Differential Gear Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hay people! Look at the LE gear demo again.

The bottom gear on the left is turning CW while the "other" brand gear on the right is turning CCW.
tongue.gif

I think 640 X 480 pixels is good enough for most jpg images.

[ August 23, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

Ok good point. But a counter-arguement could be that Red Line is not designed for trucks or construction equipment. Apples to apples, remember?
tongue.gif
j/k Even though they do say it provides protection ranging from high torque/low-speed to highspeed/shock loading
Also I would think all it would take is one revolution of the ring gear to get everything fully coated. Which in my car would only take 72.8". Even backing up I will cover that distance in about 1 second. Also I don't know for sure the position of the pinion gear in relationship to the oil level, but in my car it would have already turned 3.73 times in that second of backing up. So I question if that climbing is even necessary?(for cars at least) I can see where the throw-off resistance would be benefical in highspeeds and shock-loading, such as provided by RL Shockproof though.

But that sounds like a interesting experiment at least. Did you try Red Line? How about their Shockproof?
I have no problems with the "backyard" experiments. I think they are cool.
patriot.gif

Yeh, the pictures blew it for a notebook screen.
I'd love to see the performance of Delo Gear with Borate EP in that dif. I've been abusing it in heavy trucks at all speeds (including 25 ton capacity trailers towing 15 tons on a scond trailer) without being able to get temperatures over 60 C. Guess I'll call a customer with 150,000 km with Delo Gear in each of his buses and beg for a sample.

Lubrication Engineers, Inc. I use their LE 607 gear oil (SAE 90/GL5) in my S2000 and Tundra rear diffs. Very impressive mineral based EP gear oil. With a -11F pour point, it probably isn't your best choice for arctic climates though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back