Do we really want to use "SM" rated Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
i look forward to sm and the changes it brings.

Which changes are you looking forward to?

i believe what he meant to say was:

"We're just about to get our first pictures from inside the spacecraft with "oil-nut" Homer Simpson, and we'd like to -- aah!"

[Camera shows a close-up of an SM oil floating in front of the three astronauts]

"Ladies and gentlemen, er, we've just lost the picture, but, uh, what we've seen speaks for itself. The Corvair spacecraft has been taken over -- "conquered", if you will -- by a master race of SM oils. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive earth men or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain, there is no stopping them; the SM oils will soon be here.

And I, for one, welcome our new SM oil overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground oil wells."

I was in a gas station the other day that had a (top) shelf full of Chevron Synthetic 15w-50 SJ oil. If I had a car that could use it, I'd have bought it!

JJ

quote:

Originally posted by jaj:
I was in a gas station the other day that had a (top) shelf full of Chevron Synthetic 15w-50 SJ oil. If I had a car that could use it, I'd have bought it! JJ

Is the SJ much better than SL for ZDDP? Thinking it might be better, I bought some Valvoline Durablend 15w40 SJ that I will be running this summer.

I saw Redline in SJ (red label) yesterday along with some SL Redline (blue label). The SJ bottles were dusty.

So, what I'm reading is, the SL oils will be obsolete once the SM has come into the full market place?

Amazing all the tizzy over an oil specification that hasn't even been finalized yet.

I seem to recall that plenty of folks theroized that the move to SL was a step in the wrong direction before it happened, yet most would agree that the SL designation has proven to be an improvement over the previous designations.

quote:

Originally posted by MRC01:

If "SM" exempts 40 & 50 weight oils from the P limits, that's good news for owners of competition cars and motorcycles...

SL 40wts and up were exempt from the phos cap too but the makers generally put the same additive pack in those oils as the lower vi 30wts PCMO .

These newer high mile formulas have a nice amount of anti-wear in them . Well most of them do . A couple out there are just downright losers though IMO
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back