Do you remember when...

Mitsubishi actually built a whole line of cars, trucks & SUVs?
And they were quite reliable and respected.

*I remember when Mitsubishi built little subcompact hatchbacks/sedans(Mirage/Colt)
*Compact sedans(Lancer), midsize family sedans(Galant)
*And the somewhat larger sedans(Diamanté)
*Sports cars(EVO, Eclipse, Starion)
*High powered cars(3000 GT/Stealth)
*Small pickup trucks(MityMax, Raider)
*And at least 3 SUVs(Montaro, Endeavor, Outlander)
*And they build their own engines.
*Plus some vehicles for Chrysler Corporation where Mitsubishi was putting Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth names on Mitsubishi vehicles. And I'm sure there is much more I didn't even mention or am not aware of.

What happened?

Last edited:
think they had to downsize to survive overseas.
still see a handful, both Mitsu & Suzukis, new stuff driven by retirees, they're getting them from some where but I do not know EXACTLY where.
Remains a mystery. Did fix a Galant 4G63 decade+ ago. Bad ECM. Even found an ECM in the local Pik n'Pull, $12.50 & it ran. The good ole' days.

My first new car was a 1973 Dodge Colt GT that was made by Mitsu. and sold by Dodge. It was a great car for what it was,,,and it had a HEMI....1600 cc.

Mitsubishi just opened a dealership on Rt. 17 Southbound in Ramsey, NJ. in an old building which "always" housed "foreign car repair" or used car businesses.
Once the location was a Citroen dealership.
I want to go look at the 2022's.

My BIL had a '78 Plymouth Sapporo(Dodge Challanger) that was made by Mitsubishi and had a 2.6L HEMI w/5 Spd manual tranny. This little bugger scaaaaarrrrreeeeeewed in the day. He put on a ton of trouble free miles. My buddies during that time were buying up a bunch of Dodge Colts with 1.6L engines and some type of MCA-Jet...I don't quite remember what that was.

My first new car was a 1973 Dodge Colt GT that was made by Mitsu. and sold by Dodge. It was a great car for what it was,,,and it had a HEMI....1600 cc.
My friend had a '74 Colt - very good car for the day - compared well to my '71 Corolla and another friend's 510 - and light-years better than another friend's Envoy Epic.

My friend had a '74 Colt - very good car for the day - compared well to my '71 Corolla and another friend's 510 - and light-years better than another friend's Envoy Epic.
It was a great car... Good on gas...Chrysler did sell some performance parts for it. They were called C2 performance parts. I installed the dual points dist. and the 40mm twin side draft Solex carbs on it...and the C2 cam shaft... It ran great and was somewhat peppy for what it was..

What happened was that around the year 2000 Mitsubishi came up with a bold financing scheme. Zero down and no payments for 24 months. This coincided with the tech crash in the stock market and the resulting recession. A lot of buyers took advantage of that plan and basically ran the vehicles for two years and gave them back to Mitsubishi.

I actually purchased my 2000 Montero Sport using that plan but I was the oddity. I made the payments during the first two years, even accelerated them. The vehicle was paid off in three years.

Mitsubishi Motors America never recovered from that fiasco.

I worked at Chrysler HQ during its joint venture with Mitsubishi and recall the high quality of the vehicles produced during that time. Colts, Lasers, Stealths, etc., we’re all top notch products and fun to drive. The Normal, IL plant was part of the DiamondStar collaboration and is now a Rivian plant.
Lots of corporate/political drama, particularly during the Daimler days, led to the downfall of the partnership.

Mitsubishi cars always seemed ahead of their time. The 3000GT is still a timeless masterpiece of automotive beauty!!

Mitsubishi cars always seemed ahead of their time. The 3000GT is still a timeless masterpiece of automotive beauty!!
Yes, but it's not a very good driver - drove like an enlarged eclipse FWD , with resultant poor torsional rigidity.
Yes I owned a Stealth TTv6 stick or a bit. Early adopter of dual mode exhaust. The interior was gorgeous for sure, though.
If you dropped a small marble under the hood it would likely never make it to the ground it was so tight in there.
Your 300ZX is a worlds better driver, one of the best.

1994 Mitsubishi 3000 GT (a.k.a: Dodge Stealth) interior:
1994_Mitsubishi3000GT int.jpg

Cars and SUVs are only a small part of their portfolio. I've ready they've diversified in other areas and aren't too concerned about their ever decreasing personal vehicle market. No reason why they couldn't stand with Honda and Toyota, but they've chosen not to.

I had a 1988 MityMax pickup that I bought because of the need for a small pickup truck that was cheap. It was so underpowered that it couldn't get out of it's own way even when empty and trying to accelerate on an uphill freeway onramp while the bed was loaded was an exercise in terror. The brakes were horrible with an unloaded bed, the rear tires would lockup without much pedal pressure. The paint on the floor of the bed was thin and wore away almost immediately.
I sold it after 2 years with about 12,000 miles on it and was glad to get rid of it.

Before I married my wife she had an Eclipse. Great, fun to drive manual car until it had engine issues. It was the timing belt. Thank goodness it was under warranty as we had no money at that age. The only annoying thing about the car is it didn't have cruise control which would have been much appreciated on long trips.

What happened were two simultaneous sales promotions, "Zero-Zero-Zero" and "Friends & Family", combined with Mitsubishi's having little to no credit standards. If you were breathing you could walk into a Mitsubishi dealer and leave with a new vehicle without putting any money down. After the fallout from these promotions, many of their dealers went under and it was all they could do to stay in business.

I had an old 1989 Shadow ES Turbo/5spd that was fairly quick. Well' when it ran it was quick...lol
The issue with the old Myitchybushy cars was the same as most GM cars is their engine machine work was absolutely terrible. If you got one that was done right your good for yrs to come, but' if not they'd blow another head gasket every time you turn around and smoke like a train. Like on the GM Felpro also made an upgraded head gasket to compensate for Mopars poor machining but it just didn't matter, its going to blow again anyway. Oh and there that constant smoking from burning oil?
New head bolts, new gaskets, plain the head all you want its still happening again. Until you tore those engines down and resurface the block correctly it was going to continue blowing head gaskets but hey' maybe you can stop it smoking for awhile too? Win Win...lol This sent most of them to the junk yard early with low miles and killed sales volume.
After 3 head gaskets and 80k miles I simply gave mine to my brother to drive to/from work till he was tired of fooling with it and he traded it in later. Most were fixed and sold quickly a hundred times over, but my ES sure looked/ran great when it ran, that 5spd made it really fun to drive, I'd loved to have kept it but I just hate problem cars.
When my youngest boy reached driving age we saw over a dozen low mile Mopar/Myitchybushy's for sell and back then I had heard there were good ones out there that never had the head off once but we never saw one that hadn't after 60k or so. Later on I met an old Mopar mechanic who told me thats been his bread and butter for decades, without those poorly made engines he'd been out of work yrs before and said they just re-gasket them knowing they'd return often. Revolving door for repairs you know?
He made me realize Lido Iacocca and Myitchybushy built more bad cars than good and it really just depends how long the owner actually drove one if it was a good car or not, timing is everything?
Many Mopar owners from 80's up had auto trans fail early too, that was nearly unheard of before then. I owned many high mileage pre 80's "real Mopars", they were very reliable, in fact I still drove my original 1969 Dodge Super Bee as my daily until 2012 so I'm an old school Mopar man.

My nephew had a 90's Diamante that burned oil like mad but it sure looked nice, he sold it pretty fast.
In the very early 80's my friend bought a 1977 Colt wagon, the first Myitchybushy engine I ever saw in a Mopar, the very beginning of the end for sure. The engine smoked everywhere he went and a year or so later a rod went destroying the block before it even hit 70k mi. Needless to say he still curses them today.
Nobody I know had any luck with them, you always know when your behind one though so I always leave at least a car link between us at stop lights so they wont send my wife into an asthma attack and make my grill all black and sticky. Still way too many on the planet imho.

Back