Different Wt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav

Hi Guys,
I have a 1999 V6 Toyota Camry. I've got 5 qts of Q Horsepower 5W20 oil. My manual recommends 5W30. Can I use the 5W20 in it's place safely?
Thanks

Thanks! I was thinking I would have to give the oil away. I was planning on running it for 6K miles. I hope the oil will hold up till then.

You might see your engine run smoother, accelerate better and fuel economy improve by about 2-3%, then you might consider running xW20 instead of xW30.

In the mean times, check your oil level at least once a month to make sure no oil consumption, it it does then top off as needed.

I'm finding that the 5W20 oil is working better for me than the 5W30 was, in my back spec'd Ford. Consumption went down slightly, not sure about any mpg gains just yet.

AD

Great! I generally check oil levels every week. I was more worried that the thinner wt would start leaking all around.

If you have leaks it is possible it could leak more because of the slightly lower viscosity. In a sound leak free engine, no problem.

AD

I have a very slow leak from the Valve cover. Cannot be noticed on the dipstick

I've found that 5W30 runs smoother and quieter with no change in mileage compared to 5W20 in my 5.4L F150.

Don't be surprised if your valvetrain is a little louder on a hot summer day on the 20.

Buy a gallon of a 15w40 OR 5w40 HDEO like Rotella - use two quarts of the HDEO with the rest your 5W20 - will get an approximate 5W30 and have enough leftover (likely) for a second change of the same.

^^ What he said!

grin2.gif

You can definitely use it. If if were me, I'd wait until next Fall though and use a 5W-30 or 10W-30 for summer...

Last edited:
I guess. I'll do that. I already 10 qts of maxlife to spend the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back