Difference btwn Shell Full synthetic and Rotella-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any? I can get a 6-pack of the gray bottles of Full Synthetic for 24.49 at the price club near me. I know the Rotella is 5w-40, and the Full Synthetic is either 5w-30,10w-30 or 10w40.

Is one supposed to be better than the other?

Originally Posted By: montero1
Is there any? I can get a 6-pack of the gray bottles of Full Synthetic for 24.49 at the price club near me. I know the Rotella is 5w-40, and the Full Synthetic is either 5w-30,10w-30 or 10w40.

Is one supposed to be better than the other?

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, they serve different purposes.

Shell Rotella T 5W-40 is made from hydroisomerized slack wax, and is Group III+. It is completely pure, and can be considered a true synthetic because it has undergone a complete molecular restructuring. As far as I know the Formula Shell synthetic is just a standard old severely hydrocracked petroleum Group III base.

I was looking at grabbing some Formula Shell syn at BJs. But it didn't really meet any specs outside the SM rating. This disappoints me as I think Shell considers North America to be its toss-off market whose customer base is better appealed to by names such as Pennzoil and Quaker State. So they deny us true Shell Helix and offer a second tier syn that is probably okay, but not good enough to forgo PP for about the same price. Why do they bother?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Shell Rotella T 5W-40 is made from hydroisomerized slack wax, and is Group III+. It is completely pure, and can be considered a true synthetic because it has undergone a complete molecular restructuring. As far as I know the Formula Shell synthetic is just a standard old severely hydrocracked petroleum Group III base.

If Rotella is GrIII+ then is PP also?

FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL
Meets API Service Categories SM, SL, SJ, Energy Conserving ILSAC GF-4 specification.
Has enhanced wear protection and outstanding resistance to thermal breakdown at operating temperatures.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
FormulaShell® FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL is a motor oil formulated for improved fuel economy and to provide the engine protection and performance required by engine manufacturers. FormulaShell® FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR is compatible with other conventional and synthetic oils. It exceeds all automobile and light truck warranty requirements for gasoline and turbocharged engines where an API SM and ILSAC GF-4 oil is recommended.

This oil can be used in place of API SL, or SJ rated oils. Always follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for the right viscosity grade and API Service Category.

FEATURES
FormulaShell® FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL meets or exceeds:
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SM, SL, SJ or CF oils are specified
• ILSAC GF-4 Energy Conserving standards
• General Motors GM6094M specification
• Chrysler MS 6395N specification
• Ford WSS-M2C930-A (5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30) specifications
BENEFITS
Compared to conventional oils, the results are:
• Excellent lubrication at extremely low temperatures
• Extra protection at extremely high temperatures
• Lower oil consumption under high speed conditions
• Extra protection against harmful deposits and acids, which aids in a clean running and lasting engine
• May be used at any time in an engines life-cycle and is fully compatible with conventional engine oils
http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/FormulaShellFullSynthetic.pdf

http://www.equivashellmsds.com/Display_MSDS.asp?ID=198412

http://www.equivashellmsds.com/Display_MSDS.asp?ID=198402

"Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon and synthetic ester oils and additives"

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

If Rotella is GrIII+ then is PP also?

I don't think so. As far as I know Shell only has one XHVI base stock, and its CAS number does not appear on any of the PP MSDS's.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
The MSDS for most grades PP I cannot find. I did find 0W-20 and it's base is listed as the same as Shell Formula Synthetic 64742-55-8

IOW, its NOT the same XHVI as RTS.

The Shell Full Syn seems like a decent oil, but its spec's aren't all that spectacular. They don't meet the GM4718 and the seem to be in line with SOPUS' seeming marketing of Shell oil as the cheapy line of the bunch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back