DIY brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me a total 2 hours to replace front pads and flush the brake fluid on the 1991 Tracer. Brake fluid was flush for the first time last year, the bleeder screws was frozen when I tried to crack open last year, I had to use WD40 and wait 30-45 minutes to unscrew the bleeders. The fluid was pit black last year, this time it is dark brown. I used 1 pint to flush the fronts only. The Mityvac fluid extractor finish the flush in less than 5 minutes each side, I only pump 4-5 times to slowly extract brake fluid. Bleeding the brake system with Mityvac is as easy as eating pizza.

Overall, changing brake pads is not that difficult, only time consuming in raising the car and remove/reinstall the wheels. If I drive it to my mechanic to have it done, I would be spending 2 hours total(1 hour drive round trip and 1 hour work) and $100 for labor to change pads and bleed brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

But if the parking brake cable mechanically works the caliper itself, then you need the brake caliper cube to screw the piston back in.

Forget the cube, there are better and more versatile caliper tools available that you can purchase or borrow from your local auto parts store.

IMG_4317.jpg

Another thing with the rotors. Sometimes they come packed slathered in machine oil. It's faster to just wash them with dish soap and warm water before spraying them with brake cleaner. I've had rotors so greasy they would kill a whole can of brake cleaner if I hadn't pre-washed them.

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
I would never do a brake job with the factory emergency scissors jack and no safety jack stands. Your health/safety should not be a passive thought when working on a car.

+1

This DIY definitely leaves out even the most basic notes on safety. A newbie should not use this as an example to learn from. A proper jack and jackstands should be required before attempting this job, IMO.

Last edited:
I always open a bleeder valve when I'm pushing in the caliper piston because I don't like pushing dirty fluid back up through the master cylinder. I also flush the brake system when I do brake jobs.

Wayne

The mity vac or a pressure bleeder is unnecessary to bleed brakes. I use a couple of feet of clear tubing in a small bottle of clean BF. or if I'm replacing a line, I just let it drip for a gravity bleed. I do my own brake work, but I dont do it often enough to justify the cost of such fancy tools. My special tool is a 5$ 8" C clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back