Do I really need iridium spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If it's the your Accord V6 in your sig, then iridium is a MUST! Because you know that the transverse V6 is IMPOSSIBLE to work on since you have take apart half the engine to access the rear plugs, and you do NOT want to do it again!

Get the Denso iridium from AAP with a 30% off promo code which makes them $10.49 each. And if your local AAP doesn't have them, or if they don't even have a store nearby, you get free shipping, too
smile.gif

Bosch makes iridium California-spec spark plugs for your Accord, too. Rock Auto has them for about $5 each.

Also, get the valve cover gaskets. You might as well replace them while you have the engine apart. Get the Mahle brand from Rock Auto. And replace every gasket you have to remove when fighting your way to the back of the engine.

If you had the 4-cylinder, then no, you wouldn't need iridium, because even if you had any problems, they're easy to change out.

I know you're trying to help and I appreciate that, but I want anybody reading this to know that what you said about the rear plug access is 100% false. You can very easily reach the rear plugs and absolutely nothing except for the coils packs need to be removed.

the only advantage of iridiums is longer life. i don't like leaving plugs in a long time but some plugs can be such a hassle to change that you'll appreciate only doing them every 100K. i changed the sonata plugs at 100 and they looked almost new but when i changed the civic si plugs, they were worn out (both cars were iridium)

in a late model car, I'd definitely use the spec material. Ignition systems today can actually "read" the combustion process after ignition, using the plug as the sensor. I don't which vehicles use this tech - but if yours came stock with iridiums, I'd put the same material in the replacements.

For the relatively small increase in price of Iridium over Platinums, and really even over the standard/'copper' plugs (if you can find them), vs the greatly improved mileage/wear, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to go with Iridiums in a car that they plan to keep a long time.

Heck, when I replaced the plugs in my 2010 Fusion, at 215,000 miles, the plugs I pulled out were the factory original plugs. The way I see it, if Iridiums can last for 215,000 miles, I can't see cheaping out to save about $15-20 bucks on a set of 4. Yeah, I know Iridiums are rated at 100,000 miles, but from my experience, it's obvious that they can last MUCH longer than 100k in a good-running engine.

For my Fusion, at least, a basic platinum plug runs between $1.85 and $2.85 on RockAuto (they don't list 'copper' plugs for my engine), and a Bosch 9617 'Fine Wire Double Iridium' plug runs $4.78, with the NGK 4344 Iridium IX running $5.59. This means that I can spend $7.40 for a set of 4 Champion platinum plugs, or $22.40 for a set of 4 NGK Iridium IX plugs, which will likely last me 120,000 - 150,000 miles.. $15 difference, for a MUCH longer life. To me, it's no contest.

I went with autolite platinum XP in my fusion because platinum is what came out and autolite makes motorcraft I think. The OE plugs were in good shape and likely could have run at least another 50k. EFI is amazing. I’m at 177k miles now so the plugs have 50k or so on them and the car runs great.

So my answer. Put in what came out. My engine doesn’t need iridium. A GDI turbo might.

FWIW, I have an OEM Motorcraft-branded(I think it's NGK) Pt-Ir plug that was in my Lincoln LS for 125K miles sitting on my desk. It shows some electrode erosion, but the gap is exactly in spec.

I needed to change the COPs in the car, and I decided to the plugs at the same time because accessing the rear two COPs was a job and a half. After pulling the plugs, I realized I COULD have gotten away with leaving them, but I had replacements on hand already and putting in new plugs added 2 minutes to each coil.

Some engines are sensitive to the type of spark plug used. For a V6 Honda I would just get the Iridium if that's what they spec.

I'm using iridium plugs in both of my 98 chevy trucks. They are ACDelco plugs that are listed as replacements for the factory platinum plugs which had the hockey puck platinum discs on the side electrode that would fall off.

Originally Posted By: meep
in a late model car, I'd definitely use the spec material. Ignition systems today can actually "read" the combustion process after ignition, using the plug as the sensor. I don't which vehicles use this tech - but if yours came stock with iridiums, I'd put the same material in the replacements.

Only Saabs do that. As weird and geeky Saabs were, their Trionic engine control with ionization detection for knock control was a innovative system for its time(mid-1990s) and it allowed for higher boost pressures. I think Saab had turbocharging down to a science.

But still, I'd stick to OEM-spec and not lose sleep. You can away with standard plugs if you're willing to change plugs out every 30K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back