Diagnostic/Electrical roll cart

Glad I didn't sell this cart, Made a home for my new Picoscope & all my electrical testing equipment. This will be a work in progress but this is what I got done today.
PC is a 27" HP Pavilion all in one, Custom built by my cousin with 32 GB of RAM, 4 TB SSD Drive, And a Intel Core i7-9700K

Attached a IV bag hanger for the Scope Box & Leads.....Gonna build a better/bigger telescoping swinging boom when time allows.

Installed a surge protector with a 25' cord on the back with 3M double sided tape.

Going from a Snap-on Vantage Pro to this is nothing short of amazing!! The pictures don't do it justice as far as resolution of the scope.

JUf0WPu.jpg

vwO6Exp.jpg

iQF3UCv.jpg

dc2WtRg.jpg

cVTwgxj.jpg

Nqi977V.jpg

sZMZtCq.jpg

QGHCzRd.jpg

KULuG5x.jpg

Unless you're ohm'ing a component coil like an Injector......An Ohmmeter is just about a worthless tool in my opinion. Besides.....I have a 4 Channel Scope.

OE diagnostic flow charts call for Ohm'ing out wiring a lot.....Again, Completely worthless. If it can't handle Amperage without Voltage Drop....It might as well be Open.

To be honest.....I don't know what a 4 wire Ohm Meter is, Both my Multimeters do have 4 Banana Jacks.

I used to use a MUT III and it came with it's own cart, printer, keyboard etc. More than just a scanner, but it didn't require any other hook ups. I keep my diagnostic gear out of sight, workshops are too public, but I did used to have a 3 level cart with a draw for my stuff.

3 amp probes...I'm sure they will all have their place. I have the big one, and a low amp probe. 20 years ago I was very much into that stuff, current ramping coils and fuel pumps, anything else I could find. I was very much into ign diagnostics, but it's hard to look at that on a scope now, plugs last forever and the spark will jump a 4mm gap with no symptoms.

I'm not concerned with theft, I pick & chose my clientele very carefully. I don't advertise or otherwise make my business known to the general public.

Have 3 business fleet accounts & 6 car lot accounts, Plus long time clients, Neighbors, Family, Friends.....Keeps me at 110% most of the time.

You need a WPS500x and a first look sensor for engine mechanical testing. I also use my WPS on range 3 for evap testing. I have 3 snapon 4 channel scopes, an Autel 4 channel, a vantage, and various other one and 2 channel scopes built into tools. My pico quickly became my first grab scope. I am currently hooked up to various inputs on a car with an intermittent stall waiting for it to stall. I zoomed out to the point I have an hr of time on the screen. When it dies I will pause it and zoom in to see what happened

To be honest.....I don't know what a 4 wire Ohm Meter is, Both my Multimeters do have 4 Banana Jacks.
It's a fancy battery tester.

By figuring out the internal resistance of the battery (without a full amperage load test), you can diagnose a bad cell that holds an OK float voltage.

Not recommending any of these, as I haven't tried them, but here's all I could find on a quick search:

"The internal resisitance is measured with the internaltional standard AC signal(1000Hz +-10%)by means of four-wire method to eliminate the impact of the resistance of the test leads on the measured valus,and the battery voltage can also be measured by the same connection method."

Last edited:
You need a WPS500x and a first look sensor for engine mechanical testing. I also use my WPS on range 3 for evap testing. I have 3 snapon 4 channel scopes, an Autel 4 channel, a vantage, and various other one and 2 channel scopes built into tools. My pico quickly became my first grab scope. I am currently hooked up to various inputs on a car with an intermittent stall waiting for it to stall. I zoomed out to the point I have an hr of time on the screen. When it dies I will pause it and zoom in to see what happened
The WPS500X is on back order, It will get drop shipped from Pico, Was included in the kit I bought. Was looking at the First Look Sensor....But need to heal up a bit before spending more money.

Reactions: JC1
It's a fancy battery tester.

I have a load tester that's good enough, There are plenty of shops around that do "Total Car Care" which means "We do all the easy stuff", My accounts have "Mechanics" on staff that take care of basic maintenance & small mechanical issues like Starters, Batteries & Alternators assuming it's straightforward.
I believe that the industry is headed in this direction, Nobody wants to pay top dollar for a Master Mechanic to perform menial tasks. We're going to be regulated to Diagnostics, Electrical, HVAC, & Complicated/Skilled mechanical repairs.

, Nobody wants to pay top dollar for a Master Mechanic to perform menial tasks. We're going to be regulated to Diagnostics, Electrical, HVAC, & Complicated/Skilled mechanical repairs.

What I've noticed with the younger mechanics these days is that they don't want to do menial tasks, they consider themselves above that. They don't start at the bottom, they start at the top which they consider their natural place.

I have a load tester that's good enough, There are plenty of shops around that do "Total Car Care" which means "We do all the easy stuff", My accounts have "Mechanics" on staff that take care of basic maintenance & small mechanical issues like Starters, Batteries & Alternators assuming it's straightforward.
I believe that the industry is headed in this direction, Nobody wants to pay top dollar for a Master Mechanic to perform menial tasks. We're going to be regulated to Diagnostics, Electrical, HVAC, & Complicated/Skilled mechanical repairs.

That is making really nice use of that cart, I like the all in on PC. I agree that Master mechanics are not getting paid to do small jobs and that's a good thing IMO.
I don't do anywhere near as much work as I used to but when I do I it is nice if its challenging and something others were not able to do for one reason or another. I get no satisfaction whatsoever from changing a starter, a LCA, struts, etc, to me they are PIA that has to be done, I do them on my own car but usually not for someone else.

The WPS500X is on back order, It will get drop shipped from Pico, Was included in the kit I bought. Was looking at the First Look Sensor....But need to heal up a bit before spending more money.
Go for the autoditex pressure pulse sensor vs the sen x first look. The ditex sensors are 85 bucks on Ebay. I have the ditex sensor as well as one from my friend Cody Gaddie over at Cody's auto diagnostics. Both work equally well and we couldn't tell the difference vs those and the much more expensive senx one that a friend has

What I've noticed with the younger mechanics these days is that they don't want to do menial tasks, they consider themselves above that. They don't start at the bottom, they start at the top which they consider their natural place.

At least here.....Trade schools like UTI make these kids believe they have all the skills necessary once they graduate the program, Here I am almost 30 years in learning a Picoscope.

4TB SSD, Wow! That would not have been inexpensive. Very nice setup!

Traded out some work for it, He owns a 1996 Sierra Shortwide that he had built while living in Silicon Valley. They put a 700R4 behind a 500hp 383 SBC which failed in under 5,000 miles. I built a 4L80E, Installed it, Wired in a FAST controller & he paid for all the parts while being my helper.

Haven't seen him much in the last 10 years, So it was good to hang out & catch up. Glad to say that money & living in Cali didn't change who he is!

.....Yes, That V-belt system is coming off & getting a GMPP serpentine system.

FjUVKUu.jpg

kZTqtoN.jpg

V0Ltxp5.jpg

LkHgd1C.jpg

Back