Do these look like 60K Mile Brake Pads?

I decided last week to tackle the front brakes on my wife's 2018 Jeep Compass since she didn't THINK she'd ever had them done, I had the time to do them, and figured it wouldn't hurt to get to them when I had the time rather than as a "I need to do these right away" repair. I planned out the day to get them off, cleaned up, run the disks up to O'Reilly's to turn(I'd rather have turned factory rotors than cheap aftermarket), and get it all together.

I pulled the driver's side apart and found this-pad pulled on the right, new pad on the left

IMG_2568.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

I know these are obviously worn some vs. the new pad, but there's a lot of meat on the pads I took off to my eye. Also, there seems to be a "step" at the hub, which makes me think the rotors have been turned at least once.

She bought it new, and it has 60K miles on it. She does a lot of highway driving(her commute is ~50 miles a day total) but I'd find it hard to believe that between a lot of running around town and even rush hour traffic jams that there's no way a 60K mile pad has this little wear.

The only thing I can potentially think is she had two tires put on last year(that was before we were married, and before she completely turned over her car maintenance to me :) ...especially since I never replace 2 tires ) and I'm wondering if they were done then. She has the receipt around somewhere for that, but I'm guessing it
may take a bit to find.

What do you all think? BTW, I put it back together with the old pads.

I can't quite make out the numbers on the side of the used pad... maybe do a search and see if you can chase down the parts? I agree that those seem to have less wear than one would expect for that amount of miles.

They may or may not have. My mom had a 2012 Jeep Patriot and it had the original pads on it when I sold it at 70k miles, still had quite a bit left. And those were definitely not easy miles.

I had an 04' VW TDI with 175k miles when I sold it with the original front brakes, still had over 1/2 the pad left easily. But it had more highway miles and that DSG transmission downshifted like crazy.

They may or may not have. My mom had a 2012 Jeep Patriot and it had the original pads on it when I sold it at 70k miles, still had quite a bit left. And those were definitely not easy miles.

I had an 04' VW TDI with 175k miles when I sold it with the original front brakes, still had over 1/2 the pad left easily. But it had more highway miles and that DSG transmission downshifted like crazy.

2004 TDIs didn’t have a DSG,

Could be original. A coworker of mine just sold his 2000 Chevy PU at 200k miles. He bought it new and it still had the factory brakes on it.

Don't know how much pad was left, but my dad had a company vehicle he put just over 100k on in 2 years, and the factory brakes were still good and the factory tires still had tread on them.

Could be original it is possible. Usually brake pads last on our cars around 30,000 or so. I know our 2017 Camry still has the original pads with 25,000 on them so I’m waiting to see how long they go. Maybe she had the rotors turned and not the pads replaced or something I don’t know.

I've driven a Dodge Dakota for 90,000, and a Stratus for 95k miles, and sold them knowing pads weren't scoring the rotor.

Your pad would be usable if you could still read the bottom of the 85000#, but if new pads are already laying there, just put em on.

Don't get me wrong, I drive hard if needed to get in position, but I see nothing to gain buy stopping hard. I try to pulse and glide in town, and barely wear pads.

They could be the original brake pads.

it all depends on the pad quality and mainly driving habits. Looks like your wife is easy on cars you know race to the next stop sign and slam on the brakes ... and also she doesn't ride the brakes.
you need to give her a gold star or new diamond earrings! lol

Last edited:
They could be the original brake pads.

it all depends on the pad quality and mainly driving habits. Looks like your wife is easy on cars you know race to the next stop sign and slam on the brakes ... and also she doesn't ride the brakes.
you need to give her a gold star or new diamond earrings! lol
my thoughts also

I put new front rotors (warped) on my wife's Acura RDX at 70,000 miles and was amazed at how much pad was left because on her prior cars she's usually gone through at least one set of pads by that mileage. So yes, those could be the original pads.

There is no way to tell with brakes.. It all depends on pad quality, driver habits and driving conditions. Brakes with 20k on them can look worse than ones with 60k on them when the driver has bad habits.

Long commute doesn't use much for brakes. I had a long commute before COVID (110mile round trip) and I will get around 100k on my Focus. My 2012 F-150 had original brakes that lasted about 90k.

Why did you disassemble the brakes to begin with?

A cursory glance would have told you the pads were fine.

Gravel caught between the rotor and the backing plate making an awful grinding sound.

The dealership fixed it for her twice under warranty, and told her it was a known problem.

I'd bought new pads ahead of time figuring they were needed and I can't get a good visual on them with the wheels on.

In my area the lack of rust on the pad backing would be a dead giveaway that they have been replaced.

As already pointed out the thickness remaining is certainly possible to still be stock pads but probably unlikely.

I can get miles like that but they'll be more rusty. The pads look like that on the wife's car at 100k, backing plates look worse--but the shim rusted in half on one of the pads.

Back