Did I lowball the guy or was I reasonable?

I tried unsuccessfully to buy this 2009 Mazda 5 this morning. To cut to the chase they rejected my final offer of $7100 on the road, saying $7605 was their absolute lowest. This is after their initial quote of slightly over $9k which included such gems as an $899 brake light flasher they had already installed. KY tax is 6% and their price included $57 in registration (which is real) and a $299 doc fee (which seems way too much for a cash transaction.) The price keeps changing on the website but it was $6723 when I left home this morning.

Here’s the car in question: https://jeffwylerflorencehonda.com/used/Mazda/2009-Mazda-Mazda5-6c241a590a0e0a9a4819f87b04e4fd88.htm

Is my $7100 offer unreasonable? The car is very clean and appears mechanically solid but it is 14 years old. I’m current,y debating trying again with this one or trying my luck with a nice looking similarly priced 2012 with 30k more miles at a different dealer. This was an interesting experience in that it’s the first time the sales guy offered a number (the $7100) with the “Will you buy at this price if I can get it for you?” line and then came back with a no. Every other time they have offered a number for me to initial they’ve always accepted it. I’ve never had a salesman be unable to meet his own offer before.

Wait a couple of days to see if they call, and come back with $7,250 as your final. Or if you really want it (kind of) call at the end of the day with that offer. They are looking for Saturday rush to sell it. We had good luck with our Mazda 5. My wife did not like the ride after time but here 2014 Rav4 is as rough and she loves the Rav4....Ha go figure.

Your price sounds perfectly reasonable. Tuesday is the last day of the month. Wait till around lunchtime and see if they will take your offer.

For the first 3 years/50k miles the car was leased with no oil change records on the Carfax. Plus with all the recent work done to it there may be an issue that hasn't been fixed. Lots of recent service visits then it's traded in makes me pause a bit. Unless I read that wrong.

I tried unsuccessfully to buy this 2009 Mazda 5 this morning. To cut to the chase they rejected my final offer of $7100 on the road, saying $7605 was their absolute lowest. This is after their initial quote of slightly over $9k which included such gems as an $899 brake light flasher they had already installed. KY tax is 6% and their price included $57 in registration (which is real) and a $299 doc fee (which seems way too much for a cash transaction.) The price keeps changing on the website but it was $6723 when I left home this morning.

Here’s the car in question: https://jeffwylerflorencehonda.com/used/Mazda/2009-Mazda-Mazda5-6c241a590a0e0a9a4819f87b04e4fd88.htm

Is my $7100 offer unreasonable? The car is very clean and appears mechanically solid but it is 14 years old. I’m current,y debating trying again with this one or trying my luck with a nice looking similarly priced 2012 with 30k more miles at a different dealer. This was an interesting experience in that it’s the first time the sales guy offered a number (the $7100) with the “Will you buy at this price if I can get it for you?” line and then came back with a no. Every other time they have offered a number for me to initial they’ve always accepted it. I’ve never had a salesman be unable to meet his own offer before.

You need to find a private seller of this 2009 Mazda 5, I would go on Autotrader, now this is where I went like 17 years ago. The point I am making is that I spent like $6000.00 less by driving from Maryland to Long Island New York to get this car. I forgot to factor in the price of the rental car and gas to go up there. Maybe less than $200.00, but in my area the dealers wanted $29,000 for something that I paid $23,000

Where I live in Maryland is nuts, years ago I went to 2 different dealerships for a base 2011 Chevrolet Impala and there was a $1900.00 difference. The dealership that quoted me the higher price is no longer in business.

As Smokey Robinson once sang, Better Shop Around!

My FIL had one. I remember it was a nice vehicle. Not a big seller so uncommon today. Sometimes that helps negotiations. I would but most don't want to buy an orphan. Also the Mazda 5 had several significant safety recalls. If the object of your search has not had them done and if the seller is unaware of that it could be parlayed into an advantage for you.

One of the recalls.

I would have walked by the sales manager’s office on the way out and told him he’s a clown, enjoy having the car on his lot instead of your cash in his hand.

well .... it is $6863 at this time of the day in their world...! WoW What clowns.

As someone who has sold cars for VW and Lexus, if the dealership is way off its sales quota don't expect any wiggle room on the price if they are at the tipping point they might budge on the last day.

The internet tells me its 6853 + TTT and their fee I suppose? My math tells me its $8400 or thereabouts. $800 less is a reasonable negotiation point I would say.

Its the weekend. Its the end of the month. I would say try them again on Monday - if you want it?

The fair price is what the buyer and seller are willing to agree on - no more, no less.

1677360025893.png

The internet tells me its 6853 + TTT and their fee I suppose? How does that compare to what your final price was?
$7482. Not counting the $899 brake light flasher - that's their problem 'cause they can't (or won't) sell a car without working brake lights.

Honest question - why do you care ? It's a massive new/used car dealer that probably sells 100 cars a day. You didn't hurt their feelings, if that's what you're concerned about.
I just wonder if I need to adjust my expectations of what a fair deal would be. His unsuccessful offer of $7100 was actually higher that I expected I would have to pay going in. I figured I could get it for $6800 based on past experience.

I just wonder if I need to adjust my expectations of what a fair deal would be. His unsuccessful offer of $7100 was actually higher that I expected I would have to pay going in. I figured I could get it for $6800 based on past experience.
Its a negotiation. Some negotiations succeed, and some don't. Your $500 apart. I would say you got really close, just not close enough, and so your expectations are not out of line. If they were you wouldn't have gotten that close.

So you need to decide if you want it $500 more. If not, wait till Monday, and see if there still stuck at that price. Its possible they are. Or maybe they just can't budge - weird things happen inside a car dealer, or any selling organization really.

Back