diesel engine!!

Make sure a diesel fits your use case--modern diesels are not made for stop and go driving, they are made for the open road. The emission systems on a modern diesel are vastly different and former gasoline owners may not be prepared to deal with the complexity they present. Diesels cost more to own and operate--make sure to do your homework.

We just got rid of our '17 diesel Range Rover (same engine as the Ford F150 diesel I believe). I loved the car and the diesel, especially for the seasonal boat towing. Almost instant starts, quiet except for a little hum, and the cruising at filter regeneration, fuel gelling (although I know others who have), etc.

The auto stop/start quit after about 9 mos and I didn't care...told the dealer to not fix it.

It originally used a moderate amount of DEF, but after a service visit and software update, the usage markedly increased. I'm guessing the 'update' was a more conservative usage profile to ensure nice, clean exhaust. We didn't have any real issues until about 70K when I noticed the exhaust started to smell like an old diesel and a hesitation problem developed. Dealer addressed the drivability, but the smell remained. I also noticed DEF consumption decreased.

A few months later I am driving and get an "Exhaust fluid quality issue detected...vehicle will not be able to be started in 246 miles...". Back to dealer who has the vehicle for 10 days and 100 miles of test driving. Get it back and it drives fine and smells less. Another month or so and the smell returns.... Not an uncommon problem as I've read.

I'd be careful about buying a used one and do some more research on any specific models.

Current road going diesels have just been over regulated, probably because they are a relatively clean threat to electric Nirvana, but that is an argument for a different time and place...

Last edited:
I owned numerous Diesel engines. Forget them. After 2009 they are all equipped with SCR system, and it doesn’t matter the brand, they can be nightmare. Just diagnosing issue could cost you $$$.
in reality, turbo gas engines came really close to diesels in efficiency with some serious advantages in power too. Torque and towing is still diesel advantage but you are going for regular SUV’s.

good afternoon!

I hope you all are staying safe from Covid. If I was confident before, I am NOT now. my friend, younger than I just died from Covid. shocking. he was very very strong, just retired.

please excuse my DUMB questions. i am willing to learn!!!!

OK- I have for many years thought about getting a diesel vehicle. interesting concept.

I have NEVER owned a truck. for the first time ever, I bought an SUV an Acura RDX. got in august, love it on trips to my daughters house. can carry lots of stuff, quite comfortable.

I never thought of myself as a "truck guy". I just retired and drive 10,000 miles a year, mostly to visit and help my daughter. My Acura says it gets 24 miles a gallon for about 400 gallons of gas a year. I am NOT a billionaire.

near me, premium gas is $2.79 diesel is $2.89

extremely dumb questions: especially from diesel owners who know diesels.

1. i NEVER had a diesel. my garage today was about 45 degrees. outside was about 7 degrees and windy. (Massachusetts) do I need to "plug in" the diesel in my garage?

2. can you recommend a GOOD diesel SUV or SMALL truck? not sure I want a HUGE truck.

i welcome ANY and ALL advice. i like to learn new things. I do NOT change my own oil, have a great honest mechanic nearby. I change oil with Mobil 1 synthetic around every 5,000 miles.

3. is diesel maintenance difficult? i try to really take care of my vehicles. I do ceramic coating myself, etc.

thank you for your time and not laughing at me!! haha.

best regards,

bob
Hi Bob! And welcome. None of your questions seem dumb at all. Hang out here a bit, you will see a few that really are :)

I think you should check out the Chevy Colorado diesel. Great mid-sized pickup in a diesel. You'll find a lot of people here (probably for decent reasons) don't care for diesel rigs. But I think the Colorado could be a very fun, fuel efficient truck that fits what you've described.

Life's too short!

Look at what an oil filter from Napa cost for an F150 with the 3.0 diesel.

My wife drives an ‘19 F150 with the 3.0, the oil filter available from the dealer is about $6.00 (MotorCraft).

We have had diesel powered equipment, boats , tractors, and vehicles forever here and I still don’t get the fear mongering associated with Diesel engines as we just run them and follow the owners manual service advice on maintainenice.

The wife has a 2002F250with the 7.3 Powerstroke and itwas the best Vehicle I ever owned . She hurt her knee in a Horse it hurt to drive a clutch. I bought a new 2018 F350 with the gas engine as the emission psrts cost too much. plus the $9,000.00 cost of the diesel pay back would never happen.

I have a modern Diesel truck with all the emissions. Four years and no problems.

If a gas truck had enough capability, I'd likely have a gas engine because of lower purchase price, and lower maintenance costs.

OK- I have for many years thought about getting a diesel vehicle. interesting concept.

I have NEVER owned a truck. for the first time ever, I bought an SUV an Acura RDX. got in august, love it on trips to my daughters house. can carry lots of stuff, quite comfortable.

So why get a truck? In 2 pages of replies the closest answer is in your original posting, "I have NEVER owned a truck."

You say "diesel vehicle", so the selection is not limited to diesel trucks? Just purchased an RDX in August, so this is to supplement the RDX or replace?

If cost of operation and/or just having something you have never had before is the motive then I suggest looking at hybrids. I have had 2 diesels, 1 Prius hybrid, and (so far) 1 Tesla. And uncounted gasoline vehicles. This year Ford is offering a hybrid F-150, I refuse to look closer out of fear I might buy one. Bought my 2018 first day of 2019, I have no business looking at new trucks.

The 2007 Prius was amazing with lifetime miles divided by gallons (not the fool computer's claim but sum of all gasoline divided by total miles) of over 50. The big disappointment was the ride. It rode like a cheap Yaris. Have driven a RAV4 and observed the same guy tuned that suspension in 2016 as my Prius. So I bought a Subaru Outback whose engine makes diesel-like sounds sometimes. The continuously variable transmission lets the engine rev sometimes, takes some getting used to. The Outback will deliver an honest 30 MPG miles-divided-by-gallons at 70 MPH in the summer but falls harder than any other have experienced below 45°F, to 25-26. Seems to be more than just winter gasoline.

You don't do your own maintenance but one of the things that impressed about the Outback was how everything under the hood was very easy to access. Everything but the spark plugs which is a couple hours of cursing, including removal of the battery.

I never thought of myself as a "truck guy". I just retired and drive 10,000 miles a year, mostly to visit and help my daughter. My Acura says it gets 24 miles a gallon for about 400 gallons of gas a year. I am NOT a billionaire.

near me, premium gas is $2.79 diesel is $2.89

My 2018 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost 4x4 gets 24 MPG on 50+ mile trips. On 87 octane. Stays above 20 in town. Am much happier than I was with 2008 F-250 Powerstroke. Rides better. Hauls dirtbikes. Cost less to own and less to operate.

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this, as I've had 3 diesel vehicles over the years.

Firstly, a diesel is better suited, especially in lighter applications such as passenger cars, to being used regularly for long distances. Such as frequent road trips, or lengthy commutes. For heavier duty applications like a truck, they excel where you require a lot of power for towing or heavy hauling.

Older diesel engines (pre modern emissions) I would say are relatively straightforward, and for a DIYer, I would say not really all that more expensive to maintain. My reference point for that is a 2003 VW Golf TDI with the ALH diesel engine. Maintenance wise, I really didn't have to do much with it, and sure, it required a diesel rated oil which was a bit more expensive than a gas PCMO, but with this engine, I was good with Rotella T6, really not much more expensive.

My next diesel was a 2014 VW Passat TDI, with the Gen 2 common rail engine (CKRA), which, coupled with a manual transmission, was a real unicorn. Only about 7,000 of these (CKRA engine with the 6 speed manual) were built for Canada and USA (only 2 countries this particular car was sold) for the 2012-2014 years. I only had this vehicle for a short time mileage wise, and maintenance for me was limited to oil changes and air filters. Again, nothing too expensive, but this time, I was limited to a VW spec oil, increasing that cost slightly. Other owners I hear have not been so lucky, with a number of issues being experienced related to the SCR system, as well as a poorly designed Bosch high pressure fuel pump that liked to implode, and turbos that seemed to grenade, along with other issues. This vehicle could have ended up being a financial nightmare, but I actually came out ahead on this one, with my Dieselgate buyback giving me more (only by a couple of hundred dollars) than I paid for the car brand new for nearly 3 years of use.

Then there is my 2013 Duramax truck. Used mostly as my tow rig for my fifth wheel, my maintenance has been so far limited to fluid and filter changes, and new tires. Again, nothing more than would be expected for a gasser, though I am now adding a diesel fuel additive as a preventive measure. These trucks use a version of that Bosch HPFP in the Passat I had, and part of the theory of imploding pumps is that the scar rating of North American diesel fuel, particularly diesel in the USA to a greater degree than Canada, is a major contributing factor. This extra cost (and hassle) in theory will reduce that scar rating, hopefully keeping it low enough to prevent pump failure.

My observations on the driving, you will get phenomenal fuel economy in a passenger car application, particularly if it isn't primarily city driving. You will definitely not have a dragster by any stretch if the imagination, but you will find a useable powerband across all RPMs until just before redline.

For the truck, I don't know if I can truly say there is a fuel economy advantage. That thing is a heavy tank. But it is miles better than any gasser at towing a heavy trailer, especially when you will also have mountainous terrain in your routes. For what I need the truck for, a gasser could not adequately take its place. Similar comments about the powerband, though this feels very much like a lumbering beast if driven gently, though WOT could shame some gas powered vehicles off the line (when unloaded that is).

Either way, the diesel experience for driving is very different in feel from a gasser. Your throttle will not respond as quickly, though there are advantages (fuel economy on the cars, and hauling capability on the truck).

I think you need to test drive a few you are considering to see if this is something you're even interested in.

Diesel vehicles are the best sellers in Oz - Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger are only available with diesel engines here, and with our high(er) fuel prices they make sense - but in the USA, where fuel is dirt cheap, nah, I wouldn't bother with a diesel.

With the information you provided I would say you don’t “need” a diesel. However for myself and most people, our wants usually trump needs. As far as starting, you will have no issue starting at 45 degrees. My 11.1 liter Detroit will fire down to 30 fairly easily and down to 15 or so with a 1 second shot of ether. It isn’t new either at 735k miles. The emissions on the newer trucks seem to be kind of hit and miss. You’ll find one guy that has spent thousands to keep his alive and another whose truck hasn’t seen a shop for anything other than maintenance. You will definitely have more maintenance, for example fuel filter care is much more important in a diesel and they usually need to be changed in a fraction of the miles that you can get away with on a gasoline vehicle.

You don't need a diesel, myself on my 4th Benz Diesel. Had a 2011 Mercedes GL350 Bluetec the Urea injection system is a nightmare and it is a system that even dealership has to get corporate help to fix it and once you start shelling out $3500+ per visit it is a no brainier. I love diesel Benz and I went backwards and purchased an 06 E320 CDI with OM648 engine from an older couple who purchased it new, it has no Urea system and is a rocket due to direct injection and turbo gets around 26 in city and almost 36-37 MPG on long road trips. At 67 the car should outlast me unless I get into an accident.

Maybe the OP needs to have his diesel itch scratched. Maybe it's time for something different. Either way, a good diesel experience makes you hopeful that all diesels could be good experiences. Alas, these days with the EPA chocking them off, they are a dying breed.

Of the 14 cars I've owned in 26 years of driving, only 3 have been gassers. You could say it's a life choice.

My OM651 Bluetec just got its emissions recall work done. At 122K miles, it now has another 4yr/48k mile extended factory warranty that covers the entire powertrain and then some. It returns 33 MPGs average per tankful.

My N47 X3d is still a baby, at only 70K miles. It has a custom tune, returns up to 36 MPGs per tank on long road trips and is a blast to drive.

Do we NEED 2 diesel SUVs? No, but we liked them so we got them. I should probably consider at least a mid-size pick-em-up truck at some point, and I'm glad there are still diesel choices available. The Colorado, the Canyon, the Ram EcoDiesel, the Ford F150 3.0L diesel are all going to be researched extensively then test-driven.

Being able to pass by gas stations and get 600+ miles out of a tank of fuel is pretty nice. As is not worrying about fuel shortages due to unforeseen events, both of man and nature. To each his own.

YMMV :)

I have a 1990 corolla diesel 1.8 indirect injectiin rotary fuel pump. I have driven it about 5 k miles since i bought it and have averaged 35 mpg with a mix of urban and highway driving. To each their own.

I hope the OP didn't catch anything from his friend seeing he has never come back to comment on his post.

In a nutshell, Euro emission standard tighten up a lot for diesel recently (in the last 5-10 years) and now basically the light trucks (non 18 wheelers, for example) are going back to gasoline V8 instead to avoid the trouble. I heard a lot of older pre-particulate filter diesel are going up in prices because they are easier to maintain and they are more reliable, no need to regen, no need to worry about plugging up, etc. DEF in theory is simpler but the particulate filter is the real pita.

For an SUV stay away from newer diesels, but older diesels would likely be bad for your lung, a lot of commercial drivers have health problem later on in their lives from what I heard, so since you are retired I'd just stay away from it.

If you want fuel economy just get a hybrid crossover, low boost turbo, etc. I heard Acura's turbo tends to be higher boost so it burn more gas. If you are willing to pay I think the Highlanders have hybrid as well, but it is going to cost you. 10k a year is not much even for 24mpg, stay away from diesel if you are just trying to save money.

2006 3500 crew cab long box Chev LT 6.6L LBZ
2011 2500 SLE XC reg box GMC 6.6L LML (chipped n' deleted)
2018 3500 Chev crew cab reg box High Country 6.6L L5P.

I like the fun factor of 900 lbs of torque.

I had a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. Horrific vehicle by anyone's standards. But it was torquey and it did get mid-30's on the highway before I lifted it and put on 32's and an ARB bull bar.

Jeep most recent.jpg

Then it sent a rod through the block so I parted it out bought a Lexus GX460.

I would be hesistant to buy a modern diesel in anything. The only one I would really consider is an HD Truck and only if I NEEDED and HD truck with a diesel for towing. Driving 10000 miles a year is not enough to justify owning a diesel based on saving gas.

My parents have a 2009 Acura RDX and it is terrible on gas for such a tiny vehicle. They are lucky to get 21-22mpg and have to pay for premium fuel. They are also in MA. The moral of the story is, don't get an RDX for mpgs and saving on gas. There is any number of vehicles you could have bought that would run fine on 87 and get better MPG.

Back