Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought 12 qts of Dexron VI from my local dealer to replace fluid in my 97 Blazer. Seems to shift a lot smoother than the Dexron III. I'll keep an eye on it to see how long before the fluid starts discoloring. So far so good for $5.01/qt.
grin.gif

Quote:

you will ruin your tranny with this fluid because it is a low viscosity,sheared down fluid!! it is designed for the newer tranny >2007

crackmeup.gif

Quote:

i would be interested in seeing a voa on this new fluid and see if the 3 companies that told this to me are wrong!! i doubt it....
fence.gif

crackmeup.gif

Dexron VI is approved for use in all General Motors Passenger cars, trucks, and vans with automatic transmissions. Recommended for all GM Vehicles that require Dexron-III or Dexron-IIIH Specification.
smirk.gif

thats all well and good and so are sm oils and we all know what thats all about.. we will find out what i know is true that the new dextron VI oils are sheared down on purpose and they are lower viscosity tranny fluid.redline will be coming out with their version in about 6 months...ford was the first to make this kind on fluid 2 yrs ago it is called mercon sp

we will find out what i know is true that the new dextron VI oils are sheared down on purpose.
hmmmmmm.

A 20wt oil falls between 5.6-9.3cst. Most ATFs are blended in the ~7-7.5 range. Some of the higher mileage ATFs hit up to 8.5cst. And, I've seen some racing ATFs that are 30wts in the 10cst range. Does this mean that regular ATF is presheared high mileage ATF? or seriously sheared racing ATF?
laugh.gif

So, DexronVI is NOT presheared. It, like WS and SP, are blended to 6.0cst using higher quality basestocks and additives that maintain that viscosity over a longer period of time.

So what is better, a DexronIII 7.5cst fluid that shears to 5.8 in 10k miles? Or, a 6.0cst ATF that shears to 5.8 in 10k miles?
At 30k, 60k, 100k the numbers will show the true quality of both fluids.

And, what are the side effects of excessive ATF shearing of the thicker ATFs? additive breakdown? varnish and crud buildup? increased oxidation? Mineral DexronIII just doesn't look so good any more.

So, blending to a different viscosity is NOT presheared down. Thats some ignorant thinking. 5w20 is not sheared down 5w30 oil. And, 75w85 is not sheared down 75w90 gear oil.

I think that DexronVI is a step in the right direction. But, so was MerconV and ATF+4, and a bunch of other blended or full synthetic ATFs. GM is a little slow!

well, this will be interesting to find out when redline comes out with its version...dave explained to me that the new dextron VI is pre sheared and a lower viscosity fluid to meet the new trannys and he says this oil is NOT recommened for my 98 fords..i use d4 fluid

Quote:

well, this will be interesting to find out when redline comes out with its version...dave explained to me that the new dextron VI is pre sheared...

Yeah, I'm quite sure someone at Redline told you Dex VI is "pre sheared."
crackmeup.gif

A typical DEXRON-III fluid is blended to about 7.5cSt @ 100C when new. Those fluide however typically shear down to about 4.2cST in about 80,000 miles depending on operating conditions. Most of that shearing takes place in the first 5,000 miles.
One of the features of DEXRON-VI,if you look at the spec, is that it is BLENDED to a lower viscosity but has much more stringent shear stability requirements so that it CANNOT shear much below 5.5cSt EVER!

Quote:

so i guess the three companies that i spoke with are wrong..amazing!!

How about letting us know which 3 companies you spoke with so we can make our own inquiries?
Quote:

dave...says this oil is NOT recommened for my 98 fords.

Dave is right. I wouldn't use Dexron VI in a Ford transmission either...
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back