Derecho

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=13319436

Quote:
s a widespread and long-lived, violent convectively induced straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms in the form of a squall line usually taking the form of a bow echo. Derechos blow in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to a gust front, except that the wind is sustained and generally increases in strength behind the "gust" front. A warm weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially June and July in the northern hemisphere. They can occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as in the daylight hours.

derecho_M01.JPG

WOW! You found one just like I saw here a couple years ago. I could never find the words to describe it other than a huge, round pottery bowl.

The one I saw, one side of the interstate was pitch black, the other was sunny. An amazing spectacle to see!

Thank you for posting this!
cheers3.gif

That storm system that blew down the Cowboys training facility last week was the beginning of a derecho that went all the way to Georgia.

Originally Posted By: buster

I would love to see one.

Take a storm tour with this guy. I've met him through one of my chasing buddies. One of the best tour guides out there, and cheaper then the large tour alternatives. You only live once! If you're a weather fanatic, you've never experienced a thunderstorm until you experience a great plains violent supercell thunderstorm.

http://www.chasetours.com/index.html

Get the damage waiver on a rental and sample some softball sized hail!

Last edited:
All I have to do is stay where I'm at, I've seen enough violent supercell leading edge formations and wall clouds pass overhead wherever I happen to be that I sure don't need to go looking for them!
I remember one summer afternoon between 1979 and 1984, I was in the most densely populated square mile of Dallas, and saw not only the wall cloud, but a rotation cylinder forming directly in my path, which luckily never touched down but remained horizontal up above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back