Diesel Engines - Ways to Reduce EGR & Intake Clogging?

Afternoon all.

I've often wondered if there are any ways that people have heard of that will help reduce the dreaded soot & oil contamination in diesel car intakes.

Premium fuel? Fuel Additives? Special oil type? Driving a specific way? Etc.

For example, on petrol cars there is an oil type specifically to stop LSPI that was common on earlier direct injection petrols.

Would an oil that gives off the lowest evaporative losses mean less oil makes it into the intake meaning the carbon doesn't cake up so badly? 🤔

Does a better fuel mean less soot that goes through the EGR?

Any ideas would be interesting to hear, and any links people know of that they've read about this common issue is very welcome. I think it's an interesting topic that is not talked about as much ae LSPI.

Cheers! 😃

The three main options I see are low pressure EGR (EGR pulled from behind the DPF), eliminating EGR through internal EGR with variable valve timing (not common on production diesel engines), and eliminating EGR and using more DEF with multiple SCRs/larger SCRs.

Afternoon all.

I've often wondered if there are any ways that people have heard of that will help reduce the dreaded soot & oil contamination in diesel car intakes.

Premium fuel? Fuel Additives? Special oil type? Driving a specific way? Etc.

For example, on petrol cars there is an oil type specifically to stop LSPI that was common on earlier direct injection petrols.

Would an oil that gives off the lowest evaporative losses mean less oil makes it into the intake meaning the carbon doesn't cake up so badly? 🤔

Does a better fuel mean less soot that goes through the EGR?

Any ideas would be interesting to hear, and any links people know of that they've read about this common issue is very welcome. I think it's an interesting topic that is not talked about as much ae LSPI.

Cheers! 😃
High cetane and clean injectors but there will always be soot with diesels due to incomplete combustion. There's always some blow-by pushing soot into the oil.

Last edited:
Back