Dexcool + Prestone AMAM Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dexcool in my truck is eight years old. It looks very normal with no discolouration or precipitates. But I am going to do a distilled water flush and refill with Dexcool. Note my thirteen year old truck has never had any coolant related issues.

I have a gallon of Dexcool concentrate from 2011 and need another gallon. I went to Canadian Tire to get a gallon of Dexcool and noticed that the Prestone AMAM was three dollars cheaper, so I bought it instead, based solely on price.

Any issue with running the Dexcool/ Prestone AMAM mix in my truck?

Originally Posted by George7941

Yes....don't mix different coolants. A distilled water flush is a good idea but first off..take that Prestone AMAM back and get either Dexcool or Peak Global Lifetime. A gallon of concentrate and a gallon of 50/50 is best to get the mixture just right when flushing with water.

My thinking, you've been using Dex OAT AF with 2eha and happy with it. You want to use Prestone "universal" OAT AF also with 2eha. In this case I don't see an issue with mixing. If there's one AF application I'd be ok using a Dexclone universal like Prestone for or mixing with, it would be in a DexCool AF application. My .02

Originally Posted by Warstud

Yes....don't mix different coolants. A distilled water flush is a good idea but first off..take that Prestone AMAM back and get either Dexcool or Peak Global Lifetime. A gallon of concentrate and a gallon of 50/50 is best to get the mixture just right when flushing with water.

This is the only method that ensures no downside. It's what I'd do. Dexcool in my 1999 Chevy since day 1 with no issues.

I made the same mistake once with AMAM and did return it after reading through numerous threads here about regular Dexcool vs variants with "AMAM" compatability.

Last edited:
Last MSDS I read Prestone AMAM was a OAT coolant like Dexcool without the dye.

I've done this, transitioning from Dex to Supertech AMAM, no problems. The radiator did develop a seam leak at 130K miles, but I don't see how the coolant could have been responsible. Coolant has stayed very clean, no sludge or crud in the system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back