Do you remember when...

I had an old 1989 Shadow ES Turbo/5spd that was fairly quick. Well' when it ran it was quick...lol
The issue with the old Myitchybushy cars was the same as most GM cars is their engine machine work was absolutely terrible. If you got one that was done right your good for yrs to come, but' if not they'd blow another head gasket every time you turn around and smoke like a train. Like on the GM Felpro also made an upgraded head gasket to compensate for Mopars poor machining but it just didn't matter, its going to blow again anyway. Oh and there that constant smoking from burning oil?
New head bolts, new gaskets, plain the head all you want its still happening again. Until you tore those engines down and resurface the block correctly it was going to continue blowing head gaskets but hey' maybe you can stop it smoking for awhile too? Win Win...lol This sent most of them to the junk yard early with low miles and killed sales volume.
After 3 head gaskets and 80k miles I simply gave mine to my brother to drive to/from work till he was tired of fooling with it and he traded it in later. Most were fixed and sold quickly a hundred times over, but my ES sure looked/ran great when it ran, that 5spd made it really fun to drive, I'd loved to have kept it but I just hate problem cars.
When my youngest boy reached driving age we saw over a dozen low mile Mopar/Myitchybushy's for sell and back then I had heard there were good ones out there that never had the head off once but we never saw one that hadn't after 60k or so. Later on I met an old Mopar mechanic who told me thats been his bread and butter for decades, without those poorly made engines he'd been out of work yrs before and said they just re-gasket them knowing they'd return often. Revolving door for repairs you know?
He made me realize Lido Iacocca and Myitchybushy built more bad cars than good and it really just depends how long the owner actually drove one if it was a good car or not, timing is everything?
Many Mopar owners from 80's up had auto trans fail early too, that was nearly unheard of before then. I owned many high mileage pre 80's "real Mopars", they were very reliable, in fact I still drove my original 1969 Dodge Super Bee as my daily until 2012 so I'm an old school Mopar man.

My nephew had a 90's Diamante that burned oil like mad but it sure looked nice, he sold it pretty fast.
In the very early 80's my friend bought a 1977 Colt wagon, the first Myitchybushy engine I ever saw in a Mopar, the very beginning of the end for sure. The engine smoked everywhere he went and a year or so later a rod went destroying the block before it even hit 70k mi. Needless to say he still curses them today.
Nobody I know had any luck with them, you always know when your behind one though so I always leave at least a car link between us at stop lights so they wont send my wife into an asthma attack and make my grill all black and sticky. Still way too many on the planet imho.

The bias is strong with this one.

My BIL had a '78 Plymouth Sapporo(Dodge Challanger) that was made by Mitsubishi and had a 2.6L HEMI w/5 Spd manual tranny. This little bugger scaaaaarrrrreeeeeewed in the day. He put on a ton of trouble free miles. My buddies during that time were buying up a bunch of Dodge Colts with 1.6L engines and some type of MCA-Jet...I don't quite remember what that was.
Did any of them have the Twin Stick ? We had one , it was the '81 ( or ' 82 ? ) CHAMP 2 door hatch that was purchased for less than $200 . Lowered the gear ratio , great for snow and hills . The engine had 120,000+ miles of hard stop and go driving . Had to remove from the road due to excessive rust to the unibody . 2nd favorite car to the '86 Chevy Nova ( Corolla , 1.6 Ltr. ) 4 door liftback with 3 speed auto . CHAMP almost the same as pictured , different wheel covers .

IMG_7489.JPG
IMG_7488.JPG
IMG_7490.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG

Last edited:
Mitsubishi actually built a whole line of cars, trucks & SUVs?
And they were quite reliable and respected.

What happened?
Well they just weren't as good as they used to be. Remember they also made the A6M Zero fighter and it was the best in the world when it was introduced. Shot down many US fighters til better models came out.
Zero.jpg

My older brother had a Dodge Colt ('78 IIRC) that he bought new. He drove it until '91 and put over 200K miles on it I think. It would have lasted longer if he'd checked the oil. He was on a trip to my aunt's house in OH for a family reunion and the oil level got low enough it blew the engine.

I've been thinking about getting a used Mitsubishi Mirage for my wife to use as daily driver to/from work (approximately 25 miles a day) when she gets her license. She wants something small and easy on gas so I thought the Mirage might fit the bill nicely. I've joined a Mirage forum to try to find out a little more about the Mirage and most owners there claim they're pretty reliable little cars with few break downs.

Did any of them have the Twin Stick ? We had one , it was the '81 ( or ' 82 ? ) CHAMP 2 door hatch that was purchased for less than $200 . Lowered the gear ratio , great for snow and hills . The engine had 120,000+ miles of hard stop and go driving . Had to remove from the road due to excessive rust to the unibody . 2nd favorite car to the '86 Chevy Nova ( Corolla , 1.6 Ltr. ) 4 door liftback with 3 speed auto . CHAMP almost the same as pictured , different wheel covers .

My HS buddy had an '84 Colt Turbo. On of the quickest little beasts around town. - especially when it was cold out, since it didnt have an intercooler. That had the twin stick with the low-high transfer case so you could split-shift the one tonne buzz bomb.

What happened were two simultaneous sales promotions, "Zero-Zero-Zero" and "Friends & Family", combined with Mitsubishi's having little to no credit standards. If you were breathing you could walk into a Mitsubishi dealer and leave with a new vehicle without putting any money down. After the fallout from these promotions, many of their dealers went under and it was all they could do to stay in business.
I remember on the news, that our local one and only Mitsubishi dealer's owner committed suicide with his wife.... RIP.

Mitsubishi and Chrysler / Dodge shared a lot of models so many popular Mitsubishi (Eclipse) were just Dodge rebadge and many Dodge (Stealth) were just Mitsubishi rebadge. Most of their quality issues were just not being as good as Toyota or Honda but still "ok" at their time.

However the HQ in Japan has been famous for being the dumping ground of incompetent VP from other Mitsubishi companies (most Mitsubishi companies are run independently from each other and probably list with different stock symbols). They are also probably focusing more on the trucks side of business instead of passenger cars, and in their passenger car business they are on the low price low end side vs the middle class cars like Toyota and Honda. Financial crisis plus this customer base means they probably tank with the customer.

Like landlording, it is never the best to go for the worst customer for the worst financing, it is usually a ticking timebomb.

Last edited:
Mitsubishi and Chrysler / Dodge shared a lot of models so many popular Mitsubishi (Eclipse) were just Dodge rebadge and many Dodge (Stealth) were just Mitsubishi rebadge. Most of their quality issues were just not being as good as Toyota or Honda but still "ok" at their time.

This is just my observation and opinion but the stuff that came out of Normal Illinois could not match up with what came out of Japan. Their Japan assembled vehicles were far superior.

This is just my observation and opinion but the stuff that came out of Normal Illinois could not match up with what came out of Japan. Their Japan assembled vehicles were far superior.
Yes. The products that were manufactured in Japan were actually quite good.

Like landlording, it is never the best to go for the worst customer for the worst financing, it is usually a ticking timebomb.
Mitsubishi USA never lined up first-rate dealers, either, it seemed. Like they got Bubba Joe's used car lot that added the Mitsubishi name to pretend to be legitimate. Suzuki was just as bad or worse and look how that worked out.

No' you just never see all the smoke behind yours when your driving it like everyone else does.

They never smoked nor went through any oil. The only issue I had with the 3.0 V6 was the oil weeping through small block plugs at around 130,000 miles. That was cosmetic and a quick fix by the dealer. I got to 160,000 before I sold it. The other Mitsu was a 1.8 four banger that had close to 400,000 miles on it when the transmission finally went.

Both were Japan made.

Anyone remember that MCI "Jet" engine they had with a third valve? It lasted 15 minutes.
That stratified charge design Its legit. and actually used now with some DI implementations
Honda had CVCC.
Utilised an ignitable rich a/f zone near the plug to initiate the burn on an otherwise lean charge.
Wife's Dodge Colt got well over 40 mpg. Engine ran great for over 200K miles and still ran great when sold used,
Ran well with cheap autolite #63 plugs.

Now the 1990 honda civic she got next was absolute garbage.

Back