Do injector cleaner additives influence the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am considering to buy injector additives from Liqui Moly:

1. Liqui Moly INJECTOR-REINIGER (injector cleaning)
2. Liqui Moly BENZIN-SYSTEM-PFLEGE (prophylactics of injector system)

And I am wondering, do these additives influence in any way the engine oil? Of course, in product description there is nothing about that, but I was just wondering if there is any negative influence?

If so, would it make to change the oil right after the use of these additives?

many of the product descriptions will say it will also do things like clean the PCV valve. The only way it can do this is if some of the additive is not consumed and makes it's way into the oil.

Potentially there is no negative influence to the oil.

But if you have the choice and everything else is equal; many people do follow the routine to put in fuel additives the 1-2 tanks before their planned oil change.

They will not waste good oil and change it early though just because they want to use fuel additives. Only if there is a big problem they need to solve, and they need to use seafoam or other product that definitely will modify the oil, do they change oil early because of an additive.

Last edited:
I used to use Techron every 4000 miles, using my oil change as a reminder, so at the time of the oil change. No effects on the UOA, and two of the trucks now have 300,000 miles on them and no oil consumption.

I never checked to see any effect on PCV's. If it does anything it would be in the aromatic vapor stage from direct combustion gases.

(I said used to, as I now sell/use a product formulated from their concentrate base)

The labels of many injector cleaners recommned that they be used in the last tank of fuel before an oil change.
The only sesible explanation for this that I've seen was in a post here.
The member suggested that an effective cleaner would also clean off carbon from the piston tops and the combustion chamber. Most of these particles would find their way out the exhaust valve, but at least some fraction of these hard carbon particles would find their way past the rings and into the oil and some of them would be too small for the filter to remove.
This made sense to me, so that's how I use fuel system cleaners.

I would just use the LM Pro Line Benzin System Reiniger, it has a lot more PEA.
It is a werkstatt product that is very effective. Just use it and forget it, no need to change the oil.
Use every 10K Km.

Just wondering.... What do those products cost en Suisse, 30 francs or more?

Originally Posted By: widman
(I said used to, as I now sell/use a product formulated from their concentrate base)

Widman. Any chance of you selling it in NA?

ET16,

Originally Posted By: ET16
Just wondering.... What do those products cost en Suisse, 30 francs or more?

If ordered from german supplier:

11 CHF Liqui Moly INJECTOR-REINIGER
9 CHF Liqui Moly BENZIN-SYSTEM-PFLEGE

If ordered from local supplier:

15 CHF Liqui Moly INJECTOR-REINIGER
21 CHF Liqui Moly BENZIN-SYSTEM-PFLEGE

Thanks for all your comments.

I will try to order the injector cleaners from local supplier ASAP and put them in the tank before oil change (mid october).

Initially I wanted to order them from german supplier with oil and use on a freshly changed oil car, but I got some hesitations and now these are cleared.

One stupid question guys
smile.gif

How much should I use it? The bottle is 200 ml and it does not say what is maximum concentration of the cleaner. I.e., my car's tank is around 40 liters and I don't know if I should pour the whole bottle or only part of it.

The technical data sheet also does not mention this: spec

P.S. I decided to go for STP instead of Liqui Moly since I can get it faster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: widman

Widman. Any chance of you selling it in NA?

I'm afraid that FedEx would make it pretty expensive. But I have 6 times the active ingredients of STP's concentrated product. I recommend, based on Oronite's instructions to me for formulation, not to use mine in less than 30 liters. I was at the Mercedes dealer today and they are now giving every new car purchaser a case of my cleaner with a recommendation to continue buying it after the case runs out.

The one I remember with a recommendation against overuse was Chevron Techron Concentrate. The supposed reason was that overuse would deplete/interfere with the additives in the motor oil. That was the primary reason they recommended using it on a full tank before an oil change. I'd think the idea is that it's a minimal period where these additives are depleted as a result of the cleaner, and then they're replenished such that there's only a short time where it's in this state.

Of course stuff gets past the rings. It's not as if rings are 99.999999% effective at keeping combustion byproducts from getting into the oil.

BTW - the current Techron Concentrate Plus doesn't come with any such recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back