DIRTY MOBIL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my cars is a Hyundai Getz with 1.3 SOHC engine, one year old and owned by me from new. Oil & filter changed with Havoline 10W-30 dino at 500, 2000, 5000 miles with change to Mobil 1 10W-30 at 6000 miles. The car now has 9500 miles and the Mobil 1 is very dirty, almost black, compared to the nice golden brown of the Havoline. My other car is a Toyota Kluger (Highlander) with 3.3 V6 is also on a diet of Mobil 1 10W-30 which is a nice golden brown at 6000 miles after similar oci to the Hyundai. I know color is not an indication of oil condition but the Hyundai oil color is the worst I have ever had in many years of motoring. Any comments? I drive very sedately and the car is running very well.
Thanks, Roger

Dang, Roger, mine's an AccentGT with the 1.6L 4 DOHC, I did the early changes just like yours (ok, ok, MORE than yours, but maybe my affliction runs a little deeper to the core?).
lol.gif
Mine was new in February of this year.

At 4500 miles, I changed to M1 5W20 with a shot of VSOT 1.5 oz/Quart. and an AMSOIL SDF36 filter and that OCI will carry me to the first stop at the dealer for 15K service. So far, the oil is finally beginning to show dark on a napkin, but the dipstick still shows it golden at 11,000 miles (6500 miles on the oil). I wait and wait for it to get dirty and it doesn't.

If yours is black, it's just doing it's job, but if you drive in a lot of dusty areas (I don't), or a lot of short trips, or if you push the car hard to get it out of it's own way maybe it's nearly done.

Severe service OCI is still pretty much recognized around here (BITOG) as 3000 miles (or the equiv. in kilometers) so you may be ready for an OCI. M1 has gotten so expensive lately, I'm going to dump the M1 out of spite and run 5000-7500 mile OCI with Havoline 5W20 for awhile, see how that comes out. These engines don't stress the oil much.

What kind of filter do you use? I can only blame the filter for my oil staying clean for so long, as this is the longest I've ever gone on oil that stayed this clean.

How's your coolant in that thing? Mine was awful, right from the factory. Take a good look at it.

Good luck!
cheers.gif

What they said. Synthetic is a high detergent oil and will clean out the motor of grime and what not. I ran it in my 2000 Yukon and it was UGLY. A couple of changes later it stays nice and gold up until change at 5000 miles. Not to worry. My '05 Neon was dirty at first change then okay after that with similar break in oil changes.

Aaron

Thanks for the reassuring responses. The filter is Hyundai and the coolant looks to be just fine. The car goes in for its 15000 kms, 9500 mile service next week and will be filled with fresh Mobil 1 which I hope will end up nice and golden!
Roger

Roger,
You're aware that color is no indicator of how the oil is doing, correct? And you're aware that different additive packages will react differently when exposed to heat, turning them dark, right? And you know that Mobil has a different additive package than Havoline, yes?

If you really have concerns about the oil, do a UOA. Otherwise don't worry about the color.

Michaelc80
Yes I am aware of all you say, however my concern is that the oil on my other car is much, much cleaner. However I am hoping that when the oil is changed the next fill will remain cleaner.
Thanks
Roger

It is curious that an engine with only 9,500 total miles would dirty its oil to the extent you described - particularly with your conservative approach to lube maintenance. I wouldn't panic, but the next run with fresh motor oil should be informative. I'd almost be considering a bad fuel injector if your fuel consumption has risen noticeably.

Roger, the M1 oil change I had in my Corvette from about 600 miles to 2600 miles came out quite dark too. I'm used to M1 looking pretty good after 6,000 miles in 3 other vehicles for several years so I'm not a newbie when it comes to what used M1 looks like.

I has a UOA done by Blackstone and there were no problems indicated, essentially no moisture or fuel contamination and low contamination and wear elements in the oil.

Also, the oil hadn't been running particularly hot and the car hadn't been driven hard.

I suspect it has something to do with it being a new engine, but can't explain why.

Only way to tell for sure is to go ahead and do a UOA. You don't have to fall into the pattern of doing this with every change. This would be an ideal one-time test scenario. If all looks good, you can forge ahead and not worry about the blackness, confident that you've got data to back up your conclusion. If for some reason, your car is overworking the oil, you can either seek the cause if it's something fixable, and react accordingly. If it's just what your car does naturally, you'll know to scale back the OCI as the numbers suggest.
cheers.gif

quote:

One of my cars is a Hyundai Getz with 1.3 SOHC engine, one year old and owned by me from new. Oil & filter changed with Havoline 10W-30 dino at 500, 2000, 5000 miles with change to Mobil 1 10W-30 at 6000 miles. The car now has 9500 miles and the Mobil 1 is very dirty, almost black, compared to the nice golden brown of the Havoline......

You're aware of course, that Mobil recommend an initial OCI of <3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back