'll post here on the "Post your latest oil change" thread.

It's listed in enough places I don't feel the need for a sticker.

I don't use any stickers. I just put the information in the notes app (Google Keep) on my phone.

I also reset the OLM if the vehicle has it and the Trip B.

For my Mustang I also log the maintenance in the FordPass app.

Finally, most of the time I'll post here on the "Post your latest oil change" thread.

It's listed in enough places I don't feel the need for a sticker.
I also use Google keep. The 2004 odyssey trip A and B meters don't count more than 999 miles unfortunately. The 2 Nissans do however. Plus all lost if for some reason I disconnect the battery for any procedure.

I also use Google keep. The 2004 odyssey trip A and B meters don't count more than 999 miles unfortunately. The 2 Nissans do however. Plus all lost if for some reason I disconnect the battery for any procedure.
Yeah, I don't really *rely* on the trip B as you say there are circumstances that can reset it. Granted, I have recently replaced a battery in my Mustang and wife's Hyundai and I think both retained their trip information.

It's more just to be able to tap a couple times while driving and get a quick look at the current mileage on that OCI.

Related to this… long ago I recall service stations would put a small, clear plastic sleeve thing on the dash below or next to the steering wheel. When they’d perform a service, a small piece of card with the info was placed in it. And they’d just replace it with updated info after each service. I last saw one of these relics in my dad’s long gone 1976 Buick Century. It was for a local Standard station if I remember.

Oh, and what I do: write the mileage from the odometer, the date and oil weight in Sharpie on the filter end. It does last long enough to be useful and on many of the cars I work on, I can read it from above. Except the Charger. 😎

I still have half a book of these vintage stickers from the 1970's:

QS stickers.JPG

But mostly they've been replaced by Excel spreadsheet entries.

Back