Discount Tire Strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a nail in the tire on my 16 Jetta GLI and needed to get it repaired fast so took off the wheel last night and dropped it off this morning at our local Discount Tire. Figured I would wait for it instead of running to work then back 30 min later. Wheel was in perfect shape other than a few stone chips from 25,000 miles of use. They plugged it quickly and when I rolled it out I noticed two separate 2 inch scratches on the wheel and immediately turned around to show the manager. He was a little defensive and didn't think where the damage was on the wheel could be done from the equipment. Maybe the wheel tipped over and hit something...who knows. The manager opened a claim and said they would take care of it so hopefully they can repair it acceptably. Should have learned when they narfed my STi wheels about 5 years ago...after this claim I'm done with them.

DT scored the paint all around the circumference of my Wife's Volvo wheels. Yes all 4! They bought us a new set of wheels.

And they featured "touch less mounting"!

I would highly recommend that...they have one guy there that knows I expect them back to me in the same condition I bring them. Unfortunately he wasn't there today and I didn't want to bring it back to get the nail removed. You shouldn't have to tell the tech/staff that you expect them to be worked on without scratching the wheels...but it seems like that is what is necessary at the majority of these places. Have to get the airbags fixed on the GT500 and am apprehensive to take it in too because I doubt it will get back to me without something compliments of the Ford service dept. Sucks...

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
And I'm getting four new shoes at one in Virginia next week. Guess I need to take photos of my wheels first.

The Discount Tire in Newport News, Virginia is an excellent facility that is managed professionally. In over 40 years of dealing with automotive services, it is the only provider that has exceeded my standards for customer service, technical excellence and professional integrity. They opened in late 2017 and I have used them on 3 occasions. I also have recommended them to friends and peers who have received similar treatment without any upsell.

Discount Tire doesn't care about keeping your stuff nice. I had them install a set of tires on a brand new set of wheels and they damaged 3 of them. Took about 2 months of them jacking me around before they resolved it. Don't recommend them if you have a nice car.

It just sucks that you have to sound like an [censored] during the check in process explaining how you are anal, and ask if they can do the work without putting any scratches in the wheel or car. Normally I do it but didn't today because I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Back to being and [censored] and having to explain how I expect to get the car back in the exact same condition it was in prior.

Originally Posted by legandrex
I would highly recommend that...they have one guy there that knows I expect them back to me in the same condition I bring them. Unfortunately he wasn't there today and I didn't want to bring it back to get the nail removed. You shouldn't have to tell the tech/staff that you expect them to be worked on without scratching the wheels...but it seems like that is what is necessary at the majority of these places. Have to get the airbags fixed on the GT500 and am apprehensive to take it in too because I doubt it will get back to me without something compliments of the Ford service dept. Sucks...

Check tire depth before you drop it off and then after you get it back. Seen videos of Ford Dealers that tech are taking joy rides in GT500. You can even put a camera in car pretty cheap.

Local Les Schwab is my tire store, great bunch of guys and they do Xcellent work.
cheers3.gif

I saw the worker at DT dismount the tires on our RAV then roll out the new tires, stand them up on the wheels locked into the machine, then twist them around as he lubed the tire bead. Excellent opportunity to scratch and grind dirt into the wheels. Poor practice. Luckily no damage but I bet it happens a lot.

i think the best defense for this is to take pix of the wheels before they start. i have been to enough discounts and every time i am there i watch them do mine and others car just out of curiousity.

Most run of the mill car they are not really gonna care about the wheel. take off and slap on. and in my area it just a bunch of young guys that work there.i have never seen an employee over 40 or 50 there .

its go go go and get it done quick . i watch this vid and just laughed. i doubt unless there was a camera on they would really take all this effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZZIbmBeyQ

The best defense is to avoid tire chains. They're meat grinders, same as the lube joints. My dealer charges no more than anyone else to mount, balance, and install tires. Patches aren't free but aren't expensive either. They're expedient. They have loaners if your car is new enough/you're a long term customer. They have a shuttle service.

They did 4 new tires in 45 minutes for me on Christmas Eve when they arrived at my house early. They were open, said bring it in. Balanced perfectly, didn't add any scratches.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The best defense is to avoid tire chains. They're meat grinders, same as the lube joints. My dealer charges no more than anyone else to mount, balance, and install tires. Patches aren't free but aren't expensive either. They're expedient. They have loaners if your car is new enough/you're a long term customer. They have a shuttle service.

They did 4 new tires in 45 minutes for me on Christmas Eve when they arrived at my house early. They were open, said bring it in. Balanced perfectly, didn't add any scratches.

This exactly ^ My dealer charges the same as the tire chains, never have any issues. The final straw with a tire chain was being charged for new valve stems when they weren't replaced.
frown.gif

Last edited:
….Should have learned when they narfed my STi wheels about 5 years ago...after this claim I'm done with them.
Reads like a "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" situation. And sounds like a plan. There's many other tire shops.

My experience much like Nukeman7. Since 2004, only place I buy and a have my tires serviced, they've given me no reason to do otherwise. As with many chains, I'm sure it can be store and management dependent, but I've been to 4-5 different ones and level of service consistently high. While I'm certain they're not perfect, I haven't been to a shop that is. And ime, they've gone out their way to keep me satisfied.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by legandrex

Check tire depth before you drop it off and then after you get it back. Seen videos of Ford Dealers that tech are taking joy rides in GT500. You can even put a camera in car pretty cheap.

Seriously, do you actually think measuring tread depth you can figure out if they took it for a joy ride? How many miles can they drive between when you drop it off and pick it up? It would take several days of driving 24 hours a day before you could possibly measure the driving via tread depth?

How about just recording the mileage?

Last edited:
Try and anticipate any problems that could happen when you drop off the tires (or having any work done).
I have always found it useful to say, "this is my concern".
It lets the employee behind the counter know he's dealing with a customer who does care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Seriously, do you actually think measuring tread depth you can figure out if they took it for a joy ride? How many miles can they drive between when you drop it off and pick it up? It would take several days of driving 24 hours a day before you could possibly measure the driving via tread depth?

How about just recording the mileage?

Tread depth measures the burn-out tire-roasting, which is independent of mileage. We are talking about a GT500.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I've had very bad experiences at local places. DT has been great so far.

I have doubts. Why would they use any equipment to actually plug a tire as you put it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back