Do you flush your power steering system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change all the fluids on any vehicle I buy. Tend not to touch the PS fluid after that though.

Anyone here have a supercharged engine? I have an 02 xterra with an eaton m62 on it. I changed the supercharger oil, which smells rancid by the way. Couldn't get it through Nissan (they say it is good for the life of the truck, sure), had to buy it at GM.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I've found that the turkey baster method about every 50,000 miles keeps the system in good working order. Any hydraulic fluid can get dirty and/or collect moisture and impurities; the system was designed to work with fresh fluid....

if the system was designed for "fresh fluids".....why is there no drain plug to do a drain and fill? Leave the power steering fluid alone, your wasting your time.

Years ago, ZF put replaceable filters in their steering systems and it was part of a periodic service on a older Mercedes or BMW to suck out the old fluid, change the filter in the pump or reservoir and pour in fresh ATF or Pentosin.

Bus and truck hydraulic steering systems also have drain plugs on their fluid tanks.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

if the system was designed for "fresh fluids".....why is there no drain plug to do a drain and fill? Leave the power steering fluid alone, your wasting your time.

You mean like transmissions and rear diffs that are supposedly "lifetime" as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back