Differential Fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I decided to finally change the diff fluid in my 03 Dodge ram 1500. It has the LS clutch pack and I decided to add 3oz of LS fluid with the Valvoline 75w140 Full Synthetic gear oil. My biggest concern was that I planned to use a gasket instead of RTV. I had Red and Black RTV but have found comments that using a synthetic fluid you need to use either the Dodge Orange or permatex Green because they are resistant to the synthetic fluids. I dont know if its true but since Permatex decided to create a special RTV for it I took it seriously. Anyway when I went to get some my local AAP did not have any but could order it for $14/tube or a Felpro Gasket for $7 so I picked up the gasket. I had the oil changed by the dealership when the truck was under warranty back in 2006 so I was surprised when I took the cover off and found Red RTV covered by Gray RTV. It looked like they made a half hearted attempt at removing the Red but where did the gray come from if it needed Orange or green. The truck only has 60k miles on it and I was worried about the clutch pack retainers that were known to break and fall to the bottom but I was lucky and everything was in good shape with only about 1 mm of metal sludge stuck to the magnet in the bottom. After I got everything cleaned real well with a scrubby pad and brake cleaner I hung the gasket on the cover with a couple bolts through the top holes and then just finger tightened them and added the rest the same way. Used a cross pattern to tighten them all to 20 ftlbs and then went back and redid them all at the 30 ftlb spec. According to FelPro no gasket dressing is required so I was crossing my fingers. Added the LS fluid and 2.1 qts of Valvoline and took it for a 15 mile drive. NO LEAKS SO FAR. So does anyone have any experience using Synthetic fluid and some RTV other than green or orange, what ever the gray is it didnt leak for 14 years and has anyone ever used the gasket instead of the recommended RTV.

Using the gasket you will eventually get leakage. I use Permatex 81182 RTV alone and have never had a leak and I've made probably 30 or 40 rear diff fluid changes on various RWD vehicles over the years.

Thanks, I will be keeping a closer eye on it. I should never have let it go 40k miles anyway and recently reading about the clutch pack retainer problem of the gen 3 diffs put it on the front burner. It was a lot blacker than I would have liked so its on the schedule for 15k mile changes now.

I changed out my gear oil on my 2008 Chev 3/4 ton none too soon, (about five years and 50,000 miles) . I bought a new AC Delco cover as I wasn't sure how deep the corrosion pits were on the old cover relative to the thickness. I bought a Felpro blue gasket and used Permatex High Tack on the cover side and nothing on the differential side. It has seen plenty of 90 degree days and over 100 freeze thaw cycles as it's stored over night inside the garage then it's outside all day. Still holding fine. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Last edited:
I am running a Felpro blue paper gasket on my 1993 C1500 rear diff. I think it has been over a year now, maybe closer to 2?? Not sure but no leaks. Sealed great thus far.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Using the gasket you will eventually get leakage. I use Permatex 81182 RTV alone and have never had a leak and I've made probably 30 or 40 rear diff fluid changes on various RWD vehicles over the years.

I had similar luck with gaskets and Permatex High Tack sprayed on them.

I've used Fel-Pro gaskets on the differential cover of my '95 Dakota for most of its 25 years, replacing the synthetic oil (mostly Mobil 1 75w-90) and gasket every 30K for the truck's 238K total mileage. No leaks from the cover gaskets. The only differential leak I've ever had was from the input seal at about 170K, IIRC.

I wouldn't worry at all. I have used Felpro gaskets on my differential covers for years with synthetic lube(M1) and never had a problem. I always make sure the holes on the diff cover are not dimpled out before reinstalling. I will take a gasket over RTV anyday. If you don't have the surface PERFECTLY clean, you will always have a leak with RTV.

Been using silicon gasket maker in diffs with synthetic oil for 40 years with no problems (all colors). I think the "new" silicon stuff is marketing.

I've had bad luck with 'instant gasket' or permatex or silicon type products that claim to be able to replace a gasket. Even with OCD clean surfaces they've still let me down by leaking.

Not including HG or Exhaust manifold gasket, I always choose to use paper/card/cork gaskets with a thin skim of Hylomar on both sides. wether it's down to luck or technique, I've never had a leak from a Gasket I've cut from my own stack of gasket paper and then skinned with hylomar.

YMMV & YRMV

Originally Posted by Olas
I've had bad luck with 'instant gasket' or permatex or silicon type products that claim to be able to replace a gasket. Even with OCD clean surfaces they've still let me down by leaking.

Not including HG or Exhaust manifold gasket, I always choose to use paper/card/cork gaskets with a thin skim of Hylomar on both sides. wether it's down to luck or technique, I've never had a leak from a Gasket I've cut from my own stack of gasket paper and then skinned with hylomar.

YMMV & YRMV

Hylomar has a full range of products much as Permatex. Which product are you talking about? Your comments on " Permatex or silicone" make no sense at all. Permatex is a brand name with a wide range of products. Silicone is a component of just a few of them.

Last edited:
Starting with my 2010 GMC and carried on with my 2017/2018 GM/AAM's … I just reuse the factory gasket and no goo … No leaks.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Starting with my 2010 GMC and carried on with my 2017/2018 GM/AAM's … I just reuse the factory gasket and no goo … No leaks.

There is no reusable gasket on his 03 differential just a paper Felpro so your suggestion won't do him any good.

Last edited:
I did think about getting a new diff cover with a drain bolt and the embedded rubber O ring but decided against it because I need to open it to keep and eye on the clips and because if the O ring were to tear with my luck the company would be out of business or not make a replacement ring. I am liking the idea of the gasket without dressing so I dont have to scrap anything off and the extra $7 would be a small price to pay to not have to wait 24 hr to refill the Diff. I will see how it goes but if I dont see any leaks I will probably stay with the gasket.

On my F350, I installed a G2 brand aluminum cover that came with a magnetic drain plug.
I installed it with a reusable "Lubelocker" gasket.
So far a year with no leaks. I use this truck for towing a camper, so I like to be able to do regular gear oil changes.
I have used grey Permatex on diff covers in the past with no issues.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

That's a HUGE load of BS! In my 35+ years of changing differential fluid with a dropped cover, then going back with a gasket, I have NEVER had a leak! You, Sir, are obviously doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back