Difference Between Drivers Side and Passenger Side Caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to AZ to buy a new driver side caliper today.
No reason to think there was any issue and everything installed fine, until I went to set the brake pads and noticed the driver side caliper installed differently than the passenger side. One side I had to install the top first and push in the bottom and the other side I had to install in the top first and then push in the bottom.
That got me thinking to compare.
The bleeder screw is on the top on the passenger side, but on the bottom of the drivers side.
My original driver side has the bleeder on the top as well.
The part number on the box matches the correct image that matches my original caliper, but is different than the one that was in the box.
Seems like someone did me the favor of returning a passenger side caliper in a drivers side box, which would explain all the grease on the box itself when I picked it up.
Shame on me for not checking before installing.
I imagine the bleeder should be on the top. Does that sound right?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AutoZone Driver Side Caliper

I figured as much. Lesson learned I guess...always check before installing. The differences are very subtle, but important.

Very important that the bleeder is on the top.

My brother and I reinstalled the front axle in his Jeep after a rebuild and could not for the life of us get the brakes to gain pressure whatsoever until we realized the calipers were swapped.

Think of the bleeder screw as an air vent as well. You bleed fluid and air out of them on occasion.

I found out the hard way installed one with the bleeder on the bottom worked almost an hour trying to bleed the system neighbor stops by and looks at it and say's the bleeder should be on top. Thanks, parts store.

In a pinch, you could always bleed the caliper off the bracket with the bleeder pointed up, then install into the bracket.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
In a pinch, you could always bleed the caliper off the bracket with the bleeder pointed up, then install into the bracket.

That would work. Just have to make sure something is between the pads to keep the pistons from compressing.

The problem I always have is the parts store bleeders are always so tight. More than once I have snapped the bleeder off trying to bleed the brakes. Now I always make sure I have a wrench with me at the store and loosen up the bleeder before I start.

Originally Posted by Miller88
The problem I always have is the parts store bleeders are always so tight. More than once I have snapped the bleeder off trying to bleed the brakes. Now I always make sure I have a wrench with me at the store and loosen up the bleeder before I start.

I have bleeder screw wrenches which are basically really long 6 point wrenches in the common bleeder sizes. You can also use a 6 point socket and a long 1/4" ratchet.

The calipers on my car dolly has bleeders on the top and bottom so they are interchangeable left and right. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do that if they are otherwise interchangeable, they would cut in half the part numbers for that application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by another Todd
The calipers on my car dolly has bleeders on the top and bottom so they are interchangeable left and right. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do that if they are otherwise interchangeable, they would cut in half the part numbers for that application.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back