Difficulty reading dipstick to accurately check oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paper towel works.
I just slowly run my finger down the dipstick until I strike oil.
Then I add more until it's overfilled. Sheesh.
Fast, easy and simple.

Last edited:
On my 14 Corolla that uses no oil when I check the stick it doesn`t seem to stick evenly to the stick. I think at the low end of the stick instead of being so smooth they should be a kind of rough surface .

If you allowed it to drain completely, put what is suggested in the manual. Check the oil the next morning before starting. If the level does not show full, use a scribe to mark where the level is at on the dip stick. I had to do that on my Fords.

It is really fun to check clean new transmission fluid when it is hot to get the correct level. I will take motor oil that can be checked cold any day.

Rod

Yes this is a common issue. The most effective way is to pull the dipstick and leave it out for at least 30 minutes. Wipe it off REALLY good, push it in and pull it out, then hold it near a light and you should see the shiny area pretty easily. I like the idea of laying it down on a paper towel to see where it gets wet, but you need to be careful not to move the stick around too much or it will get confusing where the oil level is.
I know you are meticulous about maintaining a FULL reading but really, if you're not pushing the truck hard, it only needs to read between the ADD and FULL marks -- this is called the "safe zone" by most manufacturers, for a reason.
If you are towing, hauling, crawling/wheeling, or other severe service, then it would be best to maintain the level at or near the FULL mark.

Thank you all for your input, feedback and suggestions.

smile.gif

Ed

Dipstick on my Fords are a darkish grey color so I take some sandpaper or sanding foam block and sand of the finish to a shiny surface
Problem solved
Easy to see then, clean or dirty oil

PITA to read the oil level on 2gr-fe. I can only recommend what other posters before suggested: read the dipstick when cold, before cranking the engine in the morning without reinserting it to read it again, cause the second reading will look vastly different :) :) Or in the afternoon when leaving the office before heading home will also work, 8-8:30 hours is enough to get an accurate reading.

Yep AurionX2, I agree with checking it first thing in the morning before a drive. I found that it shows up better on the dipstick for me.

My Charger is horrible when it comes to reading the oil dipstick. I just cannot tell the level AT ALL, no matter what I do. The oil is smeared all over the dipstick.

If you can't figure out how to design a legible dipstick, you should at least display the level electronically in the dashboard, but of course FCA didn't bother with that either. It's the little things like that which differentiate good cars from great cars.

One solution that I've heard of is taking your dipstick to your local welding shop and having them sandblast the lower portion of the stick, from the Full mark on down. The matte finish then seems to make it easier to see the oil against the matte background.

Ed

I`m wondering to if the issues of oil not showing good on the dipstick is mostly because of the better full synthetic oil most people use today.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
I`m wondering to if the issues of oil not showing good on the dipstick is mostly because of the better full synthetic oil most people use today.
From a visibility standpoint, it doesn't help for the oil to be nearly colorless when new, or to be thin.

A little trick a motorcycle mechanic taught me for hard to read dipsticks is a little white touch-up paint or nail polish on the crosshatched area of the dipstick to see the oil level to provide contrast against the used oil.

What I usually do if possible is to do a cold check before starting the engine to see if there's enough oil to safely start. Then do a "hot" check when you're getting gas after a minute of standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back