Dexcool and Green stuff mixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you completly change a long life anti-freeze vehicle to the green stuff? Or what might happen if they have been mixed, dexcool and the green stuff? Could the mixing damage anything or cause any problems?

i can only relate my personal exerience when i did something similar to that in my 94 Impala SS which came with green from the factory. I decided to change it over to the new improved Long Life DexCool. Big mistake. I flushed out the old green and when in with the new orange DexCool. It began to sludge up. By that I mean it became brown with a rusty brown sediment. The sediment collected in all the pockets and crevases in the rad, block and reservoir. I then decided to go back to the green. I tried everything to flush out the now brown Dexcool. It was impossible to remove even after many flushes and treatments. I finally put in the green stuff and it would go brown after a few weeks. I found that much of the problem was due to the compartments in the reservoir. I finally removed it and washed in with soap and warm water and turned it upside down to remove the sludge. I finally got most of it out. Morale of the story is the two don't mix. Try keeping the Long Life but changing it every year so it wont break down.

Mixing Dexcool with the normal green stuff usually results in bad, bad things.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
i can only relate my personal exerience when i did something similar to that in my 94 Impala SS which came with green from the factory. I decided to change it over to the new improved Long Life DexCool. Big mistake..... Morale of the story is the two don't mix. Try keeping the Long Life but changing it every year so it wont break down.

Yours is a common tale of woe on a Green to DExcool switch.

People who flush the Dexcool and go to green don't seem to have the brown death syndrome though.

when people say dexcool are they talking about the GM factory Dexcool made by Havoline texaco

or the 5/150 prestone dexcool compatible (orange) stuff.

they are a little different.

Yep, I've used both, though mainly the Prestone version. Never had any sludged, sand, leaks, anything. 92K on the engine and have used the stuff since it had <10K.

Many people on the Impala forum have switched to green with no problems. Most Impala owners that stuck with Dex, including myself, have had one or more heater core clogs related to Dexcool. My second clog was after a thorough conventional flush, an RMI flush, and replacing the GM Dex with Prestone Dex and no sealant pills. I decided to stick with an advanced coolant, but switched to Toyota Red.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
.... Most Impala owners that stuck with Dex, including myself, have had one or more heater core clogs related to Dexcool. .....I decided to stick with an advanced coolant, but switched to Toyota Red.

How long have you had on the Toyota red and how is it working?

Oh, I also switched to Dex in my '93 Ciera, now grandma's, back in '97, before I had heard the horror stories. It's still in there with no problems. I even put the sealant tablets in. I really should flush it, since it's been in there 6 years/88k...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back