Directv rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two residences that have Directv installed. I carry my Genie box back and forth and have all my channels except local at one of them. This winter in Fl. I had to have a service call so I had to change my address. Did it over the phone, had a great service call with a new dish installed. So before I headed back north, I went online to change my address again. Wouldn't let me do it due to at&t changing it over to a new system. I called and they couldn't do it until Sunday night which was 5 days away. Now when you call them, you get a message that your wait time will be 1 min. Well 1 min.=45 mins. every time. I didn't get the NCAA tourney. So Sunday afternoon/evening arrives so I call again because I want to see the Natl. championship game on Mon. night. After another 45min. wait they tell me that they can't change the address until a tech comes out a week from now. I tell them everything is working fine, I just don't get local channels. Nope their new system can't do it. Tech is supposed to come Sunday am. Maybe I'll get to see the Masters final round.
I must have talked to at least 10 people and it was like Abbott and Costello Who's on First. No joke. Most of them have no clue what they are doing. Nor can they talk to you....they read off a computer screen to you. All but one had accents and were fairly understandable but they had their mics too close to their mouths.
I'm paying $147 a month for this so I look at Dish and it seems I can get my same channels for about $80 a month locked in for 2 yrs. I've had Dish before and they are not much better but at&t has really screwed up Directv more than it already was. These companies are just too [censored] big to even function.

Have you considered streaming?

I take a Roku on vacation. And, as long as you have reasonable internet service, it does not matter where I set up the device.

Total cost for Internet and YouTubeTV mo. But, may or may not have the channels you want.

I cut the cord years ago, although we did get Roku. I only state this so as to mention, once you get out of step with "what's on" then you no longer feel the pressure to keep up. The good shows show up on cheapo streaming services, and then you can binge watch (if that is what you are into).

Once you get a year or two behind new you can reap the cost savings. I waited until smartphones got cheap before I got one; now there are lots of cheap data plans too. Same on streaming TV.

AT&T has completely destroyed DTV. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with their tech support one day just trying to schedule an appointment for one of their techs to come to my house and replace a cable my dog chewed on the outside of our house. I have Dish Network at my apartment in IL. Dish blows DTV away. The programming is better, the menus are easier to use, it's less expensive, and the customer service is better. I will soon be dumping DTV at my house in OH in favor of Dish Network. AT&T is going to drive DTV out of business...

Last edited:
Dump'em too. Got Charter for land line, internet, and 3 TV's. $170 for all three. Still too high but saving $60 a month after all said and done.

TV as a whole is a big waste of $$$$. got dish at the moment $53.xx monthly on the 2 year deal but when it goes up soon i will prolly drop it. except for football in the cold winter i watch little. what i liked about direct is i could shut it off for free for 6 summer months, now there is a small charge. although i can afford it the cost for minimal useage may have me discontinue it totally.

Roku, the only way to go & I get all my locals (like 50 of them) for $12.99 mo. from my ISP, Directv was $128 mo. I called Directv to see if I could possibly get a lower price (been with them 20 years) they said this is what it costs for the service I get. I then said cancle my account, they said they could take $10 off, I said shove it & have'nt looked back. OH, turn your old laptop into android & get Bluestacks, then you can watch most anything free.

I ditched them because I refused to pay $90 a month for their most basic package... if I'm paying to watch tv, I'm not watching 15 minutes worth of commercials every hour. But yeah, ATT has ruined them. Called the first time to cancel and they knocked my bill down to $40 a month. Took all of 15 minutes.

Then the 2nd time they just let me cancel, but then tried charging me for the boxes saying I never returned them. Well, I had the UPS receipt showing I did. They had to go "find" them but didn't remove 2 of the charges, so I called again and this time she was like "we can send your old boxes back to you, it'd be $25 a month, and we will give you a $200 gift card." Thanks but no thanks, I'm not dealing with this again in a year. Each time I called it was 30+ minutes.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I ditched them because I refused to pay $90 a month for their most basic package... if I'm paying to watch tv, I'm not watching 15 minutes worth of commercials every hour. But yeah, ATT has ruined them. Called the first time to cancel and they knocked my bill down to $40 a month. Took all of 15 minutes.

Then the 2nd time they just let me cancel, but then tried charging me for the boxes saying I never returned them. Well, I had the UPS receipt showing I did. They had to go "find" them but didn't remove 2 of the charges, so I called again and this time she was like "we can send your old boxes back to you, it'd be $25 a month, and we will give you a $200 gift card." Thanks but no thanks, I'm not dealing with this again in a year. Each time I called it was 30+ minutes.

I wouldn't call them for any reason. Your calls go to an overseas call center where the people working there can barely understand me, and I can barely understand them. I absolutely HATE these places! If I need to contact them for any reason, I chat with them. I'm also not looking forward to canceling my service with them, I foresee a huge goat rope coming...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm in rural WV where my choices are only satellite for tv. Internet is 1 mbs dsl or 4g lte. so streaming is out. My LTE is bandwidth limited. Think I'll go to Dish. Just have to do something in FL.

My condo was reroofed three years ago. Roofers misaimed my Dish antenna. When I contacted them, they wanted $130 to reaim it, waived if I updated equipment and sign another multi year contract. Cut Dish and haven't looked back. I have more than enough streaming on Roku to drown in, including the above mentioned Pluto. Direct TV shills in Costco know not to make eye contact because I'm loudly dismissive of their wares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back