Difference in B & S spark plugs 491055 and 491055S

Status
Not open for further replies.
My B&S engine manual specifies the 491055 replacement plug. The B&S site recommends the 491055S, but I can't seem to find anywhere what the difference is. What the heck does the "S" mean? Thanks.

You may have to contact Briggs to get an answer.

Maybe it was just a change in parts numbers by Briggs. This site suggests that the "S" version replaces the other one:

Edit, "[censored]" (B&S)was censored out of my link, but the site states: 491055 BRIGGS AND STRATTON ENGINE PART 491055
REPLACED BY: 491055S PLUG-SPARK wt=0.11

Here's another link that says the same thing: http://www.mowpart.com/p305869/Plug-Spark/product_info.html

Both numbers have the same Champion interchange.

Last edited:
I dont think the "s" means anything, its simply a superseded # as doitmyself is stating, briggs doesnt use the same num and add a letter to note a part difference, champion for example offers a j19lm plug and a rj19lm plug, the r notes resistor but the plug itself "size" is exactly the same

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks. Yes, I noticed that the cross-reference for the Champion plug was the same. I thought the "S" might have stood for 'supressor.' I asked the ? because I saw a site where the 491055, and the 491055S were each specified for different applications. If it was a superceded # it would seem that only the 'S' plug would be specified.

After Hurricane Sandy last year I purchased a B & S 5500W generator. It was actually made in 3/2010. The owners manual specifies B & S spark plug 491055, a resistor plug. The generator came with a Champion RC12YC plug.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
RF Overlord, I have never been a fan of Champion ... so your post is not surprising.

Would anyone consider an E3 Spark plug for this (or any other) application?

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

Champion plugs in automotive engines other than Chrysler/Jeep products have not worked well for me for over 40 years. For small equipment engines I've had no problems with Champion plugs. My Ryobi string trimmer came with a Champion RCJ6Y spark plug. It still runs great even after many years and lots of bad fuel issues. My Briggs & Stratton portable generator uses a Champion RC12YC and runs great. I was going to do spark plug change on my Ryobi string trimmer and could not find the Champion at that time but only a China made plug for almost $6 at Home Depot. I checked my factory Champion plug and the porcelain was a clean light brown/grey and the gap was still the factory .025 in. gap. I kept it and it runs great. This is just my experience with Champion plugs. The Champion plugs I use are made in the US.

The E-3 plugs remind me of the Bosch multi ground plugs that seem to be derided on this site and else where. I think they are made in China, not sure though. Will check and get back with the answer. We sell them at Lowe's where I work.

Whimsey

Briggs & Stratton have a stupid archaic parts list for spark plugs. There is no reason for them to have 20 different part numbers for spark plugs.

I use a Champion RJ19LM (flat head) or Champion RC12YC (OHV) plug in almost ALL Briggs & Stratton engines and have done so for years. These plugs are made in the USA and are of good quality. I usually prefer NGK plugs in everything else, but in small engines I use Champion RJ19LM or Champion RC12YC plugs.

Also, sometime around 2009 or 2010, Briggs had a bad batch of spark plugs that were fouling out. If you kept replacing the plug with the same factory plug, it would continue to foul out. They updated some parts numbers. You can upgrade from the fouling problem by running the normal Champion plugs I have listed above.

I was at Home Despot today and I stopped to look and see if they had the plug for my B&S engine. They did. It's Number E3.20

The price was the same as Amazon.com, so why not just pick one up while I was there and they were in stock?

For some reason, I decided to give them a detailed visual inspection, especially the electrode. Something about it didn't look very precise.

Further inspection showed that the electrode was off-center on most of the plugs I examined (about a dozen, total) consistently enough that I thought it might be a "feature" but I did occasionally find one that appeared to be properly centered ... whatever that means on such a strange design.

I was pretty shocked that something that needs to be so precise, and supposedly uses state-of the-art technology, seems to have been assembled so carelessly.

Very off-putting.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
I was at Home Despot today and I stopped to look and see if they had the plug for my B&S engine. They did. It's Number E3.20

That's because that is a junk, made in China, E3 Plug. Get on over to Wal-Mart. They sell the made in USA Champion RC12YC that you need for like .97, and it is high quality. I've used a ton of them in the last 2-3 years and they all have ran perfect with no complaints.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Here's a link to the Champion spark plug factory.

No. A very large majority of Champion spark plugs are made in Burlington Iowa. The ceramic portion is made else where but the machining and assembly is done in Iowa.

Last edited:
"S" at the end of the part number will sometimes denote anti-seize has been factory applied. NGK in particular does this and they advise not to add any more.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Here's a link to the Champion spark plug factory.

That is not the Champion factory. I saw those pictures posted elsewhere, they said it was the "torch" brand spark plug factory. They are the junk plugs that come in alot of the chonda engines, they usually go in the trash after a couple runs anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back