Diesel or gas engine oil?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can tell, new here but I'm in need of some schooling. I've been reading that it would be better for an inboard boat engine to go with a diesel motor oil because of sheering, additives, etc. etc. Is that true in anyones opinon? I'm the typical boater that runs during the summer, changes the oil prior to winter storage and then the boat sets up in dry storage for 6 months. Would a diesel oil be better for the long winter dry docks or still stick with a gas engine oil, like I'm doing now??? What do ya'll think????
cheers.gif

[ May 22, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

I use Delo sae 30 in my 5.0 liter ford v-8. It is very high on the 30w scale at 12.5. Some here have used 15w-40, but i like to use a straight weight in a boat. i feel they hold up better because of the extreme abuse the engines go thru.

Talked with a tech the other day. His (older) boat has twin engines--about 1300 hours on one, 1800 on the other. AMSOIL 15W-40 for years now, and everything doing well. Another similar boat in the marina has about 700 hours, using non-synthetic, and currently being repowered.

Maybe using good oil isn't a waste of money.

I use Amsoil synthetic 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Oil in my Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi motor. I use it because it is one hell of a tough oil and because it have terrific anti-corrosion properties.

Yeah, but we know us mechanics take a lot better care of our engines.
wink.gif
I'm driving the econo-version, 3.0LX, cruising about 2800 rpm. I did manage to take it out this weekend. This was the first weekend I ran it with a Pennzoil straight 30 weight. Last year I used the Vavoline Racing 20W-50 and oil pressure shot up real high. The 30 wt, surprize, stayed about the same at all rpm's, between 40 and 50. When I ran mult-visc, it would drop to around 20 and go up as high as 60, which is the absolute limit, according to the manual, for this boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back