Do You Keep a Spare Oil Filter Housing on Hand for Cartridge Filters?

In another discussion here on BITOG, @JeffKeryk mentioned that he is recently fighting with a stuck filter cap on a car. This reminded me of a question that I have pondered for a while, and decided to ask here, to see what fellow BITOG members do. Who here keeps a spare oil filter housing on hand for their cars that have cartridge type filters?

I've read many threads here, where others have shared experiences of damaging an oil filter housing while trying to remove them. If this were to happen while doing an oil change on my E350, none of the local parts stores are going to have a replacement on the shelf. The nearest MB dealership is close to an hour drive, and I could have to wait until they are open. Or I would be ordering a filter housing from FCP, and paying extra shipping for overnight or two day delivery, which would probably more than double the price .

This has led me to wonder if it would be prudent to buy a spare filter housing, so if I ever do break one during a filter change, I could replace it then and there, and not have to leave my car incapacitated for a few days, while getting a replacement. So what do you do? Is it worth having a spare? Or is the occurrence of broken filter housings rare enough that it is worth taking the risk, and just deal with it if it ever happens?

Count me in. I ordered another from Toyota online. Safety first. The excellent shop where I took the Corolla for help buys several cast aluminum Toyota housings at a time and keeps them in inventory just like their spin on oil filters.

Great thought. I have 2 vehicles that use the Hengst style cartridge filter (same engine in both vehicles). Although I have never had a problem getting the canister housing opened, I can see the point of keeping a spare on the shelf.

This has led me to wonder if it would be prudent to buy a spare filter housing, so if I ever do break one during a filter change, I could replace it then and there, and not have to leave my car incapacitated for a few days, while getting a replacement.
1) Why would you tighten it so tight in the first place that it could ever break during a filter change? If that is the case, would you also keep a spare drain plug if you round off it's corners?

2) Most people have a second car with which to get to a parts store.

I did... back when I had my Tundra, all the cool kids were buying the metal cap off a different Toyota engine and swapping in. I thought about it, decided it was worth having on the shelf. Never got around to using it, now the Tundra is gone, but the box is still on the shelf, reminding me of my foolishness.

None of my current fleet uses one. Not sure I would buy a spare, the one on my VW lasted 11 years and 30 oil changes? with no issue.

My Dad has a M-B E350 and my MIL has a Buick Encore, I haven't had an issue yet with either housing cap. They don't need to be torqued down super hard, just enough to get a solid stop. I would suspect that a stuck cap would also be the result of not having oiled up the o-ring.

I can also get either a replacement cap next day through O'Reilly. Try searching "oil filter cap"

I have the cartridge in my Camry. It seems ok so far after 12 or so removals. There is a replacement canister in my Amazon saved cart just in case I need to get one quickly but I haven't seen the need to pull the trigger on it. I might delay changing the oil if there is something coming up that I need my car but I could go a few days without a car if I had to.

No, but I did purchase the aluminum versions for the Tundra and RX 350. I have not had any issues with the aluminum being difficult to remove.

So what do you do?
I do not. I do my own oil changes so I am confident, in the case of the Tacoma - an at risk vehicle for a damaged housing due to over tightening, that I will not have any issues. The Impala's canister is 56 years old but there isn't very much that can go wrong with it, I inspect it every time and since I was the guy to last tighten the canister on and I don't leave old o-rings in place, again, I have confidence it will be ok each time. However, if something happens, I can live with the downtime so, for me, there is little risk. YMMV.

Depends on the jeep 3.2L no. I did mark the housing with a marker so I wouldnt overtighten.

On the chevy equinox with the 2.4L
yes. they cost an additional 2-3$ when buying the filter.

I don’t because, I change the oil in both of my vehicles. Here’s a little tip for those with cartridge filters. Take a paint pen or typewriter correction fluid and put corresponding marks on the filter cap and mounting base. Oil the O-Rings on the cap, before installing. Simple things to do that will save the headaches.

1) Why would you tighten it so tight in the first place that it could ever break during a filter change? If that is the case, would you also keep a spare drain plug if you round off it's corners?

2) Most people have a second car with which to get to a parts store.
You are assuming the last service was done properly. This has not been the case twice on 2 Corollas I have serviced.

I think O'Reilly wants $40+ for an off brand composite cap and Toyota wants $80 for their composite cap.
I paid under $20 for an aluminum cap and filter from Toyota online.

IMO, the composite housings are a bad design because they are error prone.

In another discussion here on BITOG, @JeffKeryk mentioned that he is recently fighting with a stuck filter cap on a car. This reminded me of a question that I have pondered for a while, and decided to ask here, to see what fellow BITOG members do. Who here keeps a spare oil filter housing on hand for their cars that have cartridge type filters?

I've read many threads here, where others have shared experiences of damaging an oil filter housing while trying to remove them. If this were to happen while doing an oil change on my E350, none of the local parts stores are going to have a replacement on the shelf. The nearest MB dealership is close to an hour drive, and I could have to wait until they are open. Or I would be ordering a filter housing from FCP, and paying extra shipping for overnight or two day delivery, which would probably more than double the price .

This has led me to wonder if it would be prudent to buy a spare filter housing, so if I ever do break one during a filter change, I could replace it then and there, and not have to leave my car incapacitated for a few days, while getting a replacement. So what do you do? Is it worth having a spare? Or is the occurrence of broken filter housings rare enough that it is worth taking the risk, and just deal with it if it ever happens?
Not an issue on Euro cars.
Leaky gasket, yeah, but OFH itself? No.

I keep a AC Delco PF458g (PF457g with a cap) for when the local quick lube breaks one on an Ecotec. I also keep the cap for a Ford/Mazda 2.3 for the same reason, have had several come in from a quick lube missing the center tube. Finally I keep the caps for Toyota YZZA4 and YZZA6 filters because we have had a few come in missing center tubes or that have cracked when we broke them loose with a half inch breaker bar after the quick lube overtightened them.

Back