Diesel oil shortage on Walmart shelves in New Mexico. Is Walmart wanting to emerge from the pandemic and only sell or promote their house brand now.

There is no name brand diesel oils on the shelf and we’re going into 2022. My Duramax had always used delvac and Delo conventional. I might have to use Supertech or pay the ridiculous prices at the parts store.

Walmart = empty shelves

This is especially true around Christmas, when shoppers strip the store bare. It is not specific to HDEO. No, Walmart doesn't have a secret evil agenda—they simply can't keep up. Go shop somewhere else, even online, or wait for a month for the Walmart stock to replenish after the holidays.

Have you tried to do an online purchase of this oil from WM? I'm curious if the mail order department is also out, or you could get some shipped from another store or warehouse.

Most home depots sell castrol gtx diesel for 10.97 which makes it the cheapest jug in my area since WM upped st diesel to $11 but pricing is about the same across the us.

I don't know if HD ships to homes directly but you can pick up after checking online for quantity in your local store or request delivery to your home for a fee. My neatest has 2 jugs in stock and i can request more to have delivered from the store to my house but i wouldn't really pay the fee. I'd rather they let me just pick up and leave.

Last edited:
Have you tried to do an online purchase of this oil from WM? I'm curious if the mail order department is also out, or you could get some shipped from another store or warehouse.
No, online purchases don't work for most items at Walmart, as they are typically either "pick up from store" or "(courier) delivery (from store) to home," with no "(warehouse) shipping" option. Therefore, typically, if an item isn't stocked at a local Walmart store, it doesn't work.

Check your Sam's Club if you are near one. My local Sam's Club shows Delvac 1300 available. It appears to be about the only oil available at this Sam's. YMMV...good luck.
I do have confidence in a 5000 oci using gas Supertech synthetic made by Warren. The lab report came back solid. Used in 16 Yukon 5.3 w DI and AFM and they said it could at least go to at least 7000. I forgot to mention all the name brand oils including rotella are out

I do have confidence in a 5000 oci using gas Supertech synthetic made by Warren. The lab report came back solid. Used in 16 Yukon 5.3 w DI and AFM and they said it could at least go to at least 7000. I forgot to mention all the name brand oils including rotella are out
Yes, any API-approved store-brand oil would have to use a third-party preapproved CK-4 add pack from Lubrizol, Afton, Vanderbilt, etc., and they are as good as if not better than the propriety in-house add packs used by major brands such as Mobil and Shell. The base oil will also have a similar quality. Therefore, there is really no quality difference between any store-brand oil and major-brand oils, as long as they carry the API CK-4 approval and not fake it.

We live in the country and I can drive 35 miles to a WaMart in an 80k pop town.... the oil shelves are darn near empty..... Only SuperTech in abundance.

On the other hand, I can drive 30 miles the opposite direction... to a "Country" located WalMart and the shelves are LOADED with name-brand oils.

I think it all depends upon where you live....

We have Motorcraft 10W30 diesel oil in bulk and 1 and 5qt bottles. I haven't been able to get any in bottles in a month, except for pulling a string from our bulk supplier. They have been alternating between filling our bulk tank between Motorcraft and Total that meets the Ford spec. We keep the Motorcraft 15W40 in 1 and 5 quart bottles, and both have been unavailable for a month or more. I have plenty of the 5W40, but the Motorcraft is so expensive compared to Rotella, that hardly anyone buys it.

Around here all the HDEOs are on short supply at Walmart. I don't understand why a conspiracy like "....Is Walmart wanting to emerge from the pandemic and only sell or promote their house brand now..." is the go to reaction.

Around here all the HDEOs are on short supply at Walmart. I don't understand why a conspiracy like "....Is Walmart wanting to emerge from the pandemic and only sell or promote their house brand now..." is the go to reaction.
Yeah your probably right maybe a coincidence but their house brand is always plentiful

There is no name brand diesel oils on the shelf and we’re going into 2022. My Duramax had always used delvac and Delo conventional. I might have to use Supertech or pay the ridiculous prices at the parts store.
Walmart can’t sell what they can‘t get. As far as Supertech being on the shelves, like any other product the name brand marketed goods are going to sell out first. Around me not even the parts stores have diesel oil on the shelves. Nothing at the farm stores, wholesale clubs or Amazon either. There is a significant shortage going on.

Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella, Vavoline Premium Blue, Motorcraft Diesel and Supertech are all available at local Walmarts and various auto parts where I live in So Cal.

The only shortage I've come across at Walmart is the Mobil 1 High Mileage/Extended Performance 5W 30. This has been going on for years though. It's always hit and miss for the gas engine Mobil 1 oils because dealerships and oil change shops come into the Walmarts right when they stock the shelves and fill up shopping carts with the oil.

Most home depots sell castrol gtx diesel for 10.97 which makes it the cheapest jug in my area since WM upped st diesel to $11 but pricing is about the same across the us.

I don't know if HD ships to homes directly but you can pick up after checking online for quantity in your local store or request delivery to your home for a fee. My neatest has 2 jugs in stock and i can request more to have delivered from the store to my house but i wouldn't really pay the fee. I'd rather they let me just pick up and leave.
I bought Rotella T6 for the tractor at Home Depot and I really do not care for Home Depot.

Back