Difference between Edge with syntec and Edge w/ Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the difference between the new edge with syntec and edge with titanium? did they just relabel the old syntec? saw them at my local WM and was a little confused on the difference.

so after doing a bit of searching, what i got was that the edge with syntec basically took the place of the old syntec and the edge with titanium is the newly reformulated edge, is this correct?

I just changed the oil in my 2008 BMW 535xi with Edge Ti. Now I am founding out that may be the wrong oil. Do i need to replace it or can I run it for 5000?

How could it be the wrong oil? Wrong weight or does it not meet the specifications?

Originally Posted By: jimbod
I just changed the oil in my 2008 BMW 535xi with Edge Ti. Now I am founding out that may be the wrong oil. Do i need to replace it or can I run it for 5000?

Wrong it what way? It is running badly in your engine? I want to know because I was thinking about trying it.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I think edge with syntec is basically syntec. and edge with titanium is basically edge..
Who's on 1st

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: jimbod

Wrong it what way? It is running badly in your engine? I want to know because I was thinking about trying it.

jimbod's BMW 535xi requires a BMW LL-01 approved oil. Edge 5w-30 doesn't meet that spec. It wasn't intended to. Don't let that worry you; it doesn't mean Edge 5w-30 is an inferior oil. It's just aimed at different applications with different requirements.

If Edge 5w-30 meets the specs for your engine, go ahead and use it. It's an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
Originally Posted By: moto94536
I think edge with syntec is basically syntec. and edge with titanium is basically edge..
Who's on 1st

That's what I'm asking you, who's on first?

(OT, Syntec= Edge w/Syntec, Edge= Edge W/titanium. I love Castrol oils, but I dunno why they would change that, seems dumb to me)

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I've given up trying to understand Castrol marketing...

Anything to confuse the customer was a 'bad' marketing move. Castrol wasn't thinking with their dipstick.

Last year:
Black bottle=Syntec
Gold bottle = Edge

This year:
Black bottle=reformulated as Edge w/Syntec Power Technology
Gold bottle =Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology

Regardless:
Black bottle = expensive
Gold bottle = more expensive

I think you could sum it up in one word:

Shifty.

They could tell me that the sky is blue, and water is wet, and I would still wonder how they were trying to scam me.

At least Syntec isnt $25 anymore. Still to EXPENSIVE!!! Dont understand how they can charge that much for it. Since its nothing special. Doesnt got much over M1 for the same money. Sort of like Synpower.... $25 and no moly? What are they smoking?

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
$25 and no moly? What are they smoking?

Not defending Syntec, but this is like saying a suit isn't worth buying unless it's tan colored. Moly ain't exactly the alpha and omega of engine lubrication.

Doesnt got much over M1 for the same money. Sort of like Synpower.... $25 and no moly? What are they smoking?

Some of the so called best Boutique Oils have little or no moly and sell for close to $10 a qt. They hold up well and are highly respected here.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
$25 and no moly? What are they smoking?

Not defending Syntec, but this is like saying a suit isn't worth buying unless it's tan colored. Moly ain't exactly the alpha and omega of engine lubrication.

Ti which is an apparent cheaper substitute for organic Moly is used by COP as well. COP recently took the contract away from Idemitsu to make the Honda brand 0W-20. The Idemitsu formulation contained over 1000 ppm of moly. If the COP Honda oil uses Ti instead of moly then in my mind that a clear indication that it's as good; if not, it's a clear indication it's not as good.
A couple of members have said they're going to run a VOA to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back