Do I have Bad Struts/Shock Absorber?

I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata hybrid. Recently this car is in body shop for paint scratch repair and I get a rental 2021 Camry SE. Compare to Camry, my Sonata has excessive body roll in tight corner and feels less stable when driving around 75 mph (More up/down chassis movements compare to Camry). When go through *some* speed bumps, the rear suspension of my sonata would bottom out. However, I don't feel any re-bounce when go though potholes. Steering wheel is not shaking. Dealer once suggests I have a loose sway bar in routine check, but mechanic from independent auto shop says my sway bar is fine.

My question is, for all these components in suspension system, which one would possibly cause this issue? Bad struts/shock absorber/shock mount/sway bar? Or is this just result of different factory tune? Appreciate for any comment & advice.

My question is, for all these components in suspension system, which one would possibly cause this issue? Bad struts/shock absorber/shock mount/sway bar? Or is this just result of different factory tune? Appreciate for any comment & advice.
That it's a 10 year old Hyundai would be the biggest factor. If it didn't bother you before, don't let it bother your now.

I think you are being too critical. You are expecting a ten year old Hyundai to ride as good as a new Toyota Camry. I would expect the Camry to ride better than a Hyundai Sonata when it was new. You are not comparing apples to apples.
I bought it pre-owned at 50k miles, never have a chance to know how it feels when brand new...... Since I rarely do test drive, these are the only two I can compare. I'd be happy if it is normal behavior!:LOL:

I would also consider that the Camry is an SE, which is the sportier version of the Camry. I'm sure that new shocks and struts would make some difference; however, those Sonatas were floaty even when they were new.

What kind of tires do you have on your Sonata? If you wanted to make the Sonata feel a bit more stable some higher performance tires would surely help.

I would also consider that the Camry is an SE, which is the sportier version of the Camry. I'm sure that new shocks and struts would make some difference; however, those Sonatas were floaty even when they were new.

What kind of tires do you have on your Sonata? If you wanted to make the Sonata feel a bit more stable some higher performance tires would surely help.
Stock Kumho tire, next time I will try getting a pair of Michelin......

I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata hybrid. Recently this car is in body shop for paint scratch repair and I get a rental 2021 Camry SE. Compare to Camry, my Sonata has excessive body roll in tight corner and feels less stable when driving around 75 mph (More up/down chassis movements compare to Camry). When go through *some* speed bumps, the rear suspension of my sonata would bottom out. However, I don't feel any re-bounce when go though potholes. Steering wheel is not shaking. Dealer once suggests I have a loose sway bar in routine check, but mechanic from independent auto shop says my sway bar is fine.

Looks like it's time for new struts & shocks. My "sign" for replacing these is when at highway speeds I start to notice that my foot dives in to and out of the gas pedal when going over imperfections in the road and I have to actively control how much gas I'm giving it as I'm driving. It sounds like they're starting to wear out and get lazy.

With the style of sway bar end links that are on your car, I wouldn't worry about changing them until they are broken or until the sway bar link bushings give out, but it wouldn't hurt to change them.

Your strut & shock mounts should be reusable unless they're damaged from a collision. These don't wear out easily

Shock & strut change will make a world of difference. It's greatly improved ride & handling on everything I'd done it on (8 - 36 year old cars).

I replaced the shocks on my 2005 Sport Trac in 2013. I didn't realize how sloppy it was handling until I experienced it handling like new again.

Consider ball joints & tie rod ends as well. Alignment can suffer when these parts wear, and can't be reliably aligned until these parts are tightened up.

Strut / shocks / bushings wear out gradually, it is not a "oh it died and now we must fix it or we are going to die" situation. When it is really untolerable for you then it is time for you to fix it. You also cannot patch your way from a low end car to a high end car, it doesn't work that way either.

Suspension complete refresh can means replace everything from struts / shocks to bushing and control arms, anything with rubbers inside, it is not worth it to just feel slightly better for a 10 year old car unless it is a collectible. Use it till it is time for a newer ride and then trade / sell it.

I did struts / shocks back then when I was younger and lower income without a family, at 160k, on 2 older cars. With a family of 4 now I probably just replace the cars. Wife and kids complain when a car is too smelly and old anyways, and I probably would need different kinds of car at different stages of life.

Strut / shocks / bushings wear out gradually, it is not a "oh it died and now we must fix it or we are going to die" situation. When it is really untolerable for you then it is time for you to fix it. You also cannot patch your way from a low end car to a high end car, it doesn't work that way either.

Suspension complete refresh can means replace everything from struts / shocks to bushing and control arms, anything with rubbers inside, it is not worth it to just feel slightly better for a 10 year old car unless it is a collectible. Use it till it is time for a newer ride and then trade / sell it.

I did struts / shocks back then when I was younger and lower income without a family, at 160k, on 2 older cars. With a family of 4 now I probably just replace the cars. Wife and kids complain when a car is too smelly and old anyways, and I probably would need different kinds of car at different stages of life.
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure a Sonata won't ride like a Camry, it's just the ride feels so different that make me doubt if my car's suspensions are bad.😆

Rock Auto carries OE quick struts for your Sonata. Mando is the OE supplier, and they claim to be the actual OE parts and the exact same as what was installed at the factory.

Although the Mando quick struts aren't listed for the hybrid Sonata, there's no reason the non-hybrid quick struts won't work :unsure:

Last edited:
I'd say your shocks are bad too. However, I've never driven or been in any Hyundai/Kia of that era in which their suspension didn't feel floaty and broken.

Back