Diesel Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTC

Does anyone have any information about the cetane rating of diesel sold at Wal-Mart stores? It is refined by Murphy Oil. I am unable to get a reply out of Wal-Mart or the Murphy refinery in Louisiana.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jelly. I am guessing that also but would like to be sure.

I haven't used any other diesel in this truck since I bought it. At times, the mileage drops, one of two miles to the gallon, even if my driving habits are the same.

If you are a diesel driver, what do you think about their fuel? Good, bad or what? Do they use additives,or is it just a low grade diesel?

I am in Houston, Texas, so I shouldn't be getting any winter fuel, I don't think. I am trying to figure out why my mileage varies so munch.

You're in Houston right?? Isn't their a Flying J out on 45? Maybe you could consider there?

I really haven't done enough research or seen any other stuff that shows me one station has better fuel than the next, but living out in the middle of nowhere, the cheapest diesel around is Wal-Mart, and dad's never had a problem filling up at there with his Dodge/CTD.

Whenever possible though, I'd choose to fill up at a nice truck stop (and man, have I seen some bad truckstops!).

I've never had a problem with fuel filling up at a station such as FlyingJ, Petro, or Loves, so that's what I'd recommend to you, based on my experience, not science.

quote:

Originally posted by WTC:
I am in Houston, Texas, so I shouldn't be getting any winter fuel, I don't think. I am trying to figure out why my mileage varies so munch.

Are you using an fuel additive? If not I would.

Also check the pumps out, do they look dirty and nasty, is there black crud or brown crud around the handles, etc. is the fuel itself clean????

Robbie,

I've been around diesel all along, and I've never ran fuel additives unless I ran into a few situations:

super-cold weather where I was on straight #2 and didn't want any problems.
Where I got into a bad batch of fuel.

Otherwise, I see little use unless you have a problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Robbie,

I've been around diesel all along, and I've never ran fuel additives unless I ran into a few situations:
*-*/*-/-*-*-, I see little use unless you have a problem.

You need to check the new EPA regs and the fuel already in certain segemnts of the market... They are changing and there will and is not going to be any or proper lubrication.
I have posted here and there in the other forums about the diesel oil. You don't have to believe me. But all users of feul need an additive... there is very very little fuel on the market that will protect properly.

Rob,

If that were true, engines in Europe would be blowing up left and right.

Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs though...

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Rob,

If that were true, engines in Europe would be blowing up left and right.

Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs though...

It is true, and I'm not going to fight over it Jelly. Why don't you do a little research on the matter?

Diesel fuel must be at least 40 cetane to meet ASTM spec. Your engine probably runs best with 45-47 cetane fuel.

It is likely that the specific gravity of the fuel you're buying is varying somewhat. Energy content of the fuel is very closely related to the specific gravity (or API gravity...same thing on a different scale). No additive will improve the energy content of the fuel, but an additive that improves combustion and raises cetane will lower the consumption of all fuel.

You can try an additive package that contains lubricity additive and a cetane booster, and see if it pays off for you. Contact Tim Mills and try some Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000.

Ken

Or you could by a diesel fuel w/ an additive ALREADY IN IT. The Meijer gas stations in SW Michigan (and I suspect ALL Meijer gas stations) sell diesel fuel with Schaeffers diesel additive already in it! That's right, Schaeffers. I just wish they'd retail the additives and oils in the stores...

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Part of the problem is that the Flying J and the other regular truck stops aren't near enough to justify the drive. The Wal-Mart is just around the corner. I haven't had a problem with their diesel, water, debris, etc., just the difference in the mileage from tank to tank. I thought maybe their cetane rating was minimal, or it varied from load to load, and this affected the truck's mileage.

I do use Lucas as a lubricating additive. Maybe I need to use a cetane booster also.

Thanks again,

WTC

I have been trying different fuels out here in Southern California. I started noticibg my Duramax getting louder. It seemed louder that other trucks. I was using Chevron Diesel. I switched to Mobile, and it quieted down a bunch. I now use Unocal 76. This seems to run real well. This is why I posted a question about additives earlier. I am thinking about buying some in case I get a poor tank of fuel.

Are there sample test kits available for diesel fuel, similar to motor oil test kits? I know I wouldn't mind testing the quality of the fuel I'm buying.

I read somewhere on a diesel related forum where a former bulk fuel delivery driver stated that it was common for him to mix 10% kerosine in with the diesel fuel delivered to a certain station. Kerosine was less expensive, so the station could strech it's profit margin.

It would also be interesting to know how much additive is actually in the fuel from the places that advertise it. A local station advertises Power Service on the pumps, but it is said they only add one bottle per 8,000 gallon load.

Most people do not give much thought about the quality of their fuel. This is however, usually one of the biggest expenses and a place to give better performance.

Stations or Companies place an order for #2 for example and ASSUME they get the same thing or the same QUALITY on EVERY drop... NOPE nope nope I tell you, this ain't so. The truth is that the quality does vary and can vary significantly, depending on the crude and refining conditions.

Diesel can be a blend of several components: Yes KEROSENE is one of the, and a number of other products as well.

Althought I think the quality of the refining is to be left out of the formula.... it's more to do with transportation, and housekeeping, than anything.
Now with the EPA and soon or later the rest of the world, Cal. and parts of Tex. like Houston (some areas) and a few areas around the country have the new FUEL. This fuel is PRONE to absorb water, and this mix is not easily seen as before... anyhow, everyone needs to get use to an additive for FUEL, because the EPA's regs have caused the refinery to convert thr crude in a different way, and this result not only causes more water problems, thus more Microbe problems, but the refining method causes there not to be enough upper Cyl. lube to be present
(more was there before the EPA regs - although not quite enough -however things have changed)
This will wear rapidly things like injectors, and such, anyhow, unless you know you are buying the old stuff and have better protection, you should be adding a treatment.

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
Are there sample test kits available for diesel fuel, -*-*
A: I'm sure there are. I would not worry about it unless you HAVE a problem, but hey go for it...

I read somewhere on a diesel related forum where a former bulk fuel delivery driver stated that it was common for him to mix 10% kerosine in with the diesel fuel delivered to a certain station. Kerosine was less expensive, so the station could strech it's profit margin.

A:Look above, it can and does contain it...
It must only meet certain spec's, and to otherwise is fraud, and these billion dollar oil companies are not going to try to rip anyone off like that IMO, they will just pass it off to the customer... it's the JOBBERS that sell to the stations that add additives or anything else to change the fuel...
ONLY about 15-18% of the fuel is treated, and only a very very very small % of these is treated properly, most treatments don't do anything for the fuel per se....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back