Dexron II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 96 lexus ES300 that has Dexron II in it. I went looking for some and all I find is Dex/Merc mix or Dexron VI.
Which one should I put in? I'm simply drain/filling it.

How many miles do you have on your Lexus? Have you done any drain and fills since you got it?

I think that a Dex/Merc should do well with your application. But we should probably wait for one of the experts to chime in.

Lots of good Dex/Merc fluids out there that are easily found. My Personal favorite is Maxlife due to is availability and it dosent blow a hole in your wallet.

Dex Merc mix is a continuation of the old "Dexron 3" which backspecs to 2. (You'll note they don't use the trademarked Dexron name.) However, you have to trust the bottler to have it meet all specs. Dex 6 is the current licensed product with a top shelf syn blend basestock and tightly controlled additive.

I havent come to trust dex VI in non-GM applications that spec back to an older dex fluid. Im afraid of materials compatability, e.g. viton seals and whatnot.

Id love to try to run dex VI in everything, but Im not trusting it just yet for other stuff.

Your AT is probably new enough that it isnt an issue...

So Dex/merc then. I did read back label on it and it stated that it's compatible where Dex II is required.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
How many miles do you have on your Lexus? Have you done any drain and fills since you got it?

I think that a Dex/Merc should do well with your application. But we should probably wait for one of the experts to chime in.

Lots of good Dex/Merc fluids out there that are easily found. My Personal favorite is Maxlife due to is availability and it dosent blow a hole in your wallet.

178,000 miles on it. Fluid looks a bit dark/little burnt or maybe it just seems like that to me

Dexron II has been long discontinued. Except for Hondas, Dexron-III (itself discontinued) is the replacement. Dexron/Mercon ATFs are not mixtures of the two fluids. They are fluids that are made to meet both specs (and both are discontinued). Any fluid that says it meets the old Dexron-III spec will work fine for you. By the way, there is real Dexron-III available under a new name...Allison TES-389 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back