dip stick out of calibration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I have a 2000 Durango 4.7 V8, and the oil capacity with a filter is 6 quarts. I changed the oil on a level surface (put in 6 quarts of course) ran the engine for 20 minutes. After I ran it I let the truck sit for 15 minutes and re checked the oil level (stated in bold print in the manual) and saw the level was about a quart over the full mark. I have read up on this and found that this is a common problem with these dodge's. I called a couple of dealerships but got no help. A co worker of mine told me today to pull the dip stick out and lightly engrave the "new full" mark where the oil level is, and the old full mark can be the "new add mark." Well Just curious to know anyone else have this problem? I am thinking of doing what my co worker suggested.

Last edited:
I think they mean it's 6 quarts with the filter if the engine were dry from the factory and not when you are changing it. I would put in 5 the next time, run the engine to fill the filter then wait a couple minutes, and check the dipstick. Then top up accordingly if needed.

Being a bit overfull in your case won't hurt anything...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think they mean it's 6 quarts with the filter if the engine were dry from the factory and not when you are changing it. I would put in 5 the next time, run the engine to fill the filter then wait a couple minutes, and check the dipstick. Then top up accordingly if needed.

Being a bit overfull in your case won't hurt anything...

good point

I would have checked the level first thing in the morning and made a scratch (line) on the dip stick to indicate the full 6 quarts.

My 02 Cavalier Ecotec is the same way. I put 5 of the 5.8 QT specified in and the dipstick shows it overfull. I have run it 140K that way.

They ordered the wrong dipstick tubes ..or the wrong dipsticks. Too many ordered too early ..making it too late to change.

It doesn't matter. Whatever the specified volume added ends up at on the stick
21.gif
Do the scratch thing.

I'd trust the powertrain engineers who developed the engine far more than I'd trust some piece of flexy metal stuck in a tube.

I view the dipstick as little more than a guide, a rough idea of how much oil is in my engine. It sure ain't no metal bible and I don't trust it anymore than I have to.

The 4.7 takes 6 quarts. We had a 2003 and the stick read full with 6 quarts and a new filter. Just scratch a new line or get a stick and tube from a 2003.

There are some Mazdaspeed 6s that do this too. A drain and fill with filter calls for 6 quarts in the manual. I normally let my car drain for 1/2 hour or more. When I put 6 quarts in, I'm 1/4" overfull on the dipstick. It was that way when I bought the car, so I don't give it too much thought.

yeh been whacking' people with your dipstick again ? That'll make it read wrong . :- ) Seriously , let the truck sit overnight and then check . If still off , may want to get new dipstick from auto salvage or at dealership . The YARIS we have takes overnight to get accurate reading . It also reads full on one side and little less on the other . A bit deceiving .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back