Dino Price Comparison at Wal-Mart........

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at Wal-Mart today and decide to look at the dino prices since I have an oil change coming up just for fun. Prices were as follows for 5 quart jugs.

MC5K $11.50
QS $12.00
Valvoline $13.00
Castrol GTX $13.50
Pennzoil $14.50

Are these the prices you guys are seeing? I hear alot of negative talk about how Castrol has priced themselves out of the market yet Pennzoil is the most expensive from what I saw and gets alot of attention here. MC5K looked to be the best overall value. I wasn't aware Pennzoil now demands a higher price than GTX. What's up with the new pricing?

my walmart has the motorcraft 5w20 back in stock in the 5 qt jugs at 14.00 and it says it is now GF-5 rated.

Same prices at my local Wal-Mart for the 5 qt jugs. The induvidual quarts are way more expensive though. PYB was 3.92/qt and GTX was 4.17/qt.

MC5k is lowest priced name brand dino in jugs, however no 5w20 MC5k in jugs. QS is the least expensive major dino in the 5w20 weight @ $12.00

Prices same as OP except Castrol GTX @$15.50, as usual highest priced dino.

Valvoline has dropped recently, Maxlife @$13.50 is a good deal.

I don't check Wally qts. prices, I would only purchase qts. at Wally on price match. That said, I'd say their everyday quarts prices are competitive or lower than everyday prices at auto parts stores.

Just traveling around town, I frequent 3 W*M's and I think that all 3 are close in price but I could swear I see some differences between the 3. These prices could change regularly/weekly/monthly as I have never visited all 3 W*M's in the same day and hope I never do! They are all seemingly close to the prices that rewote500 has mentioned. IIRC, WM-ST is 5qtjug/$10.

There was no special pricing on the GTX. Something else that was weird is all the Castrol synthetics were cheaper than Mobil 1 and PP. Syntec was $21, M1 $24.50 and PP $23.50. Usually the Castrol products are the most expensive. Edge was $1 less than M1EP. And a little off topic, but there was No Valvoline Maxlife in sight anywhere! Not sure what the deal is at my local Wally World.

similar changes here. Bummer, i was liking the PYB for 12.50. I have no problem using the M5000 though if the price stays down. Also the rotella 10w30 is back up at 16 a gallon from 11.50

I'm liking the MC5K and I hope that it stays at $11.50 5qts. I just wish that the WalMarts around me had the 5w-20 in 5qt jugs!

It's the same in the WalMarts around my area, TX. Thought, they've MaxLife blend for $13.5. That's why I've got that instead of PYB. Seriously, couple months ago, PYB are still selling for ~$12. What happened?

There might be a bit of entertainment value to checking prices WM to WM, but ultimately, it is utterely irrelevant. The cheapest (MC5K $11.50) to the most expensive (Pennzoil $14.50) is a whopping 3 dollars difference. Over a 7500 mile OCI, thats a dollars difference every 2500 miles, or a dime's difference every 250 miles...its nothing!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
There might be a bit of entertainment value to checking prices WM to WM, but ultimately, it is utterely irrelevant. The cheapest (MC5K $11.50) to the most expensive (Pennzoil $14.50) is a whopping 3 dollars difference. Over a 7500 mile OCI, thats a dollars difference every 2500 miles, or a dime's difference every 250 miles...its nothing!

7500 miles on dino.......
37.gif

Quote:
I just wish that the WalMarts around me had the 5w-20 in 5qt jugs!
Never have seen MC5K 5w20 in 5qt jugs at Wally, ever. Don't think they make it. 50 cents more gets you QS Green, also decent.

And, the closest Wally has dropped the price of GTX to $13.50. So, two of the normally highest price dino's, Valvoline and Castrol, are now less expensive than PYB and MC SynBlend 5w20.

Originally Posted By: rewote500
Are these the prices you guys are seeing?

At my Canadian Walmarts, the GTX is on sale fairly regularly, and can be pretty hard to beat. VWB has been on sale for months now, probably the best deal of all. QS GB has also been on sale, just a tad higher than VWB. Of all things, they are having a big rollback on QS GB 5w-30 SN/GF-5, when they haven't even gotten rid of all the SM/GF-4 at the same price.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

7500 miles on dino.......
37.gif

I run 10k on dino and no problems at all with a fine UOA. Every engine is different but its quite feasible. Keep running your syn at 5k though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back