DIY power bleeder

I used a professional $300 power bleeder once and then just had to make my own. Small HD garden sprayer and a few odd parts. I was worried that the pump seal might not like DOT3 but it turned out to not be the case.
The RV has 7 brake bleed ports and it is a LOT easier than the old pump and fill and better than a vacuum type.
I just buy a fresh quart of Prestone 3 and pump it all through whenever needed.
This is for the old Dodge single system - very important to maintain.

bleeder.jpg

So... you prime the hose then hook it up?
yes, not critical since it just dumps into the reservoir, same as the Branick I used

I just saw this one for cheap
but you still need the proper thing to fit over the cap if it doesn't fit yours

I used a professional $300 power bleeder once and then just had to make my own. Small HD garden sprayer and a few odd parts. I was worried that the pump seal might not like DOT3 but it turned out to not be the case.
The RV has 7 brake bleed ports and it is a LOT easier than the old pump and fill and better than a vacuum type.
I just buy a fresh quart of Prestone 3 and pump it all through whenever needed.
This is for the old Dodge single system - very important to maintain.

View attachment 123908
Is that your RV in the profile pic?

yes, not critical since it just dumps into the reservoir, same as the Branick I used

I just saw this one for cheap
but you still need the proper thing to fit over the cap if it doesn't fit yours
Whatever you do, avoid Vevor. The 1.5l fluid extractor I bought from them ended up in the trash.

Whatever you do, avoid Vevor. The 1.5l fluid extractor I bought from them ended up in the trash.
good to know! I took a chance with the $12 HD pump sprayer

"Garden-sprayer" brake bleeders do not separate the hygroscopic brake fluid from the humidity in the air used to pressurize them. The fluid is partially-contaminated from the time it's pumped-into the brake reservoir.

GM service manuals specifically warn against this type of brake pressure-bleeder.

A "real" brake pressure bleeder--like that Branick (and others)--uses a rubber diaphragm to separate the fluid from the pressurizing air.

"Garden-sprayer" brake bleeders do not separate the hygroscopic brake fluid from the humidity in the air used to pressurize them. The fluid is partially-contaminated from the time it's pumped-into the brake reservoir.

GM service manuals specifically warn against this type of brake pressure-bleeder.

A "real" brake pressure bleeder--like that Branick (and others)--uses a rubber diaphragm to separate the fluid from the pressurizing air.
Good points.

Very true.
I had pumped the whole quart(s) through within minutes of opening and filling though, and it's very dry here.
Always ill advised to use an old half-used bottle, or leave a bottle or the cap open for long. I used to use welding gas to floor containers but the tank is out of hydro.

Back