Did Amsoil used to offer a 4 micron spin on filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Back in the early 90s when I signed on as an Amsoil distributor (buying only for myself) I
swear I remember seeing literature that stated their spin on oil filters were capable of
removing a high % of 4 micron particles. Did I imagine this or does anyone here remember this?

Recall seeing or hearing that number bandied about, but don't think it was ever in the AMSOIL literature itself.
That may have been back in the dark ages, when AMSOIL was using the packed cotton filter media.

Amsoil filters are made by Baldwin; no secret. Are they just a relabeled Baldwin filter, or are they really something better?

I like Baldwin products a lot, so that's not a problem. By the way, Hastings filters are another Baldwin brand and identical except for the label and numbers. Baldwin told me that their Casite brand is lower quality.

Ken

Casite media is cheaper less restrictive. Designed to fit alot of applications so shops don't have to stock a zillion filters.

I agree baldwin is a great filter, media of Amsoil product is a mixed paper,fiberglass,and polyester.

I don't know if you can get same media from the red baldwin product.

4 micron question on Amsoil Full flow. Sure they can 1% of the time when they weren't in bypass from a cold start !
crushedcar.gif

I heard of a Amsoil dealer telling a fellow professional that the other day as if it was a revelation.
mad.gif

Amsoil products are good products....Once the dealers realize they are the target customer then it gets a bit dicey on how good you feel about selling the stuff while your upline is making a killing,and you get a check for $50 a month.
offtopic.gif
Sorry folks, I was a dealer once.

Ken-
According to a Baldwin rep----
AMSOIL came to them with the specs from HardDriver and Mobil 1 oil filters, and said they wanted to upgrade to beat them. Baldwin, having been in the business for a few years, and having done R&D, knew what media was necessary to do this. Although readily available, it was more expensive than the media being used, and in a price conscious world, not economical to use in the standard filters.
According to the same rep, there are a only few Baldwin filters which are using the same media that the AMSOIL branded ones use. Again, a cost thing.

****--

I'm presently questioning Amsoil about the recommendation for two of their filters. In both cases the bypass pressure is different from what Baldwin recommends. Baldwin specs 20 psid and Amsoil specs 8 psid; Amsoil doesn't even offer a 20 psid filter.

Anyway, Amsoil's head tech guy gave me a runaround and it sounded to me like he said, "I know what you need...ignore Baldwin," with none of the justification or technical information I asked for. The filter they recommended is SDF57. Baldwin recommends B1405. According to Baldwin, the SDF57 crosses to BT223 which Baldwin said not to use. I'm going back to OEM.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Ken,

What does the manufacturer of your engine require in filter bypass pressures?

How does one know? Where can one get that info? Is the bypass requirement determined by something inside the engine, or by the characteristics of the media?

Wish I knew all these answers. I asked Amsoil's tech rep. Got no answer.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back