Diesel oil for all OPE

I was wondering if I could get away with a 'one size fits all' diesel oil for all my OPE. I have the following engines:

LCT 306cc on an Ariens snowblower (manual lists 5W30 or 10W30)
Briggs & Stratton 550EX on a mower (manual lists SAE30, 5W30, or 10W30
Ironton (Honda clone) on a rototiller (manual lists SAE 30 or 10W30)
Yanmar L70 diesel in a generator (manual lists 10W30, 20W40, and 20/30/40 straight grades)

The snowblower is obviously only operated in cold weather, the mower and rototiller in ~50F and up weather, and the generator sees about 10F at the coldest time of year up to around 95F in mid summer. I've been using 5W30 in the mower and snowblower, SAE30 in the rototiller, and 15W40 (Rotella) in the generator. The generator has electric start with an electric intake grid heater for cold weather starting. It starts with 15W40 in the winter although it can take several seconds of cranking before it starts to build speed.

Should I keep the various oils I've been using or is there a blend of Rotella (10W30?) that I could get away with running everything? Yanmar lists 10W30 as specified only up to 85F for the L70.

I'd run Rotella T5 10W-30 in all the gas engines and probably Rotella T6 5W-40 in the generator for peace of mind during hot weather and slightly better cold cranking vs 15W-40

If you absolutely do not want to keep two different oils on hand you could run everything on T6 5W-40 and never know the difference vs 5W-30/SAE30

I know it isn’t mentioned, but M1 0w40 would work here.

Not a fan of a 10w30 in the snowblower. If you don’t want 0w40 for everything, find a 5w30 or 0w40 for that and stick with a 10w30 HDEO for everything else.

I was wondering if I could get away with a 'one size fits all' diesel oil for all my OPE. I have the following engines:
The HTHS of straight 30 (often required in older OPE) is generally said to be 3.8. If your choice of oil falls short of that, and many 5W-10W-30's do, you are not providing the protection the engine called for.

However, many modern OPE engines call for 10W-30, and sometimes require synthetic.

The suggestion above for a robust, synthetic, 5W-40 diesel oil is a good one. I regularly use Mobil 1 TDT, 5W-40 in my OPE. It should come as no surprise the HTHS is 3.8, the same as straight 30.

A 10 and 15w-40 is typically in the mid 14-15 cst range while a 0 and 5w are usually closer to the bottom but universal or fleet oils are typically a 30.

For all of your engines i'd honestly recommend Quaker state euro 5w-40 at Walmart. It's a thin 40 so it should be compatible with all your equipment and although it's a gas oil it's pretty good and I'd argue it's better than some dual rated diesels. Pretty sure that diesel engine didn't specify some specific diesel grade. These small engines typically live longer from more frequent oil changes and I doubt the few hundred plus ppm of anti wear additives in a diesel oil will make that engine live longer than if you were to just remove the unfiltered contaminants more often.

Landscaper in the neighborhood uses 5w-40 T6 in everything 4 stroke, trucks (gas and diesel), Hondas, Yamahas, and whatever engines in his big zero turns.

I run T6 or TDT 5w40 in all OPE and a Kubota tractor. I don't have a snowblower, but if I did it would get the same.

15w40 dino if cost is a consideration. That weight of oil will suffice for all your equipment, provided your snow blower stays in a heated area. Your small engines will run just fine with 15w40. I have used diesel dino oil for years in all kinds of small engines. Works great.
For a syn, well there are all kinds of choices. I like M1 TDT and Mobil1 oils in general. Rotella T6 and Delo are up there too. Buy a syn diesel oil in 5w40 and you will be covered. Summer, winter, extended oil change, yearly oil change. Buy a couple gallons and you are set.
I repair and sell commercial mowers. The common link to longevity is check your oil before you start the engine. If it is low add some even if just a smidge. Keep your air filter clean and remove any debris from the cooling fins. Dino or syn whatever you use just make sure you have oil in the crankcase. Keep your eyes open and you will hear about good deals on this site.

Rotella T4 15W-40/T5 10W-30 or a Euro 5W-30 like Edge Euro formula or PP dexos2 in all my 4-stoke OPE.

if you’re all Honda, any xxW-30 works.

Back