Do transmission shifts "firm up" with use?

I am noticing softer, slower shifts from the Aisin 8 speed in our 2020 Jetta as compared to our previous 8 speed Jetta that we traded with 3800 miles. The shifts on our previous one were quite crisp and quick, nearly DSG territory. So far at 150 miles the shifts are noticeably slower. We are not experiencing any issues from the transmission, just noticing the different in shift speed.

Is this typical behavior from a new automatic?

I am noticing softer, slower shifts from the Aisin 8 speed in our 2020 Jetta as compared to our previous 8 speed Jetta that we traded with 3800 miles. The shifts on our previous one were quite crisp and quick, nearly DSG territory. So far at 150 miles the shifts are noticeably slower. We are not experiencing any issues from the transmission, just noticing the different in shift speed.

This is typical for a transmission that is adapted to your driving style. I may be wrong, but I think that Mercedes was one of the first ones to do this with their 722.6 5 speed auto back in the late 90s.
Continue to drive without any worry. Once the car gets broken in, step on the gas every once in a while. That should program it to quicken and firm up shifts when you need it, but soft and slower when you are driving normally.

This is typical for a transmission that is adapted to your driving style. I may be wrong, but I think that Mercedes was one of the first ones to do this with their 722.6 5 speed auto back in the late 90s.
Continue to drive without any worry. Once the car gets broken in, step on the gas every once in a while. That should program it to quicken and firm up shifts when you need it, but soft and slower when you are driving normally.
I’m not worried. It shifts just as smooth as the last one, just slower. After the break in period we won’t be as gingerly with it. Maybe that will help.
The last one was purchased new, but with 197 miles. Maybe someone had a lead foot during that time.

I'd guess that your previous car had adapted to your driving style in the time you had it, and this one hasn't had a chance to do so yet, plus the miles between the factory and your purchase may've been hard ones. Shifting should adapt over the next little while.
It's one thing that can also tend to happen when changing batteries, etc on the same car.

I can’t speak on behalf of a DSG but.... my Ram was a bit mushy when I first got it as I drove way nicer than I normally do during the break in period. As soon as I started driving normally, it’s perfect.

I think Chrysler was one of the 1st that I know of, with the A604 Ultradrive transmission being the 1st, or one of the 1st with learning driving and adjusting clutch volume index to accommodate for wear of clutch/plates, etc. I believe this was 1990.

Soemtimes the self learning algorithms srew up, in that case you can have a tech reset the adaptive parameters and have another try. Takes a few seconds to do after diagnostics is hooked up. Can be beneficial aswell if you get a used car

Go to the VW website and put in your VIN. There may be a service bulletin or recall on it. Our 2019 had a TCM/ECM recall on it. After we had the recall done, the performance was much better. Don’t worry too much.

Chrysler did that in the early 90s with the ultradrivea aka 41te. It wasn't continuous learning but learned in the first 30 stop and goes and was set from there. Later ones where continuous

I noticed on my 05 Silverado when I occasionally drive it hard (wide open throttle through 3 gears) it will shift better (firmer) for a few days then goes mushy again. I assume that's the adaptive strategy.

Soemtimes the self learning algorithms srew up, in that case you can have a tech reset the adaptive parameters and have another try. Takes a few seconds to do after diagnostics is hooked up. Can be beneficial aswell if you get a used car
This 100%. I’ve seen this happen on several GM transmissions throughout the years. The algorithms tend to get corrupted by drivers who drive too conservatively.

OP- I’m sure it will firm up with more usage.

Have any of you seen proof of these transmission algorithms in the pcm's programming? Not trying to call anyone out, but I've never seen it.

I've seen what happens when you reset the adaptive valuesa and take it for a spin. from driving like $hit to a new car. yes, too conservative driving is the worst for them.

Nobody is going to give the source code for the programming to us.

My 6L80e is at 43K and could not ask for better shifts …
Sadly the vehicle was just rear ended and really hope it can be saved …

Back