Dexron VI, 43k miles on fluid, 6L80e

I recently changed the ATF & filter in our 07 Yukon Denali. I took a sample with a JG Lubricant Services used oil analysis kit. They use Polaris Laboratories. Sent it in and 5 working days later here are the results. This is the same fluid and filter as sample result #1.

Lab flagged the viscosity of 5.6, so I called Tom Johnson of JG Lubricant Services. Tom is co-owner of JG Lubricants. He spent 30 yrs with GM/Allison as a fluids engineer developing the TES295 spec, etc. He said when viscosity gets to 5.5 they recommend changing the fluid. When viscosity gets to 5.0 bushings etc start to wear. So my timing this fluid/filter change worked out good. Not too early, not too late.

Tranny has 174k miles since new. 43k miles ago, while doing the engine rear main seal job, I replaced the original torque converter as a preventative mx item. That was the last time I changed all the fluid and the filter.
DSCN0021.JPG

Dexron VI has a starting viscosity of from 5.9 cSt to 6.1 cSt so it didn't shear down very much and it shouldn't.

One of the reasons Dexron VI was developed was to keep the viscosity stable and from dipping below 4.5 cSt where wear really starts to show. Another reason was to use a new stable friction modification chemistry.

The wear depends highly on the multifunctional phosphorus/boron package in the DI, which does degrade over time and becomes less effective, but it too is very stable.

Last edited:
Really? How would that work?

FEATURES & BENEFITS​

• For use with any required *ATF’s! Check out our OEM ATF & Conversion Chart for coverage.
  • Prevents overheating, reducing elevated operating temperatures
  • Extends fluid life
  • Eliminates transmission fluid foaming and oxidation
  • Reduces wear throughout the transmission
  • Eliminates clutch chatter and torque converter shudder
  • Optimizes total transmission performance
  • Softens and modifies harsh shifts making them quicker in duration
  • Maintains proper ATF viscosity index in the torque Converter
  • Provides for smoother shifting
  • Eliminates objectionable noises during shifts
  • Keeps valves and governors free and frees stuck valves in valve bodies
  • Assists in eliminating warranty comebacks
  • Raises the thermal and oxidative stability of the fluid
  • Only protectant that increases the fluid’s ability to transfer heat
  • Does not contain any harmful components such as zinc (ZDDP) ash, etc. like other competing products
  • Protects new seals and permanently restores older seals to a “like-new” condition, without adverse side effects.
  • Also for use in manuals that require ATF
*Except CVT, DCT, and Ford Type F [1986 and earlier models] applications.

Well no additive is going to prevent the VII molecules from experiencing mechanical shear. That just isn't possible. So if it states:
Then that is by increasing the viscosity of the overall fluid. I guess I'd rather go with what MolaKule posted above.

Well no additive is going to prevent the VII molecules from experiencing mechanical shear. That just isn't possible. So if it states:
Then that is by increasing the viscosity of the overall fluid. I guess I'd rather go with what MolaKule posted above.
  • Maintains proper ATF viscosity index in the torque Converter - - -
According to Lubegard - - it achieves this by using esters to raise the fluids ability to shed heat and reduce mechanical shearing - - not by increasing the viscosity of the host fluid.

Do some research online - - - it is one of the few additives that really works to keep your fluid, shifts, and trans in working order.

• Maintains proper ATF viscosity index in the torque Converter - - -
According to Lubegard - - it achieves this by using esters to raise the fluids ability to shed heat and reduce mechanical shearing - - not by increasing the viscosity of the host fluid.

Do some research online - - - it is one of the few additives that really works to keep your fluid, shifts, and trans in working order.
Yeah, well I guess I've never worried about that what with over 460,000 miles on my old Sienna and never used the additive. But thanks.

And heat isn't what causes VII molecules to shear.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I guess I've never worried about that what with over 460,000 miles on my old Sienna and never used the additive. But thanks.

And heat isn't what causes VII molecules to shear.
Really........

All of which is interesting (and important) but isn't what I was referring to nor was it what MalibuRam65 stated when he said "Lubeguard help prevent the shearing hence prolonging the drain interval". That is what I was answering.

All of which is interesting (and important) but isn't what I was referring to nor was it what MalibuRam65 stated when he said "Lubeguard help prevent the shearing hence prolonging the drain interval". That is what I was answering.
You said heat did not cause VII molecules to shear.....
This was incorrect.

Lubeguard help prevent the shearing hence prolonging the drain interval
Nothing can really prevent mechanical shearing of the VII molecules.

Certain VII chemistry has been developed which resists shearing and may prolong viscosity, but again, nothing can really prevent mechanical shearing of the VII molecules.

Resisting and preventing are two different concepts.

When someone asks, how does that work, they are asking, "Which or what chemistry in the fluid produces a specific tribological effect?"

Responding with a paste from the product's marketing page proves nothing.

ILI's specific product, LubeGard Red has the LXE ester, in which the ester's varnish cleaning effects seems to be the most pronounced effect.

Last edited:
Nothing can really prevent mechanical shearing of the VII molecules.

Certain VII chemistry has been developed which resists shearing and may prolong viscosity, but again, nothing can really prevent mechanical shearing of the VII molecules.

Resisting and preventing are two different concepts.

When someone asks, how does that work, they are asking, "Which or what chemistry in the fluid produces a specific tribological effect?"

Responding with a paste from the product's marking page proves nothing.

ILI's specific product, LubeGard Red has the LXE ester, in which the ester's varnish cleaning effects seems to be the most pronounced effect.
Perhaps prolong is a better descriptor.

All I know is that shifting degradation was always much slower when I used lubegard in the trans.
In some applications it lowered Trans temps by 10-15c.

Perhaps prolong is a better descriptor.

All I know is that shifting degradation was always much slower when I used lubegard in the trans.
In some applications it lowered Trans temps by 10-15c.
Yeah that slowing shifting degradation was most likely due to the benefits lubeguard lol so yeah I’ll keep on copying and Pasting 😎😎🇷

Back