differential oil 2002 5.3 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drained and added around 2.5 quarts of synthetic Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear to my differential. 2002 Silverado 1500 5.3 has 149k. Each quar cost me 13.00 dollars

Originally Posted By: daman
There's NO clutch packs in a G80 a G80 is a mechanical locker so with or without a G80 a additive IS NOT needed.

pick a synthetic 75w90 and have at it.

I am not sure what is meant by a clutch pack, but the G-80 has carbon disks somewhere in the mechanism.

Hey, I've been trying to figure out what differential I have in my truck since I got it. Nobody seems to have any clues! I know I don't have a G80 code and it's 2WD LT ext. cab model.

Look inside the glove compartment. How do you know you don't have a G-80?

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Hey, I've been trying to figure out what differential I have in my truck since I got it. Nobody seems to have any clues! I know I don't have a G80 code and it's 2WD LT ext. cab model.

then you have an open diff....nothing special

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
This is only partly correct.

GM has had both limited slips and lockers in trucks from '57... assuming you want to call the Eaton "Gov-Lock" a "true" locker (they do call it the Eaton Locking Differential). I would argue that it's not a "true" locker as it cannot fully "lock" 100 percent side to side because it uses plates that are clamped by a governor.

the driver side axle gear does lock to the case via matching teeth in the case and axle gear, they also mechanically governed so that the locker doesn't engage at speeds over 15mph... but yes it will do a %100 lock

Originally Posted By: Gito
Look inside the glove compartment. How do you know you don't have a G-80?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, but I did look. I do not have a G-80 code listed.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
Originally Posted By: bigmike

then you have an open diff....nothing special

Does it require any gear oil additives? The dealer serviced it and added the GM limited slip additive and I couldn't get a clear answer why. Does this additive do anything special in open differentials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back