Dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a '95 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 which needs some TLC. I've had the truck for a good while, and although I like it, I'm just somewhat tired of it. I've came across a really, really good deal on a 92 Range Rover County. Before anybody gives me the warning lecture about English cars, I'm aware of all the pitfalls that come along with them (mediocre climate control, nonexistent parts availability, and electrical systems which are usually made up of spit and bailing wire), but in spite of all that I am very, very interested in the Rover. Here's the catch. In order for me to buy it, I will have to sell my Tahoe. The two trucks have roughly the same mileage, but arguably the Chevy needs more work (see my earlier posts). Any advice or help about this decision would be really appreciated!

I was in a similar position when I bought my car. I had a 1995 Nissan Maxima, which should have been a less costly car to own, all else equal. Long story short, it wasn't; my current car paid for itself over the Maxima in about a year and a half, if I recall correctly. Given that it's also a much more fun car, it was a no-brainer.

It's always a gamble, of course. All you can do is your homework.
wink.gif

Good luck!

Personally I would not buy a truck that has known electrical problems and limited parts availability. I would not want a truck that has such expensive parts either.

If you're so broke the $2k from the Tahoe is what you need to get into this English heap... don't do it.

The Tahoe would make a great parts runner or work commuter while you mail order parts for the Landy. You could, conceivably do well with the range rover if you can spin a wrench, find good repair info (fan forum), and wait for spare parts from ebay or wherever.

Not as a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
The British drink warm beer because Lucas makes refrigerators
[

As a former MGB GT owner...I'll drink to that!

Stay far away. Lucas electrics...enough said.

Spending weekends buried in a fusebox getting eaten alive by skeeters while sweating my tail off during a humid NC summer isn't my idea of fun.

Lucas... prince of darkness!

I had an MGB once, admittedly long ago (it was in the late 1970s). My story: I remember laying in the rain soaked gutter, replacing a fuel pump in the winter, because it was my daily driver. My impression was that their engineering had too thin a safety factor. Maybe things change...

No change.

Unless you just like looking at the thing in your driveway, I'd pass. Because it will sit in your driveway, or someone's garage 99% of the time.

Alrighty then... I didn't figure there would be many British car fans on BITOG, but the shellacking was unexpected.

I asked for opinions, and I got them. I appreciate your candor, but here's how I see it. I'm looking at buying the Rover because 1. I like it (otherwise I wouldn't pay it any mind)
2. Frankly, I'm impressed with its off-road capabilities &
3. All the parts prices I've checked don't really look much higher than what it cost to put replacement parts on my Chevy.

Despite the board's opinion, my Tahoe has been far from trouble free. In my 3 years of ownership, it has gone through a rear end, air conditioning compressor, set of TBI fuel injectors, fuel pump, front and rear brakes, and a host of lesser items. It still needs a variety of repairs done to it, and honestly if I'm going to have to work on something all the time, I'd just as soon work on something that has a little bit more uniqueness to it than a Chevy that I see between 5-10 of each day on the highway.

With particular regard to eljefino's post:

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you're so broke the $2k from the Tahoe is what you need to get into this English heap... don't do it.

For starters, I do not need the money from selling my Tahoe to purchase the Range Rover. I can cut a check this evening to buy it, if I so choose. I stated I would have to sell the Tahoe because I do not see a point in owning two V8 4 wheel drive SUV's that get 15 miles to the gallon, especially not when they are both maintenance intensive.

As I said earlier, I appreciate your opinions. I just don't see where the harsh responses were called for. For those who posted them, just out of curiosity how many of you have ever owned a Land Rover product? Or a British vehicle of any sort, for that matter?

Thanks.

My Triumph Spitfire had an electronic ignition kit added to it by the previous owner. Pertronix I think.
21.gif
Never had any electrical problems.

My BSA Starfire? That thing was made out of electrical problems. Fortunately, a cycle dealer in Grand Prairie had NOS Lucas parts. Unfortunately, they were expensive and often short lived.

And the rust.
33.gif
N-TX cars don't rust. Unless they are Vega's or English. One would think that coming from a relatively wet climate on an island in the Atlantic that the English would be better at building a corrosion resistant vehicle. Guess not.

I have owned a British vehicle - two in fact. Triumph motorcycles, with electrical by Lucas. Trust me, Lucas has earned the title "Prince of Darkness".

On the other hand, looks like you've talked yourself into this vehicle because of it's off road capabilities, and are prepared to accept the maintainability drawbacks. Buy it and enjoy it. Just be prepared to have alternate transportation for when it's down.

Cheers.

On average, my 98 K1500 $700, yearly cost, 02 Volvo XC, $850 yearly cost (maintenance/accessories, gas not included). And the Volvo is leaps and bounds more comfortable. The "more expensive parts/hard to maintain" always cracks me up and is NOT true. Although I do prefer the Swedes over the brits
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gradymotorco
As I said earlier, I appreciate your opinions. I just don't see where the harsh responses were called for.

Next time we'll remember to be more wishy-washy and non-committal when asked of our opinions.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Why are people still bringing up cars from the '70s?

A. Because we're a bunch of old pharts.
B. Because they left quite an impression.

With all sincerity, I'll wish greymotorco good luck with his new ride. I'm NOT being snarky, the Range Rover is a handsome vehicle, British styling and quite a legacy behind it. Enjoy.

Been owned by Tata since 2008.
I guess this news story won't help:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/report-angry-chinese-driver-tows-range-rover-back-to-dealer-wit/
A man in Shenyang, China was reportedly so frustrated with his 2010 Land Rover Range Rover breaking down that he towed it back to the dealer and asked for a full refund. To add a little insult to his heady request, the spurned owner towed the stricken SUV with a pair of donkeys.

Apparently the guy paid ¥2 million (about $304,000) for the English SUV in 2010. Since the purchase, the car reportedly broke down six times and eventually needed a new engine. When it died a seventh time, the owner was apparently at wit's end. The stunt managed to hammer the point home in a much less destructive manner than a certain Lamborghini owner recently chose. According to Asian auto news outlet TheTycho, the doubtlessly dumbfounded dealer refused to give the customer a refund.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Why are people still bringing up cars from the '70s?

Because the English did not get any better in the '80s or '90s.

even under the stewardship of Honda, and equipped with virtually the same powertrain as the Legend, the Rover/Sterling was known for electrical problems.

I like English cars and bikes. I've owned a few. But I would not have one for a daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back