Dexos1 Gen1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Sorry if this question sounds n00by. So the other day I was cleaning my house when I came across a few fresh quarts of M1 5W-30 I had bought 4 years ago but hadn't gotten to. They're rated for Dexos1 but it's not Gen2. Was wondering if it's safe to use in my ‘15 CTS with the 2.0T engine, especially when mixed with newer stock that is Gen2.

I do get free oil changes at the stealership when my OLM drops to 20% for another 8 months, but I always do an "interim" oil change myself about halfway between each visit. Maybe it's overkill, but most of my trips are under 7 mi with an occasional long road trip 2-3 times a year. As the saying goes, oil is cheap but engines are not.

Use it without hesitation.
---- Mobil1 dexos1 Gen1 is fine to use in current 2018 & 2019 GM turbo + direct injection engines, and certainly in your 2015 model too. My Owner's Manual for a 1.5T '18 Equinox says ALL Mobil1 synthetics are good to use, regardless of whether or not they are Gen1 or Gen2, doesn't matter as long as it says Mobil1 on the bottle. (Other brands of oil must be dexos1 Gen2.)

The reason why all generations of Mobil1 are OK to use in current GM engines: Mobil1 has had low-calcium LSPI-resistant formulations for about 10 years now.

Shake the old Mobil1 bottles or jugs to make sure any normal additive fallout gets mixed back in before pouring.

I don't think Mobil had to change much, if anything, for their d1g1 oils to be certified for d1g2. They were always using a low calcium formula that everyone else switched to recently to meet d1g2 and SN+. I would run it. Just shake well!

Dexos Gen2 didn't even come out until 2 years after your car so why would it be necessary for your vehicle? Dexos gen1 was released in 2015. The GM 2.0L Turbo has been around a lot longer than either specification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by stanlee
Dexos Gen2 didn't even come out until 2 years after your car so why would it be necessary for your vehicle?
Actually they had pretty much nailed it down in 2015 as a response to recent problems. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B6SHa4qv60 for the emergence of dexos1 Gen2 in 2015. Shelf stock finally came in 2017.
Dexos gen1 was released in 2015.
No, dexos1 Gen1 came out in 2010.
The GM 2.0L Turbo has been around a lot longer than either specification.
True, except dexos1 Gen2 was in response to a high incidence of LSPI and turbo deposits from recent GM turbo DI engines.

welcome2.gif

Yes, the gen1 will be ok to use with no problem
smile.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Dexos Gen2 didn't even come out until 2 years after your car so why would it be necessary for your vehicle?
Actually they had pretty much nailed it down in 2015 as a response to recent problems. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B6SHa4qv60 for the emergence of dexos1 Gen2 in 2015. Shelf stock finally came in 2017.
Dexos gen1 was released in 2015.
No, dexos1 Gen1 came out in 2010.
The GM 2.0L Turbo has been around a lot longer than either specification.
True, except dexos1 Gen2 was in response to a high incidence of LSPI and turbo deposits from recent GM turbo DI engines.

I see I was full of fail there lol. Heck I never even saw Gen2 on a shelf until 2018

Never heard of Honda, Toyota, Ford, F/C or GM mandate/require following an OLM whose bell won't ring for hypothetical 7-10K.
Which major auto-passenger manufacturer does this?

I heard of recommending, but not requiring/basing warranties on.

Last edited:
''manufacturers base their warranties on the OLM '' can easily be defined as following the warranty for coverage of said-vehicle.
(Otherwise)... Most everyone says either required or recommended, when discussing coverage.

Last edited:
I've been right there for decades of reading manuals. Now you're getting close (recommended) in using correct definitions of warranty.
Your wording in that prior post was misleading /construed incorrectly.
No big deal.... I'm done with this chapter.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like it should be okay to use. I don't drive this car that much so my OCI is based more on time rather than mileage. Last year I drove less than 7000 mi and I had the oil changed about 2-3 times.

That being said the only reason I somewhat follow the OLM is to take advantage of my free oil changes at the dealer. Since I get one at 20%, I change it myself when it gets down to 60% and just not reset the OLM.

The attached page shows a number of VOAs for synthetic 5W30s from 2013...the one for M1 looks very much like the formulations of present d1G2 oils.
The Castrol Edge was even more extreme in lowering calcium and raising the level of magnesium, but they actually went back to a high calcium formulation not long after this VOA was published.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

You've got an oil for which d1G2 is kind of redundant, I started using M1 5W30 in my DIT engine not long after I learned about LSPI based on the VOAs I saw and was glad for that when my car was recalled for that very problem. Nowadays I am comfortable with Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. as long as it is d1G2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back