Did I goof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temps reached a balmy 22 degrees F today so out came the Chevron Supreme 5w-30 and in went to Havoline Synthetic 5w-30 and new motorcraft filter. Problem is in my rush to get done as quickly as possible, I forgot to collect the draining oil when I pulled the plug (I did remember to go for a 15 mintue drive to heat things up). By the time I started collecting drain oil it was almost at a trickle. I got about 1/4 of the Blackstone sample bottle filled before it all but stopped. The remainder of the sample bottle was filled with oil I poured out of the Supertech filter.

Is this sample any good or should I just trash it? I really wanted to see how the Chev Sup did with the cold weather. The interval is around 4600 miles.

Boy do I need to build that heated garage!

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Trash it. The sample is not representative and you won't like the results.

darn darn darn darn darn
frown.gif

Boy do I hate it when I foul things up!

Would it have been ok if I had just left the 1/4 filled container and not used the filter oil?

Mikep

Well..I think they require about 2/3 container. And getting the tail end is better than getting the first shot (which has water) But when you get the last part you are getting stuff which previously was floating (possibly) on the very top. Best is to get the halfway sample. I even move the container in and out of the oil flow (at approximately midway through the drain interval) to get a more representative sample. This is probably overkill
smile.gif

.One thing is though that the sample you got will probably show up antifreeze leak , TBN, and viscosity reasonably accurately (probably). But I think its still a waste.

BTW you are not the first person to do this-not by a long shot
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Trash it. The sample is not representative and you won't like the results.

I still think he should send it in, it's better than nothing at all, but then again I'm addicted to UOAs so of course I would say that.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
One thing is though that the sample you got will probably show up antifreeze leak , TBN, and viscosity reasonably accurately (probably). But I think its still a waste.

Al,

Can you explain where the anti-freeze would come from?

Mikep

Mike, I think Al meant if there was antifreeze in the sample it would show up in the analysis. I don't think he meant that you were going to see antifreeze because of the method.

Sorry to butt in, but it's what we New Yorkers do!

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Mike, I think Al meant if there was antifreeze in the sample it would show up in the analysis. I don't think he meant that you were going to see antifreeze because of the method.

Sorry to butt in, but it's what we New Yorkers do!

No need to apologize, thanks for your interpretation.

I may just send it in anyway. Since I've now got the Havoline synthetic in the crank it'll be a year before I have a chance to sample Chevron Supreme (or Havoline dino) in winter conditions and I just don't think I can wait that long
grin.gif

Perhaps I'll send an email to Blackstone and ask them. Like Al said, I can't be the first to have done this.

Mikep

Maybe I am new to the stuff but I fail to understand this. You mean the oil in my engine varies in the amount of ware metals based on where the oil is located? So I have good oil in the middle of the oil pan and bad oil in the oil filter and top of the oil pan. Please expain how this is happening? I guess Maybe I understand the filter thing but the rest of the sump should be consistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back